Linea Nigra?

aeni

My boyfriend has noticed the line on me the last couple of months. Being very "anti baby" right now, he can't help but wonder if I'm pregnant. I'm thinking this is just a skin discoloration from the extra estrogen from my bc pills. I've done research, but can't find anything helpful really. Have any of you ladies had this before?

Shimmer

Call your doctor and ask him if that's a side effect.
smiles.gif

IslandGirl77

I developed dark spots on my skin, face to because exact from the birth control. I told my Doctor and she prescribed a cream. But, it won't go completely away until you get off the pill. Even after that it can take a while. I was on Ortho Lo for 9 months. They say the best way to keep it from darkening is to stay out of direct sunlight and use sunscreen. Not sure if that helps. You can google dark spot from BC and it will pull up info.

VeronikaJ

Hmm, I have never heard of this happening due to birth control pills. I thought this was an isolated effect only with prego women, but the birth control theory seems very believable. My mom said she experienced this in between her pregancies (not just during) so it could be just hormones. I would take a pregnancy test to make sure though.

xiahe

I have one too and I just noticed it this morning before I took a shower, but my boyfriend keeps assuring me that he has seen it for awhile now. Apparently he even asked me what it was and I told him I had no idea (but I don't remember that lol). I'm a BC user (I'm on aviane) *and* I'm also an avid soy milk drinker, and soy contains estrogen. A linea nigra also generally appears during the second or third trimester. I just had my period about 2 weeks ago so it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to already be that far along in pregnancy lol. Any thoughts?

mtrimier

I have always had those, mine run horizontally and vertically (like a big cross hair on my uterus) and they did get worse from BC. After I stopped they went back to their normal shade. I figure if i ever get drunk enough to conceive and end up needing a c-section, I'm pre-marked.
tong.gif

MAC_Pixie04

That can be caused by your BC, your packaging should have an insert with the side effects. I know some forms of hormonal bc can cause "pregnancy mask" (melasma) without the woman necessarily having been pregnant.

Nox

I remember seeing some of my friends with it as early as middle school. They were not on birth control, and they were not pregnant.

But it could be an indication of a hormonal swing that often happens to young adolescent girls.

I also used to have that darker line in my early teenage years and I did use birth control some years ago as well. To my surprise, I no longer have that dark line, it is completely the same color as the rest of my belly. So I guess it just kind of went away on its own.

From what I've read, and based upon my personal experience, I think its presence is very heavily tied to hormones.