MAC FAQ: PPID/MAC PRO Card

Kah

how many members have "upgraded" their mac card, i.e. originally applied as a hair stylist but want to apply as a makeup artist? Thanks

I'm a freelance makeup artist, and I mostly do makeup for teenagers for their prom/graduation, as well as some weddings. How would I apply for a card? Someone stated on the main page that a business card and newspaper ad worked, but that post was from a few years ago. Would that still apply now? Should I get a letter of recommendation from a previous client (since they're individuals and not contract work I'm not sure this applies) or send in contact information for a couple of them as well?

Also, I have no drivers license or passport at the moment. What should I send in as ID?

hello_kitty

Do you have a state issued ID card? They look like a driver's license, but are for ID purposes only. They're usually $15-20 from your DMV, and definitely handy to have! MAC accepts these because they're government issued (I'm assuming you're in the U.S., I apologize if you're not
smiles.gif
)

MUALindsay

Can one use a gift card w/ their Pro discount at a freestanding store?

I don't understand why not, and therefore why it's not an option on the Pro site. How many of us could receive a MAC gift card instead of Cash for birthday/holiday because people don't know we have a Pro card???

purplerinne

I got my pro card today!!!
th_DANCE.gif
It only took 2 weeks to get it bc i sent off my app on Sept. 15......too bad I don't have any money to buy anything LOL

Oh and I sent in a check....

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGrndM99

I don't understand why not, and therefore why it's not an option on the Pro site. How many of us could receive a MAC gift card instead of Cash for birthday/holiday because people don't know we have a Pro card???

Yes, I am told you can....you just can't buy a gift card with with your Pro Discount per my friend

1165Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGrndM99

At stores like Macy's, Nordstroms ect you cant use your Pro card but you can at free standing Mac Pro stores. I myself buy direct but dont have a Pro card buy many of my buyers that are makeup artist do. I recently asked one that works at Macy's Mac counter about this subject and above is what she had told me. Hope this helps?
smiles.gif

purplerinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
At stores like Macy's, Nordstroms ect you cant use your Pro card but you can at free standing Mac Pro stores. I myself buy direct but dont have a Pro card buy many of my buyers that are makeup artist do. I recently asked one that works at Macy's Mac counter about this subject and above is what she had told me. Hope this helps?
smiles.gif

I think what she meant is that if you get a gift card as a gift can we use it with our pro discount....since Xmas is coming up I know I'll be getting MAC gc's and my family members don't know I have the pro card. So if I go in the store and pick up some stuff, can the discount be applied and a gc as a form of payment?

It would be nice if we could...but hey, giftcards are great regardless cuz it's not my money LOL

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerinne
I think what she meant is that if you get a gift card as a gift can we use it with our pro discount....since Xmas is coming up I know I'll be getting MAC gc's and my family members don't know I have the pro card. So if I go in the store and pick up some stuff, can the discount be applied and a gc as a form of payment?

It would be nice if we could...but hey, giftcards are great regardless cuz it's not my money LOL

Yes you can use a Giftcard to pay for your purchases...you just can't buy a Giftcard with your Pro discount, she is saying...I just asked my Pro store Mgr ....she is my neighbor LOL ...sorry I did not explain it better....I give her a GC every year for Christmas and she uses it towards her purchases

MACandie2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aefreema
I know people have asked this but I don't feel like sifting through the entire thread.

I am just starting out as an artist. I have a business card but no portfolio or resume...YET (I am attending the Artist Summit in Miami in October to attend seminars and workshops). If I fax/mail my business card and license, will that suffice? If not, what else could I do? I'm in graduate school and this Fall I plan on doing ALOT of makeup for people on campus (Homecoming, Pageants, Test Shooting, local Modelling clubs, etc.) but I am still building up my kit to accomodate everyone. I have a Nixie and Illamasqua pro discount also...should I create a resume and just add these memberships to help prove my profession? HELP ME! I just really need that discount to help kick off my artistry! Thanks guys! Muchos besos!

mac_addict.gif

I turned in my photo ID, my makeup artist license, and a business card and I got approved for the MAC Pro card. HTH
winks.gif

purplerinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1124
Yes you can use a Giftcard to pay for your purchases...you just can't buy a Giftcard with your Pro discount, she is saying...I just asked my Pro store Mgr ....she is my neighbor LOL ...sorry I did not explain it better....I give her a GC every year for Christmas and she uses it towards her purchases

Glad to know I can get giftcards and use my discount....bring on the giftcards!!!!!! WOO HOOOOOO

Makeupaddict88

I got my certificate through an online school and I only freelance. Would they even accept my certificate as being recognized? Also, if not would a business card and copy of my ID be enough? I just don't want to send in money for them to return it within a week with no card.

hello_kitty

A business card and ID alone would not be enough, as you need two pieces of "proof" as I call them. You could include something like reference letters and contracts.

Sushi~Flower

I sent in my resume, a head shot and a program from Brian Boitano's American Open professional Championships where my partner and I are listed *with photo. My application was just approved, it took around 2 weeks give or take a day, and I sent it directly by mail.
th_happy1.gif
Oh it will be a dangerous thing...working for MAC and having that card....
mac_atemywallet.gif

For those of you who already have it, do you take advantage of the pro classes offered? What do you think of them
smiles.gif

hello_kitty

^^ Lucky!
smiles.gif

I sent my stuff in two weeks ago from tomorrow, and I haven't heard anything and haven't seen a charge on my Amex yet. I HATE waiting
ssad.gif

purplerinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi~Flower
I sent in my resume, a head shot and a program from Brian Boitano's American Open professional Championships where my partner and I are listed *with photo. My application was just approved, it took around 2 weeks give or take a day, and I sent it directly by mail.
th_happy1.gif
Oh it will be a dangerous thing...working for MAC and having that card....
mac_atemywallet.gif

For those of you who already have it, do you take advantage of the pro classes offered? What do you think of them
smiles.gif

I want to! Luckily I have easy access to a pro store...I really want to take the Hi Def class I think it's in November....

MUALindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi~Flower
Anyone happen to know if the MAC Pro card can be used to purchase the Iwata airbrush system????

No, it can not.

MUALindsay

Alright, dumb question...

I think I heard the MA at MAC say I could order via the store, and she knew I had my Pro Card...

There's a couple things I missed out on, via online, (Black Greasepaint Stick & Nude Rose Lipstick), if I call the store (St. Louis Freestanding) and they are available, can they ship them to me, and use my discount? Yes, I know I'll have to pay shipping.

-Thanks.