Metal-X Discussion

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
ok hopefully someone can read this and help me: for those who have bought the glitter liners with metal x or previous collections--do you use the applicator in the tube or do you guys take your own brush and dip it in (I'm thinking for sanitary purposes)???

I use the original applicator, but now that you've mentioned it... might be a bit too late for me now, tho! I mainly used the original b/c I don't/didn't have an eyeliner brush.

j_absinthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
ok hopefully someone can read this and help me: for those who have bought the glitter liners with metal x or previous collections--do you use the applicator in the tube or do you guys take your own brush and dip it in (I'm thinking for sanitary purposes)???

If you're the only one using the liner, feel free to use the brush that's accompanying it. If you're using it on clients, however, a different brush is just safe hygienic practice.

mandilovesmakeup

i was really excited for this collection..the swatches i saw here in Specktra were just GORGEOUS!!..however..
i had a MAC makeover today..the ma (which is also a trainer for all the MAC stores here in AZ) used pure ore on my lids, and it ended up creasing..she also said they don't really make good bases because they will crease..so i ended up getting just one cream eyeshadow to be used as highlight..if there would be a good base for them not to crease then maybe i will get more because they really are beautiful colors..

M.I.A.

metal-x e/s crease?

hey loves!
i was wondering if anyone has experienced creased lids from using these new products?

smiles.gif

purrtykitty

Re: metal-x e/s crease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.A.
hey loves!
i was wondering if anyone has experienced creased lids from using these new products?

smiles.gif

yup, i posted earlier that i tried 2 light layers fusion gold with udpp as a base and it creased within 30 minutes. plus, it was a pain in the a** to apply, so i returned them. i was kinda sad because i loved the colors. anyway, that's just my experience...some others have had success with staying power. i also tend to have oilier lids, so that might have been a factor, however, my experience using udpp as a base hasn't produced this much creasing after only 30 minutes - i can usually get a nice long day of wear with very minimal creasing by the time i get home...the same applies for the paintpots and virtually no creasing for the paints. anyway that's my two cents
2cents.gif

lipshock

For our Theme Day on Saturday we were assigned a look using two of the METAL-X cream eyeshadows, Fusion Gold and Goldspice.

I applied Fusion Gold on the inner corner of the eyelid and Goldspice on the outer corner. I used my #242 to messily pack on the cream shadows and then used my fingers to smooth it out (great colour payoff using this method, btw). I then applied ALL THAT GLITTERS e/s over Fusion Gold and AMBER LIGHTS over Golspice with a combination of SADDLE, TEXTURE, and CORK eyeshadow in the crease. As well as HANDWRITTEN in the outer corner to add depth. With TETE-A-TINT and BLANC TYPE as my brow highlight. With PEWTERPINK GLITTERLINER in my tearduct area. Alas, no pictures but the look was supposed to be subtle, shimmery, summery -- that j.lo glow .. We received a lot of compliments that day on this look. I am going to replicate it my next shift because I loved it that much (hopefully I can get pictures of this next time).

All of this was worn over top of a thin layer of UDPP (with FAST RESPONSE EYE CREAM underneath - great primer/prep for eye makeup) and a light dusting of blot powder all over my eye area. And I can attest that I had absolutely no creasing whatsoever (I worked 3-11 & eight hours = no creasing). I have to admit that applying, and wearing, these cream eyeshadows is rather tricky and you have to play around with them but they are all so gorgeous.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
For our Theme Day on Saturday we were assigned a look using two of the METAL-X cream eyeshadows, Fusion Gold and Goldspice.

I applied Fusion Gold on the inner corner of the eyelid and Goldspice on the outer corner. I used my #242 to messily pack on the cream shadows and then used my fingers to smooth it out (great colour payoff using this method, btw). I then applied ALL THAT GLITTERS e/s over Fusion Gold and AMBER LIGHTS over Golspice with a combination of SADDLE, TEXTURE, and CORK eyeshadow in the crease. As well as HANDWRITTEN in the outer corner to add depth. With TETE-A-TINT and BLANC TYPE as my brow highlight. With PEWTERPINK GLITTERLINER in my tearduct area. Alas, no pictures but the look was supposed to be subtle, shimmery, summery -- that j.lo glow .. We received a lot of compliments that day on this look. I am going to replicate it my next shift because I loved it that much (hopefully I can get pictures of this next time).

All of this was worn over top of a thin layer of UDPP (with FAST RESPONSE EYE CREAM underneath - great primer/prep for eye makeup) and a light dusting of blot powder all over my eye area. And I can attest that I had absolutely no creasing whatsoever (I worked 3-11 & eight hours = no creasing). I have to admit that applying, and wearing, these cream eyeshadows is rather tricky and you have to play around with them but they are all so gorgeous.

So in your experience the key is to use a good primer (UDPP), use your 242 and fingers to apply then blend and to use a lot of shadow to set?

BunnyBunnyBunny

Last Saturday (starting with a smooth application of Bare Canvas)I wore Softwash Grey pigment all over the lid, with Naval Blue pigment on the outer corner of the lid, along with Carbon in the crease. My fellow artist added some Metalblu Metal-X crean on the outer corners with her finger and added a thick line of Pewterpink glitter liner. It looked fabulous and didn't crease. Maybe it was from the layers of powder and paint under it? I dunno. It lasted till I took it off.

And I looove the liners. I always love the glitter liners. =)

Seeking Refuge

I bought Pure Ore and it creases like crazy.
ssad.gif
As much as I love the color pay off it's just not worth my time to see if there is a way to fix it. Not to mention that my MA told me not to use a base under it ... o_O

lemurian

I really appreciate all the reviews of these here, since I cannot try them instore for several more weeks! I cannot wear any cream e/s that isn't meant to be crease-resistant, so I'll probably pass on these, save for maybe Virgin Silver to wear on the brow bone... I think the idea that they'll only last if you cover them with lots of eyeshadow is ridiculous -- what is the point of buying them if you're just going to cover them up? I'd really love to see some of these colors marketed in the Paint Pot or even Paint formula..

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
So in your experience the key is to use a good primer (UDPP), use your 242 and fingers to apply then blend and to use a lot of shadow to set?

Definitely. You could also use a sponge-tipped applicator instead of a brush because you get the best colour payoff and a smoother initial application of the METAL-X shadows (which is why MAC is selling the #202 brush with this collection). I didn't have one, surprisingly enough, so I had to make do with what I had. To be honest, if I am just using them on myself I am just going to use my fingers because it made applying and blending so much easier.

Aaaand, I didn't use much of the powder eyeshadow over top -- as I wanted the cream shadows to still be seen. I just used a light dusting with my #224 brush to "set" the cream shadow and to give the colour just a bit more dimension.

I'd say the key in wearing the METAL-X cream shadows is to really prep and prime the eye area to allow for easier application, blending, and of course for no creasies.
smiles.gif

elegant-one

Receive my MetalX shadows today...Pink Ingot & Fusion Gold. They are absolutely gorgeous together! NO creasing for me even after an hour! I use BE mineral multitasking bisque all around my eyes (no it is not drying) and every shadow lasts for ever on me over this.

The Pink ingot is the most gorgeous shade of pink ever. They are extremely soft with beautiful creamy texture to apply...I used my fingers and they went on like a dream! Going back for more colors.

A MAC MUA suggested to be sure to keep the lids closed or they will dry out!

Randy Rose

My initial results with the shadows have been sadly lacking.
ssad.gif

I bought the entire set but am considering returning it. They seem to move around on my eyes like nobody's business. I bought these as a change since I basically do exclusively matte finishes, but thought the colors and metallic effect were too good to pass up. The first time I applied, I did a heavy application of Plum Electric with Pure Ore over it in parts . . . the Pure Ore creased and moved around like CRAZY and the only place where the Plum Electric seemed to hold on was where it was smoked out like woah. I don't use much in the way of Frosts or VPs, so it's not worth keeping the shadows if I have to buy even more stuff just to make them work right. Pity.
ssad.gif

*KT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
I really appreciate all the reviews of these here, since I cannot try them instore for several more weeks! I cannot wear any cream e/s that isn't meant to be crease-resistant, so I'll probably pass on these, save for maybe Virgin Silver to wear on the brow bone... I think the idea that they'll only last if you cover them with lots of eyeshadow is ridiculous -- what is the point of buying them if you're just going to cover them up? I'd really love to see some of these colors marketed in the Paint Pot or even Paint formula..

If you're looking at virgin silver for brow bone, you may want to consider fusion gold also/instead. On my skin virgin silver is a true silver and fusion gold is virgin silver with a pretty soft pink undertone.

I ended up with Fusion Gold, Pink Ingot, Plum Electric and Goldspice. Pink Ingot was an impulse buy when I found out Uppity f/l was sold out. /cry.

Sabrunka

Ugh I'm annoyed, I bought one and it creased SO BADLY, I got to work, looked in the mirror and thought I looked like garbage
ssad.gif