More Fake brush sets ?

dazydoo

Hi guys, i'm new as of today. I purchased a set of brushes on ebay, got them a few hours ago and fear they may be fake. Anyone bought the same ones or agree ? The handles are very thin and the case smells very strong - turpintine is about the best discription i can give. They came in a box, with no mac logo, neither does the case itself. Any thoughts ? Yes, i know the seller has 100% positive feedback, but so did the guy i bought a jar of Goldenaire from that was a fake by a million miles - you'd think i would have learned, huh ?? !

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAC-M-A-C-8-Deluxe-Makeup-Brush-Set-FREE-Brush-case_W0QQitemZ120050698961QQihZ002QQcategoryZ21021 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a better pic of exactly the same set that i have (from china - again) Suspicious ? Or is it just me ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150045456005&ssPageNam e=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=150 045284960&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_it em&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross _promot_widget

caffn8me

Have a look at the thread Brush Sets. The brushes look very real in the pictures but do you have any genuine equivalents you can photographe them alongside for comparison? I have a nasty feeling the brushes are very accurate fakes.

dazydoo

I believe they are too. I have never bought anything from mac stores that had that awful smell. Mind you, i have never bought mac brushes before either, so no way of comparing.

The girl that posted the "mac brushes" thread, seems to have bought the same set and is also suspicious. They say USA, France and Japan on the handles. I didn't know they made brushes in the USA. Agh, this is so irritating !

caffn8me

Genuine brushes are indeed made in France, USA, Japan and some recently in China. Without actually seeing the brushes you have up-close and personal and comparing them to their genuine equivalents it's not easy to determine whether they are genuine or not. Fakers are getting better all the time
ssad.gif

Welcome aboard btw! How did you hear about Specktra?

Cool Kitten

My 2 MAC187s which came from a CCO smelled very musty until i washed them, so yep, they can smell bad.
At this point i wouldn't buy MAC from UK or China, as a matter of fact, i'd probably stay away from e-bay altogether.

dazydoo

Sarah, i'm sorry i didn't get back to you. I just tried a reply but i was logged out for some reason. I tried to message you the other night but my stupid computer crashed.

Well..... two brushes are broken and the seller is offering to replace them if i send them back. The case has no logo or sticker on it, so its not a genuine there. I am confused... she seems really friendly and willing to help. My friend is a make up artist i haven't seen her for a while but she came over the other night screaming at me for being such a donkey
greengrin.gif
yes, she thinks they are dodgy. She was talking font, text placement, handle texture etc.

I heard about Speckra on MUA. I avoided coming on for so long. I have landed back at uni, a mature student, studying graphic design, so i am chained to a computer enough but i couldn't resist any more!

caffn8me

Quote:

Now I've had a bit more experience and looked at a lot more pictures of brushes I can tell you that this set is fake. However the brushes pictured individually are genuine. The ones shown in the case are fake. They are not the same brushes.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofdisaster
i think anytime you see that combo of brushes on ebay they are bound to be fake
ssad.gif

it happened to me too

I totally agree