Need lipgloss help! I've asked this question to many MAs, but never got a good answer

SurrealReality

When I wear most lipglosses (especially MAC) after only 1/2 hour I develop a ring of white gunk where my lips meet and my lipgloss ends. Since I love lipgloss, I really need to find a way to stop this from happening, or at least slow it down a bit. So I'm determined to ask this question until I get an answer! Please!! Any ideas?

Things I've tried so far that didn't work:

*exfoliation of both my lips and the inside of my mouth.
*I was told I could be applying too much, so I tried just a very thin layer, but again, didn't work.
*I tried not applying the lipgloss where the white gunk developes (that is, I only applied the lipgloss up to a certain point, and then I stopped just before where my lips meet, so that a little bit of my lips were uncovered) but incredibly it still managed to form somehow. Although, strangely, it didn't form where my lipgloss ended. Instead, it still formed where my lips met (where lipgloss would end with normal application). It Also slowed it down some, and make the white gunk far less sticky. The problem with doing this (other than the fact that it doesn't help very much) is that the bit of my lips that are uncovered get so dry and chapped. I tried applying chapstick to just that little part, but then the white gunk formed faster.
*I've been told that it could be caused by dry lips, but my lips aren't usually dry (I don't know why that would cause the white gunk anyway).
*I've been told by a few pple that it could be caused by dehydration. I'm not sure about this theory b/c I don't think I'm dehydrated (but I'm not sure), and also, I don't see how that could be causing it.

Things I've noticed:
*The stickier the lipgloss, the worse the gunk.
*Although the gunk often forms when the lipgloss is still wet, it get's a lot worse when the lipgloss dries.
*I get a similar gunk when I'm sick (and not wearing any lipgloss).
the difference is the gunk is clear, not white.

Any ideas, help, advice, from anybody would be greatly appreciated!!!
Or even if you just want to commiserate!

giz2000

The only time I have that happen is when I AM dehydrated...drink more water, girl!!!
rofl.gif

caffn8me

ben

try applying a little bit of Vaseline (the ultimate moisturizer) before the gloss.

SurrealReality

caffn8me said:
Deydration sounds the most likely cause. What fluids do you drink during the day?

I drink a LOTS of water, and not mutch else. I did take a look at the urls you recommended, and from what I can tell, I am not dehydrated (the color is about a 3 I would say)

lara

Sounds like thickened saliva. It could be from an excess of sugar, breathing through your mouth, not taking in enough water, not encouraging enough salival production, etc etc etc.

ebonyannette

Usually what I do is after I apply lip color I take my index finger and put it in my mouth and drag it out pressing my lips around it, this usually removes anything wierd before it gets thick or white looking.

I agree with the above alot of people who talk alot get that white stuff around their mouth especially the corners. Try drinking more water.

user79

Yep, soiunds like dehydration. Also, don't rub your lips together to prevent your saliva from spreading.

Latest posts