Needy customers

glam8babe

omg she sounds weird! maybe there was something wrong with her or something?
but i would be the same
im not a m/a but whenever i go to mac and i want to look for somethng new and ask one of the ma's i help them with what i want like a matte lipstick, a foundation for oily skin, a frost eyeshadow for my eye colour. i wouldnt DARE just stand there and expect them to pick everything for me! lol

gabi1129

oh wow! im not an MA either but i sell shoes and i get ladies like this all the time. its frustrating, you want them to be excited and get involved. it makes the shopping experience more fun. i guess w/ makeup its not to bad. Try selling shoes to women who wants a heel. Doesn't specify a sandal, boot, pump, evening, and casual! Argh I feel your pain!

nunu

there are people like that, especially people who just start to wear make up. I'm sure she asked you for your opinion because she wants something that suits her and thinks of you as a MUA so she looks up to you and values your opinion. I am like that sometimes, i ask for the MA's thoughts because i don't know whether it suits me or not. I feel sorry for her. I know it gets frusterating but she wants to look good and she came to you for help and you have given her the help she needs. She felt comfortable dealing with you and thats why she requested you for the make over.

ms.marymac

It sounds like she might have poor self esteem or she could have just been having a bad day. The only thing you can do is be patient with her. As frustrating as it was, it sounds like you did the right thing. If you have other customers coming in, you have to help them as well so just let her know that while you would love to help her, you have to take care of everybody so you might have to step away...you'll just have to politely take control...kwim?

MACa6325xi

Poor lady, her kids have probably driven her "nuts." I'm not an MA, but I would have just picked everything out for her and I mean "everything." I would have said, "well I recommend the StudioFix Powder and Fluid and you definitely want some concealer because it's a woman's best friend." Then I would have picked out some nice daytime neutral "mommy" color lipsticks, blush, etc. You obviously were very nice to her and it sounds like she spent some money. Overlook her poor self-esteem, neediness and think of helping her feel good about herself with some new makeup. If I were an MA I would be "calling her" to do her makeup. I'm thinking of "Sales Goals." You could pick out any and everything for her that looks good and she may possibly "buy" it. What more can you ask for.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
Poor lady, her kids have probably driven her "nuts." I'm not an MA, but I would have just picked everything out for her and I mean "everything." I would have said, "well I recommend the StudioFix Powder and Fluid and you definitely want some concealer because it's a woman's best friend." Then I would have picked out some nice daytime neutral "mommy" color lipsticks, blush, etc. You obviously were very nice to her and it sounds like she spent some money. Overlook her poor self-esteem, neediness and think of helping her feel good about herself with some new makeup. If I were an MA I would be "calling her" to do her makeup. I'm thinking of "Sales Goals." You could pick out any and everything for her that looks good and she may possibly "buy" it. What more can you ask for.

Yep.
Then she'd get home and have buyer's remorse for spending so much money and return it all within three days. Maybe keeping a lipstick.

Side note:
if an MA suggests 'mommy colors' to me, I will tell her where to stick it. I may be a mommy but I'm not dead, dying, or colorless.
smiles.gif

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Yep.
Then she'd get home and have buyer's remorse for spending so much money and return it all within three days. Maybe keeping a lipstick.

Side note:
if an MA suggests 'mommy colors' to me, I will tell her where to stick it. I may be a mommy but I'm not dead, dying, or colorless.
smiles.gif

Well, I'm a mommy and very proud of it. Obviously, the MA is not going to use the word "mommy." However, the lady is a mom and some "neutral" colors may have been good for her. I'm going to speak for myself. If I'm dropping my kids off at school, etc I will wear "neutral or mommy colors." I also look "damn" good wearing them too. There is no shame in my game of being a "mommy" and calling these colors as I want to. Hell, I'll call them"needy bitch colors," but they will still look good.

Simply Elegant

I think you did the right thing in dealing with her.

For other customers like that or if she comes back, maybe you can just pick out two or three colours of whatever that would look good on her and tell her you'll be back in a bit after helping others out.

Janice

Sounds like she needs a lobotomy more than a facelift.
greengrin.gif
rofl.gif

Please remember this is a forum for MA's, the OP didn't post this thread to receive criticism or suggestions or for us to speculate on why this customer acted the way she did. Sometimes it's just nice to vent with fellow MA's who can identify with the "interesting" and unique customers they run into.

GreekChick

Quote:
Well, I'm a mommy and very proud of it. Obviously, the MA is not going to use the word "mommy." However, the lady is a mom and some "neutral" colors may have been good for her. I'm going to speak for myself. If I'm dropping my kids off at school, etc I will wear "neutral or mommy colors." I also look "damn" good wearing them too. There is no shame in my game of being a "mommy" and calling these colors as I want to. Hell, I'll call them"needy bitch colors," but they will still look good.

Why does being a "mommy" have to mean wearing neutrals? I have plenty of "mommy" customers tha rock Aqualine fluidliner like you wouldn't believe. In my opinion, this is the same thing as recommending Oh Baby and Chestnut and Amber Lights to someone with darker skin: you're immediately placing that person in a box. Recommending neutrals to someone after they've told you they're a mom isn't really breaking the stereotype.
It's also the same as mom jeans and mom hair. Why do women have to stop living when becoming "mommies"?

makeupgal

Nyla2120 - I've had the same type of customer and I feel your pain. LOL to Janice's comment!
th_LMAO.gif
Shimmer-I would freak out too if someone suggested Mommy colors as well. Greekchik, I am one of those Mommy's that rock the Aqualine and anything else you can think of. I think it's terrible how so many women think just cuz they're now married and had a couple of kids they can chop off their hair, wear crappy clothes, gain 100 lbs. and their idea of makeup is just lipstick....nothing else....just lipstick. Oh, you're husband is having an affair???....Helloooooooo!!!!!

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Sounds like she needs a lobotomy more than a facelift.
greengrin.gif
rofl.gif

Please remember this is a forum for MA's, the OP didn't post this thread to receive criticism or suggestions or for us to speculate on why this customer acted the way she did. Sometimes it's just nice to vent with fellow MA's who can identify with the "interesting" and unique customers they run into.

First, I apologize for posting in this thread since I am not a MA. Second, I think that anyone who has worked in retail or with the public at large can identify with this type of customer. Third, we don't know what isssues this customer is dealing with. Overall, she sounded like a decent lady. She wasn't cursing, yelling or having a fit at the counter. She just needed more help than some others might have. She might not have even needed "a labotomy" or a "facelift," just someone to take some time with her and be sensitive thats all I'm trying to say. If we could just have some "empathy" for the customers.

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
Why does being a "mommy" have to mean wearing neutrals? I have plenty of "mommy" customers tha rock Aqualine fluidliner like you wouldn't believe. In my opinion, this is the same thing as recommending Oh Baby and Chestnut and Amber Lights to someone with darker skin: you're immediately placing that person in a box. Recommending neutrals to someone after they've told you they're a mom isn't really breaking the stereotype.
It's also the same as mom jeans and mom hair. Why do women have to stop living when becoming "mommies"?

Who said anything about stopping living when you become a "mommy." Just because I may not rock Aqualine in the morning when I drop off my kids does not mean i may not rock it latter on in the evening. Who in the hell has time to put on a shyt load a makeup, drop off kids at school, and go to work. Depending on where you work, who is going to wear some bright ass colors? You can rock the hell out of a nice "neutral" look. It does not have to be Oh Baby and Amber Lights. I'm proud of the word "mommy." If I want to look like somebody's "mommy" whatever that means. So be it.

calbear

She did everything she could with that customer (while also trying to help the other customers that needed her assistance). She was kind and obviously a fabulous mind reader. She just came here to vent.

AND i really love the line 'we could just have some 'empathy' for the customers' when they have absolutely none for us - even in a forum directed towards MA's.

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
She did everything she could with that customer (while also trying to help the other customers that needed her assistance). She was kind and obviously a fabulous mind reader. She just came here to vent.

AND i really love the line 'we could just have some 'empathy' for the customers' when they have absolutely none for us - even in a forum directed towards MA's.

It's perfectly okay for the MA to vent. I don't believe that the majority of customers have no empathy for MA's. I think for the most part people realize that they are busy and can't give all of their time to one customer. If you are in retail it does not matter if the customer has no empathy for you. Servicing the customer is first and foremost and this MA did just that. Kudos to her and all of the hardworking MA's out there.

Note: As I said before, I have worked in retail and the customers can be horrible, but then there are those customers that are so happy with their purchase, it can make your day and theirs too. Even though customers can be rotten, they are still spending their money. If customers don't shop and spend their money, then someone is out of a job. I guess I'm old school.

calbear

Quote:
If you are in retail it does not matter if the customer has no empathy for you. Servicing the customer is first and foremost.

and i'm done.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear

Chile... LMAO!

*shakeshead*

lara

You did everything by the book. You juggled multiple customers, you did your best to maximise your time with her, you gave her appropriate information and suggested all the right things.

If you picked out everything for her without getting her input, then you would have most likely driven her away. If you'd picked out some more wild or bold colours, chances are good she would have freaked out and cancelled the sale. So yeah, I think you did the right thing in offering her your suggestions even though she didn't mirror them back at you, and if she was really radiating the 'newbie' vibes, you went the right way with displaying more nude and neutral 'building block' make-up items.

Seriously, I don't know what people are ragging on you for. You gave her good service when, to be honest, a few of us might have taken the easy way out and said 'ok, well, have a browse around and I'll check back on you periodically' to save the hassle, and provided that you didn't show your frustration with her (and just bottled it all up for a future rant here!), you handled her blankness and unwillingness to come to your party with good grace.

The customer can be right, yes, but if the customer has absolutely no opinions, ideas or even a willingness to even say yes or no to our suggestions...

lara

Quote:
I'm not an MA, but I would have just picked everything out for her and I mean "everything." I would have said, "well I recommend the StudioFix Powder and Fluid and you definitely want some concealer because it's a woman's best friend." Then I would have picked out some nice daytime neutral "mommy" color lipsticks, blush, etc.

...that sounds suspiciously like borderline bullying the customer into a purchase.

Nyla did the right thing by offering suggestions and testing the product on the customer, it's not something she can help if the customer just flat-out refuses to make a decision or even agree or disagree with the items being suggested.