new collection

yummashie

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I'm brand new here!! I have a question. I'm just starting my MAC collection, and I have no idea where to start! I really love the eyeshadows, but I need to be steered in the right direction...help please!?

Hi there...

You want to purchase a palette for shadows and then another one for blushes. Then you can find some colors you like through a makeover or just playing around at a store or counter. Purchase a few shadow refills for your palette and a couple blushes. You'll save some $$$ in the long run, b/c without the case both the shadows and blushes are less expensive.

Grab a lipglass, a lipstick, and a fluidliner. Good basics to have.

If you'd like a foundation, definately have a MA match one for you.

A few good brushes complete the beginning process.

After that, you'll be on your way.
smiles.gif

Life In Return

Well a palette is not a necessity. I have tons and don't have them in a palette. I don't like them. It is personal preference, Yummashie.

What kind of colors do you like ?

depecher

I would suggest checking out pigments but in sample form. There are lots of lovely colors to check out. I suggest:

Vanilla--the greatest highlighter EVER
Teal
Coco--limited but samples are around
Sunpepper
Violet

I also suggest checking out fluidlines. I would go to the counter or store and have an MA apply one on you. You will find that they have incredible staying power.

Welcome to the world of MAC. It's a great world to be in. =)

BlahWah

I'd suggest to go play around at the counter to see what shadows catch your eye. In case it helps, there's a thread which lists the top 10 neutral and bright shadows here. After checking these out, perhaps you can try for a makeover so you can see what those colours look on you before buying. Makeovers cost $40 at a counter (at least, in Canada), but the money goes towards your purchases (i.e. minimum purchase of $40 with makeover).

Another way you can start experimenting is to buy one of the Patternmaker palettes out right now. The only downside (besides less shadow, but usually a full-size is rarely finished!) is that 2/3 of the shadows included aren't in the regular line, so if you fall in love with one it'd be hard to get more! I find most of them similar to something in the regular line, though, so it's not that bad.

The suggestion above for pigments is a good one, especially if you're tight on cash.

For tools, you can pick up one of the Patternmaker brush sets to get you started.

On a side note, if you can, pick up one or two of the duos and at least one of the mineralized skin finishes (msf) that are available with the latest collection. I wouldn't start with them because the texture's different from the regular shadows, but they're wonderful to have. I doubt you'll regret it!

pugmommy7

my fave blue eyeshadow= aquadesiac(aqua frost with sparkles)
fave black=black tied black with sparkles

both are quite versitile and can be worn well together.

i would pick up "bare canvas" paint as an eyshadow base. it applies easily with the fingertip and helps shadow to stay on and apply more vividly.

as for foundation, i would consult a pro and tell them what type of skin you have an what your skin concerns prob areas are. Or if you will even require concealer.

I love sheer select as a beginning powder. it is lightweight and applies well with a brush or a puff.

when you are ready to venture into brush territory,you may be lucky enough to get a set to start out. right now Nordstroms had a wonderful basic brush set for $37 in thier limited edition patternmaker set.(go to nordstrom.com and enter pattern in the search.)

choose a lipstick that YOU like and think will look good on you .test it on your hand. ask the artist to test it on you,get a liner that will work with it and perhaps some other things you have at home as well.
i would get a clear lipglass to play with if you like a glossy lip. this will give you the most versitility before you venture into glasses/lusters and laquers
winks.gif

blushes willdepend on your personal taste. the cremes are great forumlation and may not even require a brush.(i use my fingers)

and a black eye khol is a great versitile liner.
there are many other formulations for more specific needs(ie waterproof etc) that you can find out about online
smiles.gif

Mascara...well that is a totally indiviual thing. i am MAC obsessed,and us a drugstore mascara that works BEST for ME.
I hope this advice helps.

from there just list your needs/wants in a product and then go from there.
and...welcome to the dark side muwahahahahaha.....
lol.gif

Hawkeye

Blues and blacks? Wow there are so many colors mac has. Fluidliner-black track and the blues wonder eye liners, a list of the blues I love are : Nehru, jewel blue, tilt, blue noir, deep truth, wonderfull, electric eel, plumage, moons reflection and freshwater.

I like pinks those are my colors-maybe Swish, Sushi Flower, Pink Goddess or if you like the more smokey colors..... its up to you.

Latest posts