New to MAC - Color recommendations needed (pics attached)

momof2gr8kids

I'm fairly new to MAC...got my first products about a month ago...started with the SPF foundation, powder, 187 brush and a couple of pro longwear lipcolors. I am thrilled with the results of the 187 brush for applying foundation....I never would have dreamed it would make such a difference! I'm NW20 and have freckles and blue eyes, brown hair with reddish tones. I'll be 40 this year and am just starting to experiment a bit with color and application. I've worn pretty much conservative, neutral color makeup all my life. After seeing some of the FOTD and tutorials on this site, I have to say I am inspired...there are some amazing artists here!

I just had a full makeover yesterday, MA used viva glam V l/s and gloss, which I am now in love with. I have to say I wasn't thrilled with my earlier purchase of the pro longwear....too drying for me and it gets gritty, which I can't stand. The Viva Glam would not have been a color I chose for myself, but I am so happy I found it.

She used sunbasque & honoure on my cheeks/and to highlight. Eyes: brulee for highlighting, antiqued on lids and woodwinked on inside v to open up my eyes. I wish I had taken a pic of the finished product, but I forgot!

I'm looking for suggestions for colors that I should try...eyes, lips and cheeks. I'll probably always go back to the brown/neutrals for my office, but on the weekends and evenings I'd like to be a bit more adventuresome. I have to be careful of lipstick colors that tend to make my teeth look yellower....other than that, I'm open! I'm going to try to post pics here. Last is with minimal makeup for your suggestions. Excuse the face...I took this one in the a.m. before I put l/s on, and I just have lipliner...and forgot about the l/s before taking pics.
The 1st pic is of this morning's attempt to recreate what the MAC makeup artist did...needs work, but it's a start. Any other non-color related suggestions are welcome too. Thanks in advance!

Classic Beauty

You are too cute! I think greens, pinks, and oranges would look good on you.
smiles.gif

Greens-juxt, velvet moss, and sumptuous olive.
pinks-girlie, haux, petalescent, and seedy pearl.
orange tones-amberlights, ricepaper, and motif.
neutrals-cork, mulch, brule, and all that glitters

Wattage

Hello Momof! Welcome to to Specktra! Glad to have you here!

First of all, you are such a natural beauty. You have lovely skin, great hair and blue eyes - all so easy to work with in terms of colour and application.

I agree that for work it is best to stay in the neutral range! A few neutral colours from MAC that I love and think would compliment you nicely are:

Eyes:
Kid e/s
Shroom e/s
Mylar e/s
Grain e/s

I would check out various shades of gold. Gold is amazing with blue eyes and you can find ranges from things you can wear to work to bright and bold weekend colours.

Other eye colours include:

Purples/Mauves/Taupes (Check out Satin Taupe - I think this could be nice on you!)
Tan/Orange range shades (I agree with Classic Beauty on this one!)

As you have such nice skin, I wouldn't recommend much more than Select Tint or Select Moisturecover for spot touch-ups and under the eyes. A sheer and slightly glowing blush would be great on you. I always recommend Peachykeen! Blushcreams are nice too, I myself prefer Blossoming as of late.

As for you lips, I can see why you love VG V - I love it, too! I think the lipglass is great for everyday wear and the l/s for more glam occassions. I recommend a lip liner under a clear gloss - Subculture l/l has a similar tone to VG V and works well under glosses. If you are into the new Sweetie Cake collection, I recommend checking out the lipglass Mouth-watering. It is quite nice and sheer!

Hope this helps a bit! Just keep playing around and see what you like/don't like.

Be sure to post some FOTD's! I can't wait to see
greengrin.gif

karen

My first thought when I looked at the pics were:

Eyeshadow:
-soba
-cork
-soft brown
-amber lights(for a bit more punch)
-browndown
-ricepaper
-satin taupe
-twinks(again, for more punch... also, you have green in your eyes, it looks like. this colour makes the green in my eyes stand out beautifully)
-naked pigment
-the new apricot pink pigment

Eyeliner:
-Teddy eye kohl
-PowerSurge eye kohl

blush:
-Springsheen

lips:
-fine china lipglass
-fleur de light lipglass
-sinnamon lustreglass
-spice lip pencil
-subculture lip pencil
-cosmo l/s ( a very subdued wine-brown on me)
-half'n'half l/s
-hug me l/s
-eden rocks l/s (this is a frost, so better to wear with matte or subdued eyes... GORGEOUS colour, though)
-poppy hop(brightens up your face - not a neutral)

You can tell they were my first thoughts because I'm prone to neutrals and browns too.
winks.gif

I didn't bother adding much more in the way of colour to the list, because I also have a bit of trouble staying away from the neutrals. Greens are about as daring as I go(velvet moss is nice).

hope these help some!

momof2gr8kids

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great recommendations!
I'm going to the gallery now to see if I can see some swatches!

I have a feeling I'll be doing even more shopping.

Latest posts