New to MAC...need suggestions!

Ok so I am new to buying MAC. I have been using my friends MAC eyeshadows for a while and absolutely love them but I need some help with starting my collection. I am hoping to buy maybe 3 or 4 good starting eyeshadows. I have hazel/green eyes, fair complexion, and dark blonde hair. Any specific eye shadows suggestions would be great!

Simply Elegant

I would start with some neutral ones first because they're easier to work with. Shroom, amber lights, tempting and espresso maybe.

Fairybelle

Yes, neutrals are the way to go as your 'starter' set. Once you master the application of those, you can go for more color.

Some recs:
MAC Paints: Bare Canvas (a basic staple, helps your e/s stay on longer, truer to color in pan, and no creasing)
Shroom
Wedge
Mystery (or Espresso)
Mulch (dark brown, with some shimmer)

Lips (to complete your look):
Spice lip pencil
Clear Lipglass

AudreyNicole

I second Bare Canvas Paint!
For neutrals, I like: Ploof!, Nylon, Expensive Pink, Bronze, Retrospeck
For colors, I like: Coppering (looks great with Expensive Pink), Steamy, Sattelite Dreams (looks great with green eyes!), Plumage

If you can get your hands on one of the holiday palettes from this year, you can get 6 colors for $35. It's a great way to start, and you get a mini bursh with it too!
smiles.gif
HTH!

Hawkeye

Gotta agree with Bare Canvas Paint and Shroom e/s Mystery e/s!

But I would also get Kid e/s, Patina e/s

Once you have a neutral canvas for the eye you can start going into colors and with the colors you can mix and match with the neutrals

*Luna*

I started out with a nice set of browns. I bought woodwinked, amber lights and tempting then built my collection from there. Something to think about... when I go to the counter the way I pick my shadows is I will build my eye on my hand. I will take my base/highlight color, chose one for the lid, crease and all that and blend as much as I can so I can see what the colors look like together on my skin. =)

pumpkincat210

I have the same color eyes and I'm a natural dark blonde. Purple eyeshadows really make my eyes pop and look delicious.
Parfait Amour, Nocturnelle, Beautiful Iris and Stars N Rockets come to mind.
Of course you don't have to get all purple, but you could accent neutrals with the one purple and it would be super pretty.
You'll want a neutral base to make the colors last. Beige-ing shadestick or Bare Canvas Paint are musts.
Okay im rambling now.

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeuntchick
Thank you all SO much. I really appreciate the help. Now I'm debating on whether to order online or go to a Mac counter.

Go to a counter. The swatches on line are really different than real life.

Kat

I think neutrals and one bright are a great way to start - i'd say shroom, woodwinked, all that glitters and something like satellite dreams or parfait amour (those last 2 are purples). Or instead of a purple, go for expensive pink.

jenii

Definitely get Bare Canvas, and Shroom. I'd also suggest Woodwinked e/s, which is a nice, easy to blend brown that isn't boring. For a color, I think your eyes would be nice with Beautiful Iris, which is a lavender shade. It's really nice, and it's not crazy or anything. Both Woodwinked and Beautiful Iris are Veluxe Pearls, which are the best texture of e/s I've ever used. They're beautiful, and very easy to blend!

I'd suggest starting with Bare Canvas, Shroom, and then two Veluxe Pearls, because they're so easy to work with.
smiles.gif

Winthrop44

These are all great suggestions, but seeing that it's your first purchase, I would really try to go to a counter or a MAC store if one is within reasonable driving distance. The undertones of your skin (pink or yellow) will also determine which shades you'll like best on yourself, and there are all sorts of different finishes to the shadows. I think you'll probably be alot happier with your purchase if you get to try on a bunch of different things first.

hull_d

If you are going to be buying a few colours then ring a counter/store and book and appointment with an MA - the cost of the maveover is redeemable against whatever you buy and the MA can then make appropriate recommendations for your skin colour. Also, they may use colours/combinations that you would never consider but that look super - that has certainly been my experience in the past - I always end up with colours/looks that I would not have tried myself.