Newbie question

sweetxbutterfly

I know this may be a silly question, but is it a no-no to wear smokey eyes during the daytime or is it better to wear it at night? Also, can anyone give me some hints on everyday daytime makeup? I normally wear blush, liner, gloss, and minimal eyeshadow (only on my creases). I'm filipino (asian) and would like my eyes to "POP" without going overboard on the eyeshadow.

Thank you!!

Beauty Mark

Smokey eyes can often be too intense for the day and seem unprofessional. It depends on how you want to look; it can look cool if you're looking to be dramatic. You get a little leeway if you do it with a lighter color (like a gray), though.

If you want to make your eyes pop (and if they're large), I'd line all the way around with brown liner, so it isn't too dramatic for day. If you want to use shadow, I would use browns to accentuate your eyes and a highlighter on your brow. Curling your eyelashes and wearing mascara also helps.

For daytime makeup, a lot of things can look too much. Red lipstick, dark lipstick, dark shadows, glitter, sparkle. You can honestly get away with all of that, if you want to look trendy. If you want to wear any of those, except the glitter and sparkle, but appear professional, keep the rest of your face very natural and nude looking. I think it's fun to wear red lipstick when hanging out in jeans and a t-shirt, but I also keep my eyes very natural looking.

Daytime makeup, IMO, usually should be natural and not so vivid. Stick to shades that aren't so severe (browns, for instance) and just accentuate what you have.

adorkable

I tend to follow the rules Beauty Mark listed, but dramatic makeup is so much more fun for me, so sometimes I just can't help myself and go crazy with the eyes. I agree, though, that if you're going to do bright/dark lips or vivid eye makeup colors, you should try to keep the other features on your face looking as natural as possible.