Opinion on Benefit's 'They're Real' Mascara?

MarinaMakeup

I had stuck to the same old mascara for a few years now, Rimmel's Sexy Curves, which worked great for me. I decided to venture into a new kind of mascara so did a lot of research on the best one out there. Again and again I came across Benefit's They're Real, it had so many amazing reviews and I thought that for the price, it would be amazing and work wonders on my lashes. I bit the bullet and strayed from my much loved Sexy Curves and bought it. In my honest opinion, I hate it. Never before have I tried such a difficult to work with mascara. I had been so excited to use it but when i too it out of the tube, the wand was thick with product, the spiked ball at the tip of the wand was so glooped up that it was impossible to work with. When I applied it to my lashes, they did not seperate as desired, they clumped together and did not curve at all. The product itself had the consistency and effect of glue, whilst waiting for it to dry, ever time I closed my eyes, it would feel sticky and only served to clump my eyelashes further. The product was extremely difficult to remove even with makeup remover. I could deal with this had it not been the fact that for a high end mascara, it was awful. I do not know if somehow I ended up with a defect product, how could my experience be so different to the others that I had read? All the five star ratings? I am stuck as to whether to return the product or wait for it to dry out a little as I know that some mascaras get better with use. Has anyone else had the same experience? Are there any suggestions on mascaras that can top my current one?

ma146rina

i don't really like this mascara either.it's true that when it'll dry a bit it becomes better,but still not superb in my opinion.my favorites are Haute and Naughty and the false lashes from mac.if you want more definition and REALLY good curl the False lashes one would be better for you.Haute in my opinion gives a more dramatic look(more volume).
smiles.gif

Sylvia60

I fell for the great reviews of They're Real!, too.
Lots of fall-out, lots.
I gave this mascara a week of use to try different techniques, but nothing avoided the panda eye effect.
So out it went.

Dominique33

I love " They're Real " but I prefer " Bad Gal ". They're Real is difficult to remove even with a good waterproof eye makeup remover, Bad Gal is really ok, the texture is very good.
I have Chanel le Volume which makes lashes look thicker and still natural. The texture is good, it's quite long-wearing too.
I also have Kiko ones, available in Europa, the formula is extra light, probably not so long-wearing as the others I mentioned above. But they are soft for the eyes and very easy to take off.

marim525

I read so many good reviews on this mascara and was able to get it through a swap and I hated it. I agree that it was extremely hard to work with. I too am still looking for my holy grail mascara. Looking forward to reading people's suggestion on this thread.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I thought They're Real! was okay but not mind-blowingly good. I prefer Revlon Photoready 3D Volume -- which has a similar brush and a slightly drier formula, not to mention it costs less. ;)