Over 40 MAC Addicts

natalie75

I've just officially started admitting to being a MAC Addict. They over options for all ages! I want to stay "age appropriate", I bought skin mineralizer and my sister asked me if I thought I was 14!!
cry.gif
Any must have recommendations from other over 40 Addicts? Here's what I have so far:
All that Glitters
Aria Satin
Bamboo Matte
Brule Satin
Coppering Veluxe Pearl
Cork Satin
Era Satin
Espresso Matte
Fiction
Folie Satin
Goldmine
Grain Satin
Haux Satin
Honey Lust Lustre
Honesty Lustre
Jest Frost
Kid Veluxe
Malt Matte
Mink Pink Veluxe
Mulch Velvet
Mythology
Naked Lunch Frost
Nylon Frost
Omega Matte
Quarry Matte
Patina* Frost
RetroSpeckLustre
RicepaperFrost
Satin TaupeFrost
Shroom Satin
Slip Pink Velvet
Soft BrownMatte
Soba Satin
Sumptuous Olive
WoodwinkedVeluxe Pearl
BRUSHES
BLUSHBuff
Skin FinishNaked You
Eye PencilsTeddy
Duck
Bordeauxline

LiplinerSpice
Dervish

TRAINCASE

user3

Forever green eyeliner is very nice.
You should totally check out Lustrebloom pro longwear lustre lipcolor.

As for age appropriate I personally feel that is how you wear the makeup and present yourself. Of course some items like shimmer eyeshadows are known to show creases and lines but that doesn't mean you can wear them! It's how you wear them that counts.
smiles.gif

So I say
thmbup.gif
to wearing what you like!

72Cosmo

I wish that petticoat didn't have so much glitter. I'm in the 45+ age range and I thought I would love it but it's not shimmerry it's glittery.

glittergoddess27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Cosmo
I wish that petticoat didn't have so much glitter. I'm in the 45+ age range and I thought I would love it but it's not shimmerry it's glittery.

In Peeticoat it is the gold color that comes out glittery. I know that someone on here recommended for Naked You to dig out the silver veinging which was glittery in order to make it more useable. In Petticoat you could probably elminate some of that gold veining to get rid of some of the glitter-iness that you dont like. I know I have used Petticoat on a friend's Mom (Quite a bit older than 40) and tried this,.. it worked pretty well to tone it down. She isnt a glitter fanatic either.

Isis

'Nessa's got it right
smiles.gif
It's how you wear it that will make the difference.
I'd also suggest these colors:

Shale e.s
Swiss Chocolate e.s
Nocturnelle e.s
Femme Noir e.s

Whirl l.l

Your deeper eyeshadow colors will also double as great liners
smiles.gif

spendtoomuch

If you use powders get the 187 brush. It puts it on nice and fine so it isn't sitting in your wrinkles. I also just started using fix+ and it is great for spraying on after you are finished your makeup. I love Mac. I am younger than you, but not by too much and I won't stop using it just because I am getting older. If you feel like it looks good than wear it. The only thing I don't like on older woman is frosted eye shadow and thats only because it accentuates the wrinkles on the lid. My favourite eye shadows from Mac are Aria and Brule.

user2

My mom just uses one MAC quad including Beauty Marked, Shroom, Sketch and Blackberry!

And I agree on the Whirl l.l!

She also uses the Pinkerpeach/Trust Fund double (haha the first lemming I created at her!
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif
tong.gif
) but she tends to use my Parrot e/s!!!!!!!!!!

depecher

My mom is 61. She uses MAC everyday and gets compliments on it. She has some colors that you didn't mention:

Shale
Omega
Beautiful Iris
Creme de Violet
Parfait Amour
Trax
Freshwater
Tilt
Shimmermoss
Shroom
Seedy Pearl
Retrospeck
Llama
Print
Scene
Pink Venus
Crystal
Zonk Bleu
Moon's Reflection
Shale
Dazzlelight
Twinks
All That Glitters
Falling Star
Satellite Dreams
Boudouir Hues Quad

You can wear ANY color at ANY age in my book.

tiff

I must be so insecure/self conscious. Ive been doubting whether I should buy Mac becuase its aimed at younger girls (I'm 36). After reading the above I dont know what I'm worried about lol, I was the same after buying Stila eyeshadows. I got kitten and golightly and they are so shimmery that I was worried if I should be wearing shimmer at my age but now I've used it nearly every day I'm more confident that I can wear it.

user4

my mom is 52 and her best friend is 50 and they both went in for a makeover yesterday and got an amazing job done. i think it's all in the use of the colors because the guy used aquadesiac and greensmoke on my mom and it came out incredible. and i forgot what he used on her friend but it was a bit more matte and peachy (she doesnt dare with the brights haha)... so i dont think there is anything wrong with using glitter or brights at any age as long as you're not walking around looking like a disco ball (but i dont think that's too nice at any age)...

natalie75

looking at all products not just e/s

looking at all products not just e/s. I just bought Cranberry, two green eye pencils - Tealo and Tarnish and my first Paint Bare Canvas

merleskaya

Ha...I'm a 40s sister...like you, I wear Quarry and Shroom and second the recs for Shale, Seedy Pearl and Greensmoke.

I also like:

Strobe Cream under foundation--not real sparkly, just gives a little glow
Mylar e/s for brow highlight, Concrete as a liner and brow fill-in
Hush--a pretty and subtle peach
Crystal e/s is a pretty highlight with purple-y shadows
Swish--great if you love pinks! More subtle on the eye than it looks in the pan
Inventive Eyes Quad--great neutrals (and you can still get it on the Goodbyes section of the MAC website)
Powerpoints--since I do mostly neutral eyes, I use these for a little pop of color (Prussian, Lilacky, Sagegrass...I also like Gilded White and Buried Treasure)
Paints--Untitled and Chiaroscuro make great bases for me (but another of the neutrals might suit your skin better...whoa, I see you already bought Bare Canvas)
Shell CCB--makes a good base layered w/ paints and e/s or a nice highlight on its own

I have Vex and think it's gorgeous in the pan, but for some reason, it makes my lids look wrinkly unless I blend it thoroughly with something like Quarry. I don't have that prob with any other MAC shadow I own. I'm not a big fan of the fluidlines, but that's just personal preference, not a statement about their quality.

I love the 275 brush for crease definition.

I'm mostly into MAC for the lips--I'm cool-toned and like the med. to bright shades (reds, mauves, berries and yes, fuschia) of lipstick and lipglass. I love Dervish liner, but also the brighter ones like Quartz, Auburn, Vino and Beet. I use these as both liner and fill-in. The only pale lip shade I like and can wear is Nymphette lipglass, which is great over Dervish. I also love two TLCs: Plum Perfect and Fuchsia Fix.

You've already got TONS of great shadows; I've taken note of your list (and of those in some of the replies, too). What's your coloring? Have fun experimenting!

merleskaya
NW20-25/brown/brown

natalie75

Oh my gosh, I just can't stop :)

I'm NW 20, blonde (w/a little help from my hairdresser), and blue eyes. I just returned from MAC, I bough Star Violet e/s and Wishful e/s.
rofl.gif

72Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie75
I'm NW 20, blonde (w/a little help from my hairdresser), and blue eyes. I just returned from MAC, I bough Star Violet e/s and Wishful e/s.
rofl.gif

I'm NW20 also and love Beautiful Iris with Moth Brown in the crease and Star Violet in the corner. I'm older than you and whenever I wear that combo I get compliments on it. I sometimes use nonconformist fluid line with it also. Since Moth Brown was LE I thinks shale would also look good in the crease with that combination.

natalie75

More suggestions for over 40

First, I have to say that I think Star Violet may be my new fav! Today, I bought new l/l Buerre and l/s Eden Rocks. I usually wear Spice l/l but wanted something not too light but not too brown.

natalie75

MU and wrinkles

I do think that anyone can where anything they want. However, I do think that there are some things that as you get older you should do differently. I don't know what those are of course
hmm.gif

Recently, a very nice MAC MUA told me NOT to use liner under my eyes. He suggested using shadow instead. He also told me to use less mascara on my lower lashes.

Has anyone been given other tips? I do find that my eyes look more flattering (younger) when I mix frost/satin/VP with a matte.

Deirdre

I'm 42, and it never occured to me to worry too much about any of this! My favourite shadows are Lustres and Frosts! I'm adoring the new Nocturnelle shadows, and bought them all, and the intense eyes palette, as well.

My feeling is the same as always: it's in the attitude. If you think you can pull it off, go for it! Of course, I don't paint my eyes in a way that looks garish, or amateurish, but I had most of that intense palette on my lid today, and my husband said it was his favourite look. Haha, if I get it together, maybe I'll post my first FOTD - although, I feel intimidated by the skillful application I see in that forum. I just bought my first brush this August - so shows what I know.

Anyway, age should never be a barrier to enjoying makeup. I see some real cuties, with nice vibrant makeup, in their sixties, and seventies. I think a lighter hand sometimes goes a long way, but other than that, the sky's the limit, no?

Latest posts