Perks of working for MAC counters vs. stores vs. pro stores? Rop

narcissa

I work for a counter and am applying for a position at my store. I know working in a department store, I get the store discount but cannot use my pro card. I also know there are different qualifications such as to work in a pro store, there are many different levels of certification that you must achieve. Now, I'm also really curious about perks and pay. Is it much different? I heard that pro artists make 25/hour. I'm not sure how true that is though. I'm not sure if I can post this or not and I also checked to see if it had already been discussed but didn't find anything so I apologize in advance if it's a double post.

Ruby_Woo

Like you mentioned the perk is you get the department store discount, and naturally you can only use your staff card at a free standing store. Now Store vs. Pro store. Since I've worked at both let me tell you the pay rate $25 is innacurate. I cannot post how much I am paid, but it is not that.

Lancome, Dior and other brands pay their freelancers that much, BUT they don't have nearly as many hours as MAC gives its freelancers.

Working at Pro, I absolutly loved the products. You get to experience 100% of the MAC cosmetics line. There is definetly higher skill expectation, and you learn so much from being around seasoned artist. The norm is working counter, store than Pro. You should be certified in most if not all areas. And I say the "norm" because I was hired straight from the freelance team on to Pro.

I currently work at a freestanding store because to meet the needs of the business Pro and other locations had layoffs, my job was one of those they cut. One became available at my current location and I jumped at the chance. I love it! I miss pro product, but other than that there is no difference.

I get my same pay rate as when I left pro. here we have about 90% of th entire line. Other than that honestly there is no diffence. The discount is the same no matter where you work, same benefits and such.

Good luck!

allthatgl1tt3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Woo
Working at Pro, I absolutly loved the products. You get to experience 100% of the MAC cosmetics line. There is definetly higher skill expectation, and you learn so much from being around seasoned artist. The norm is working counter, store than Pro. You should be certified in most if not all areas. And I say the "norm" because I was hired straight from the freelance team on to Pro.

Ruby Woo - when you say certified in "most, if not all areas" what do you mean by areas? I.e. fashion makeup, natural, bridal, media, TV etc? Or something else?

TIA x
winks.gif

Ruby_Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatgl1tt3rs
Ruby Woo - when you say certified in "most, if not all areas" what do you mean by areas? I.e. fashion makeup, natural, bridal, media, TV etc? Or something else?

TIA x
winks.gif

Fashion show, Advanced, Lesson , Transformation most like they want you to have almost all levels of certification because of the skill expectation. And because if they need an artist for an event or something they usually pick someone from Pro first.

HTH

Ruby_Woo

You're welcome gals!

The other perk of being at Pro, if you are a seasoned artist is that they will pull you out to do VMA's, Splash, and stuff outside of work.

Usually though, like I said its if you have your certifications and depending on how well you do, the Senior artist picks the team.

narcissa

Thank you! I'm hoping to get into the store I applied to because my counter is sooo disorganized and I feel as if I am missing out on the MAC experience. We'll see what happens!

Ruby_Woo

How have your numbers been for the last 6 months? If you have been meeting goal or even going above, it gives you a good chance. And where are you on certifications?

Good luck! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

smiles.gif

Ruby_Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamonster
im confused...how do you get these certs?

Once you are permanent with MAC you start getting certified. It goes by levels. But it starts only once you are permanent w/ the company.