Pigments: How to apply them evenly? technique?

leana01

Hi everyone,

I just purchased both of the Holiday Pigment Dress sets but I am having trouble applying the pigment. I tried the pink bronze and i am having trouble getting an even application. When I apply it, it seems as if it sticks to some parts of my eye lid and refuses to stick to other parts. I tried to apply it using both my 239 and 252 brushes and neither one helped. Is there a brush recommended for applying pigments? technique? :confused:

Thanks

MiCHiE

A few people have talked about using the 242 with pigments. I've used a variety of brushes with them but, honestly, I didn't get full "oomph" from my pigments until I used the WB Mixing Medium. Then, they stayed on all day, blended well, and I was able to use more brushes for the application I wanted.

What's really funny is neither of the MAC MUAs at the Pro Store had ever heard of using WB with pigments.

maxcat

I like wb mixing medium, paints... even concealer will work. Pigments need something to cling to.

leana01

Udpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella_
what base are you using?

I have the UDPP but I didn't use it because I was just "testing" the pigment because I have never owned one before. Do you think the UDPP would help with this problem though?

leana01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Select Cover-Up concealer = best pigment base ever. EVAR, even.

What is that? Is it sold in the U.S.?

leana01

WB Mixing Medium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
A few people have talked about using the 242 with pigments. I've used a variety of brushes with them but, honestly, I didn't get full "oomph" from my pigments until I used the WB Mixing Medium. Then, they stayed on all day, blended well, and I was able to use more brushes for the application I wanted.

What's really funny is neither of the MAC MUAs at the Pro Store had ever heard of using WB with pigments.

How do you use the WB mixing medium with your pigment? Do you dip your brush in it then lightly dip your brush in the pigment? I am still trying to figure out how to apply the pigment to my brush without wasting it. Since I have the Holiday set, the opening on the bottle is really small and I cant really get the brush into it.

MiCHiE

I apply a drop of MM to the back of my hand, swipe my (dry) brush onto the side of my pigment jar, rub it (or dab, your preference) into the MM and paint the mixture onto my lid. Wait a minute for it to dry. In the meantime, I put my other eyeshadows on. Blend them in and you're done.

~LadyLocks~

When I apply pigments I use CCB as a base (works great with shadows as well) and brush 242. It helps grab onto the pigment and keeps it in place. Pat the pigment on your lid (don't drag it) and it gives an even application. This technique works wonders for me!

Oh yeah...I just recently seen in the tutorial section a thread about using ccb with pigments, check it out!

HTH...good luck!

leana01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LadyLocks~
When I apply pigments I use CCB as a base (works great with shadows as well) and brush 242. It helps grab onto the pigment and keeps it in place. Pat the pigment on your lid (don't drag it) and it gives an even application. This technique works wonders for me!

Oh yeah...I just recently seen in the tutorial section a thread about using ccb with pigments, check it out!

HTH...good luck!

So I've spent a little more time with my pigments and I figured out that it is something about the consistency of that pink bronze that makes it hard for me to get a good even application. I messed with some of the other colors and they went on beautifully. And the patting technique is great!

Thanks everyone for the help!

xsparkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥

haha, really? thats the only thing i use it for. i dont know what else to use it for!

what i do when i apply pigments is firstly if pigment isnt sticking to the lid of the pigment jar, i spray a little spritz of fix+ on there and close and shake the jar, then open it and just use the lid for the pigment.. i put a drop or two of the wb mixing medium on the lid and then put my brush in and mix it around so the pigment on my brush isnt too liquidy or too chunky dry.. then i go from there! :]

gravity

I use UDPP as a base and then use my (clean) fingertips to put the pigments on. I find that brushes tend to spread the pigment around too much; if I use my fingertips I can press the pigment into the skin and I find it sticks brilliantly
smiles.gif
If you're careful and only get a thin layer of pigment onto your fingertip you can layer the pigments until they get to the required intensity.

With this method I rarely end up with loads of pigment all over my cheekbones unless I'm using one of the really roughly textured ones.

Only trouble is multi-coloured fingertips
winks.gif

Latest posts