Prom Make-Up?

Dark_Phoenix

I really want to have my make up done for prom. The cosmetics counters at the mall near me are: Elizabeth Arden, MAC, Lancome, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Prescriptives, and Origins.

Most of my products come from Clinique and I was thinking it might be best b/c I'm most familiar with the brand...
How do you ask an artist you like to do your make up for prom?
What are the buying policies usually? And how much do you pay and/or tip the artist?
-----*warning* something resembling a rant-----

I don't want the eyes too look too wild, which is why I'm REALLY scared of going to MAC. Last year I had make-up done at MAC to go my cousin's wedding (at a friend's reccomendation of the girl doing my make-up), I asked for neutral eyes that are lightly lined with black, light blush, and bubblegum pink lips... it was a disaster.

I had dark brown shadow from lash line to brows, mauve blush (my face looked grimy), and seashell (like purple/pink) lips. I all but cried when I saw my face it was that bad... she offered to have someone else re-do it which then turned out well... but it was a *teensy* bit traumatic.

Hawkeye

The thing is- if you already have a look in mind - my feeling is that you shouldn't ask for a makeover. That's my feeling. I mean if you wanted a natural eye and bubblegum pink lips and light blush-I think it was one of those things where you should've asked the MA color recs. Not an actual makeover-especially since you knew what you already wanted-unless you wanted to learn how to apply the makeup.

Now when you call any counter just call them up and tell them you are getting your makeup done for prom. Certain counters have different rules. Like I know for MAC they have a $34-$45 down payment but it's fully refundable through products etc.

I'm not familiar with how the other lines do it but they probably do something very similar.

So basically thats all you really have to do is call them up and tell them you want your makeup done for prom and how much is it etc.
smiles.gif

Another tip because what happened to you can happen in any line is to scout out the makeup artist that has the makeup look that is very similar in your taste in makeup.

All the brands you have around you are great (with the exception of EA-I'm not familiar with Arden's brand but the items I have tried I have NOT been impressed with.)

I would sincerely recommend you call MAC up and I am suggesting this only because MAC really is a good brand and you may have just got a fluke artist. AND the money you put down you know you can get back in product- and when making an appointment with them tell them you want an artist that will listen to your needs because the last time they did not listen and you had a very bad experience. Chances are they will do so.

But definately call around the other counters and see how they do it-it's not bad they just will quote you a price-I think Clinique does do it for free but I'm not sure. Lancome is a good line as well.

Shimmer

I'd totally recommend that you find a "look" you want, and ask them to recreate it as closely as possible.
That's just my non makeupartisttype of s uggestion though.

Hawkeye

Quote:
I'd totally recommend that you find a "look" you want, and ask them to recreate it as closely as possible.

and make sure to bring in a picture as well.

also - remember that the Makeup artist may have to change it a bit to fit your coloring etc.

Hawkeye

Depending if you want your makeup done for the actual prom- I'd say start booking now for the prom date. Or if you want a good look but one you can duplicate the night before- I would say maybe a week or so ahead of time.

Beauty Mark

Most hair salons or spas offer makeup services. I don't know how much they'd charge in your area or what they'd use, but it's worth a shot.

I would personally try to book it now.

Dark_Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Most hair salons or spas offer makeup services. I don't know how much they'd charge in your area or what they'd use, but it's worth a shot.

I would personally try to book it now.

I'm going to Aveda to have my hair done and I'm not a huge fan of the make-up they do professionally. Too drab, IMO.

I'm going to the mall tommorow to buy moisturizer and I'll start looking then. I'm really leaning towards Clinique or Lancome right now since I've had the best experiences there.

ms.marymac

Yes, yes...Start booking ASAP. Appointments will start filling up fast. Bringing in a picture is an excellent idea, but as Hawkeye said the MA may have to alter a bit it to suit your coloring/features. I think visuals are better than descriptions, only b/c people have different ideas of "natural" and "dramatic", etc. Same as getting a haircut, IMO.

As far as prices go, even if they say it's free, it's nice to pick up something, even if it's lipgloss...but I am sure you knew that. Have fun!