question for bakers only

noahlowryfan

I have a box of open baking soda for a few months and it is use for baking only. can i still use it or do i need to purchase a new box?

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
Sprinkle some in vinegar or lemon juice, if it fizzes, it is still OK to use.

Yup - I find baking soda is usually good for darn near forever. If you still feel uncomfortable using it, you can put it in the fridge to absorb odor, and pick up a new one. That way, whenever you replace your baking soda, you can replace the one in the fridge with the old box.

Willa

You can keep it for months!

Mine is opened and still it works
Last week I used it to remove odors (old hairs in the bottom ieww....) from the bath's drain
And when I put vinegar it was fizzing a lot

Don't worry
choochoo.gif

noahlowryfan

thanks all. i will try that when i get home. since my mom gave me money to buy ingredients to bake some cookies and since i still have baking soda, i don't want to waste money on a new box.

newagetomatoz

I think in our house, we've had the same open box for at least a year, and we haven't died yet!
smiles.gif
I think it has to be a rrreeeaaalll long time, or certain weather conditions (really high humidity) for it to go bad, but don't quote me on that.

noahlowryfan

well, just to let you all know, i put the open box of baking soda in the cabinet.

to get butter in room temperature, how long do i keep it on the counter for?