retail experience?

CARiiSSA

so, i am looking forward to applying at MAC soon after i turn 18.. i've done some stuff for my friends and i'm sure i have enough material to make a portfolio.. but i was wondering how important it is to have retail experience? i worked at a movie theatre for a little over 6 months, and i'm pretty sure i can get a hostess job, because i've been looking for a retail job but NO ONE is hiring after christmas! so my question is, is it more important to have job experience or RETAIL experience? thanks!

Shimmer

above and beyond it's a retail job, with what seems to be a lot of upselling. If you're not comfortable and experienced in that environment, you might want to start getting experience doing that before applying.
smiles.gif

MellissaG

My suggestion would be to apply for a body&health image store like Aveda, sephora, or something similar. They are easy to get in to if you know how to kick butt in the interviews, and have a nice resume written up.

If even those fail, try something else like a clothing store. In fact, I know that PLENTY are hiring right now.. at the mall I work at , anyway. Everyone is trying to recruit people and find people. Everyone is going back to school after christmas, so a lot of stores are caught understaffed. Just make sure youre applying to the right stores/places that reflect the image YOU give. (Dont bend for THEM)

THEN, after a while in that experience..apply to a cosmetics counter in a dep store.

I wouldnt recommend going to mac right away, I dont know about other locations but in toronto the mac stores are EXTREMELY picky, and it takes 6-12 months for your applicated to be processed. You need at least a year of retail experience, and 2 years of cosmetic experience..or something of the such. I dont know how hard it is to get in at other locations though? Might be a good idea for a thread..hmm..