Right career choice?

honeyd

So I took a year off after highschool and then started college. I'm currently taking classes to being a fashion buyer, which I'm very interested in. I've always been a big fashion person. But I remember ever since kingergarten Ive wanted to be a vet. Well my bf's dad is a vet and has told me horror stories, such as having to put them asleep,etc. It makes me cry. But ever since Ive started college thoughts keep creeping in the back of my head wondering if Im doing the right thing, and I still want to be a vet. I moved after 8th grade to a different country and finished high school (except moved back to the USA for senior year) there but I didnt get a very good education...at all. I feel like Ive miss out in a LOT bc of it actually. In fact the college im going to didnt even ask for SAT scores...which I also didnt have to take while in highschool since its more of an art school. I feel I wouldnt be smart enough (always had such a hard time with school and grades)to be vet or too emotional for it, but still feel like Im making a mistake sometimes. Im afraid to tell my parents bc Im worried they might be upset...they are paying for my college after all I dont want them to think they wasted their money. I dunno I guess I just needed to get this off my chest.

joytheobscure

OK, well let me tell you what I know.... My Older sister is a veterinarian- *she has her own clinic so I have a fair amount of assisting (vet tech) experience. Getting into vet school is harder than getting into medical school... you not only have to know one species you need to know a whole lot, you can diversify and do small animal, large animal, exotic...etc. My sister has a mixed practice.

Your strengths definately need to be science, most vets do their own pharmacies basically - you will need pharmacology (chemistry) - most vets do their own surgeries (small town vets here is what I'm talking about unless you are in a big city...

You could find out about it by going to work in a clinic or even seeing if you can do observations. As far as schooling you can redeem your grades (if you are worried) by getting into an undergraduate college and working on Biology or Zooology. Most Vet programs are four years and the schedule is stressful.

OK me being prissy think it sounds more fun to be a fashion buyer (I know too much about vet. work). If you can handle blood and poop and sewing on animals you can do it :) Oh and , cat scratches, bites, growling dogs, neurotic owners, anal glands, cutting off heads for rabies tests, csections at 3am or Saturday before going shopping..

She is a graduate of Kansas State University you could google their veterinary medicine program and look at prerequisites.