Social Phobia

dust_bunny

Does anyone else suffer from chronic anxiety or social phobia? If so how do you deal with it on a daily basis besides medicine? I have had these issues my whole life and it took a really long time for me to even post this thread lol but I am coming to a point where I need to be a bit more social or my needs will never be met. I want to foster animals or even take some classes that aren't online but I am so afraid/overwhelmed by people that its driving me nuts lol I have no friends and I have never had a problem with that (I still dont) I just feel so BLAH....
I am just starting on a different medicine only because Paxil made me gain 4lbs a week. Anyone else have these issues??

*Sorry for my crappy grammar and punctuation*

xsnowwhite

I have a social phobia but I do not take medicine for it. I can totally relate with you though, I want to do more things but I alawys feel like I can't. The thing that helps me the most is doing something with a friend. I feel a little better if I know at least one other person doing whatever it is. I also try to force myself to do things which can be hard but in the end it's worth it!
You should try the classes/fostering animals! I bet you would end up loving it
smiles.gif
sorry that is probably not that much of help but hopefully it does a little bit.

Vlada

I also have a lot of trouble being in a public place, with people around me - it makes me feel overwhelmed and uncomfortable to the point of complete panic. If I have to walk out in the street, I take my iPod with me and focus on the beat, music and lyrics, or if I have to be in class, I distract myself with something to read - to divert my focus.

xsnowwhite's suggestions are very good - particularly the second one. Medicine should be your last resort. Try to challenge your comfort zone and expand your boundaries. It may be difficult, but the hardest part may prove to be simply deciding to do so! Everything begins from the mind.

I wish you lots of luck. Take your time, step by step, to overcome your anxieties - there is no hurry for anyone but yourself. You can do it, I am sure.

talste

Me to, I usually go under protest to social functions. I find for me it's the anticipation of going out that stresses me out as I usually end up enjoying myself in the end. I can't offer much advice on what to do but I agree whole heartedly with the above posters.

TISH1124

I was diagnosed with Agoraphobia about 20 years ago...I thought I had outgrown it so when I moved to Texas I decided I would go to the mall to get my husband a Christmas gift! Wrong timing to try this test !!
I had an anxiety attack in the middle of the mall ....I started sweating...I was in a state of confusion...I had left my cell phone so I couldn't call my husband. I was lost didn't know what end of the mall I was parked on, I was totally standing in one spot freaking out... it was a nightmare. I finally was approached by a police officer and he helped calm me down, got me a bottle of water and called my husband to come and help me. He was just a dream. I normally never go to the mall..I stick to strip malls or independent stores where I can enter the stores seperately without going inside the actual mall itself..
I am getting better however...My husband and I go places a lot to help me get acclumated to different environments. I meet friends places. But I must admit I will never go into a crowded place like a mall or nightclub alone. If I go to the mall alone the store has to be one that I can access from the parking lot. I don't take medication for this..I just have adapted my way of living to accommodate my illness. If my husband or friends and I go to the mall or out to a crowded place they know never to leave me alone or get too far out of my eyesight. I have just adapted...and built my life around my illness as to not look like a freak in the eyes of others.
I originally was on meds but they had so many other bad side effects that I figured it was easier to deal with one problem on my own than several others that the meds seemed to add.

I think you just need to find things you enjoy and find people who will embrace and help you. Don't be ashamed of your illness...It's not something you planned on having..It just is what it is, and the hand you have been dealt. Be honest with people and you will be surprised how they accommodate your special needs and want to help you acheive your dreams.

HTH ...

ginger9

I don't know if I have social phobia (or at least clincially diagnosed) but I have some anti-social tendencies. Often times I like to be alone than with people or even friends. I don't like big crowds. I can be self-conscious with strangers but I don't have a problem with doing things alone, classes, movies etc. Also after a big party or social function I feel like I need to get away or hole up for a while LOL

I'm really glad you decided to post this thread. It's a sign you are reaching out. Agree with everyone else, taking classes is a good way to start. If you have a phobia take a class that doesn't involve too much social/group interaction to start with, this way you won't feel too overwhelmed. Also, do you frequent malls? Or bookstores? They are good place to go to be around people but not necessarily be over-whelmed with interaction (bring your ipod or something calming and soothing to you) and just browse and look at stuff. If you find it starting to get cramped just leave or walk out of the store.

Take baby step. You can do it, we're behind you all the way!

xxManBeaterxx

Hey girl, im sorry i cant really relate
ssad.gif
. I think you should find an online support group or forum by searching on google. There are a lot of people who are probably dealing with the same things as you are and its nice when people can relate to you ^_^

chocolategoddes

Well, the way I see it is a phobia is a phobia. It doesn't matter if it's social phobia or clausterphobia.

Once you realize the fear is all in your mind and that you CAN conquer it through mental exercises and taking risks, you should be able to have an easier time dealing with it.

I don't have social phobia (in fact, I love large crowds and busy places...) but I did have a mild case of clausterphobia after I was trapped in a bathroom as a child. I would have panic attacks and start crying when I went in elevtors. I refused to go into those tube-slides. I wouldn't even go into bathroom stalls with the doors closed, or small rooms without windows.

Sometimes you just grow out of these things, but sometimes they take more work.
Breathing exercises help with anxiety and decreasing stress. Just staying calm in general helps. Try pushing yourself little by little.

If you have trouble approaching people, try walking up to a sales person and asking what time the store closes or something. They won't reject you and most of the time, they'll be kind to you.

If you can't go to a mall by yourself, try walking through one, slowly, breathing deeply, clearing your mind of any thoughts, and see how easy it is.

I don't know your situation exactly, but I hope my examples helpeed and good luck!
greengrin.gif

enjoybeingagirl

I definitely know how you feel. I take medicine now for generalized and social anxiety. I feel so much better. It has helped me so you might want to look into it
smiles.gif

ashleyisawesome

I'm currently taking Buspar, in which I have had noticed no side effects. It's not a sedative type of drug, doesn't cause dependency, and it is preventative. It's helped me a lot with my anxiety.

I was on Effexor to begin with, and it was wonderful, but if I didn't take it for one day I'd get withdrawal headaches and feel like complete shit.

Before being medicated, I couldn't even call people on the phone, go up to someone to ask a question, answer questions in class, etc. I still have some anxiety in talking to people, making new friends, but I don't have full-blown panic attacks as much anymore.

To answer your question, I'm not sure what you can do other than cognitive/behavioral therapy to help without medicine. I was in therapy for a while. It can't control your thoughts from racing, physical symptoms, but it can help you train your brain to realize when you're being irrational.