The 187 or the 180?

mel0622

which one is better? the 180 looks like it has better control. they basically do the same thing right?

Christina Victoria

187 is my favorite. 180 is used for buffing after applying makeup to remove excess or cake-ey powder. 187 is very versatile, and can be used for MSFs, CCBs, Bronzers, Blushes, and most powders. It applies a flawless application for any powder-based product.

user2

I use my 187 for everything! I powder my face, then put on my MSF and then my Pearlizer!! All with one brush and it's always the best result!
It's worth every cent!!!

Sushi_Flower

I've always wondered if its ok to use the same one 187 brush to apply powder, then blusher, MSF etc one after the other, thoguht it mgiht be a no-no as product gets on eveyrhting but then again not many people can own multiple 187 and when mine arrives (courtesy of MAC!) i'll be doing the same!

user79

Which brush should I buy? 187 or 180?

I want to buy my first MAC brush and have heard good things about both these brushes. I use a mineral foundation so I'd want one that can buff, but I also would like to be able to apply blushes with it. I know the 187 skunk brush is more designed for blush, but I've heard people also use it for buffing? I just want to get that flawless finish look on my face and I don't think I can afford both brushes. Which one would you rather recommend? Which one will I get more use out of?

Please state your choice and explain why you recommend this brush over the other.

arbonnechick

I've never used the 180, but I seriously use my 187 for EVERYTHING!!!
Liquids, creams, powders.....it gives everything a perfectly airbrushed finish, and is the real workhorse of all the MAC brushes.

tarteheart

Get the 187. You will be able to use it for liquids, powders, creams; foundations, blushes, bronzers, MSF. In addition to applying the product, you can also buff and blend easily with it. I don't use mineral foundation, but I don't like the 180 for applying product because it's so flat. I think of it more as a "finishing" brush for buffing foundation and making sure you don't have too much on.

Wait, did you ask this question on LJ too, and I wrote a response about 182 vs. 180?
smiles.gif
Anyway, 187 all the way!

user79

No, it wasn't me on LJ as I don't post there.

The thing is, I'm looking for something to replace by powder brush because the one I have, I am very unhappy with. But I'm not sure if I will be able to buff my Bare Escentuals mineral foundation with the #187 because it is very soft. That's why I liked the #180 with the flat head.

Does anyone use the #187 for buffing mineral foundation as well? I sort of think it would ruin the brush because buffing is done with a heavier hand...

karen

187, silly.
tong.gif

as for WHY.... um, 187 is super-useful, super-versatile, and super-cute. I've never found but so many uses for a kabuki brush.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipityii
I'm all over the 182 for mineral foundations, actually. The CD Kabuki is great for buffing.

I just ordered a transfer of the 182 brush from a location that still had it. I'm going to take a look at that one and the 187.

user3

hmm...see this is tough for me because I love both. Also you are talking about 2 totally different brushes.

The 187 is made to pick up high pigment color and apply it lightly, the 180 is made to buff. While the 187 can buff it does not have the stronge buffing powers of the 180 and the 180 can not pick up color and lay it down the way the 187 does.

So really the question would be do you want a buffer brush or soft layering brush?

sorry not trying to be difficult.

Latest posts