The difference between: Primers?

Ambular30

What should I use as a primer/base? Actually, what's the difference between them?

I am interested in knowing about:

MAC Bare Canvas Paint
Urban Decay Primer Potion
and Smashbox photofinish primer

?

user3

A primer helps make the colors stick and creates a smooth finish. It's like preping the skin for products.

A base will provide a smooth surface but often may not help with the wear time.

For example: I've used an eyeshadow wet as a base to build off from so I could change the color of the eyeshadow I am laying on top of it.

You can check out this thread in General for what everyone likes some people included their fave base too.
http://www.specktra.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42838

Bare Canvas is very nice. MAC Paints are my #1 fave to use.
UD PP is a very nice primer but I do not use it with pigments. I tend to get creasing when used with MAC pigments.

The difference is not much.

As for face primers they help create a smooth surface for your foundation. Some even out skintone.

I hated Smashbox photofinish! Way too greasy for my oily skin.

bellaetoile

a primer generally enhances and prolongs the time makeup stays, makes application smoother and easier, and fills in slight dips or wrinkles in the skin. a base is generally the same thing, although, as mentioned above, sometimes bases work mostly towards color enhancement or to change the color slightly, rather than prolonging the wear time, if that makes sense.

eyes: urban decay primer potion is by far the best eye base i've tried, and i've used several. apply a thin film to the lid, blend with finger til invisible, wait about a minute to dry, then either apply a color base (shadestick, paint) or just apply your eyeshadow/pigment as normal. i have never had a problem with ANYTHING creasing with UDPP, even pigments. i usually use shadesticks on top of the UDPP, just to make color a little brighter, then apply the eyeshadow or pigment. paints work too, i guess, i just have never had as much luck with them. mac prep and prime eye is nowhere near as good as urban decay primer potion (UDPP), nor is l'oreal de-crease, or the too faced primer (first and second base, i think).

face: i personally like smashbox photo finish primer better than mac prep and prime skin, but make sure you use it sparingly because a little goes a LONG way. also, it works so much better if applied with fingers, versus a brush, i've found. primers really do help foundation look better and stay longer, with the one exception of studio fix fluid. i can't get it to work with a primer, and i don't know wjy. so far, i just use it with moisturizer underneath.

KJam

I love my Urban Decay primer so much that I've never tried anything else - it's perfection

koolmnbv

I personally did not care for udpp I much prefer paints over them. I usually use a shadestick then a paint then my normal eye routine e/s e/l etc. I just found the udpp to be very thin and sticky like, kind of hard to explain and I tried it a million ways I was determined to make it work but I just never liked it, but I am the minority because it always gets rave reviews.

canadiangirl_1117

I prefer UDPP over Paints, Paints crease on me after a few hours, UDPP I've been able to wear for 16+ hours, no creasing.

Smashbox Photofinish is my HG primer. I notice a HUGE difference when I don't use it, my foundation doesn't stay nice for nearly as long without it.

Latest posts