Thrift Shops!

red

OMG
yahoo.gif
I love them. In my neighborhood we have the best ones
yahoo.gif

I got this sweet pillow yesterday, it's raw silk with a funky leopardish border for a shabby chic look for just $1
winks.gif

and these goblets, just in time for Gobble Gobble day were 25 cents each - got the whole lot of 15 for $3.75
th_DANCE.gif

j_absinthe

I love going to thrift stores. You can find some really spectacular gems there. I usually just go for the clothing though.

NutMeg

Thrift stores are amazing, nothing quite beats that incredible find for a cheap price. It's so much fun to sort through looking for the good stuff.
greengrin.gif

Hilly

Chicago has the BEST thrift shops. I feel so deprived in Texas because they have a few shit box ones. When I go home to Chicago, I make sure to bring an extra suitcase so I can stock up on goodies!!! Only 30 more days til I go home!!

SparklingWaves

When I first started working as a teen, I couldn't afford all the business wear. So, I got all my suits from them. They are wonderful.

Briar

Being a punkish kid in high school I got most of my favorite clothes from thrift shops, and still do 20 years later. I've learned to be very discriminating and have found some incredible buys like a pair of hot-pink patent leather Dansko maryjanes for a co-worker's daughter for $4, brand new! I also love the housewares, I love digging for unusual pieces of milkglass and teapots.

Thrift shopping is my favorite "me time" activity!

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
Chicago has the BEST thrift shops. I feel so deprived in Texas because they have a few shit box ones. When I go home to Chicago, I make sure to bring an extra suitcase so I can stock up on goodies!!! Only 30 more days til I go home!!

Which ones do u go to? I plan on visiting Chicago in the near future!!

VeXedPiNk

I LOVELOVELOVE thrift stores! You never know what kind of awesome things you will find and you just can't beat the prices. Mostly I get clothes (and I love the fact that you find really one of a kind pieces) and books, but always check housewares out too.

Of course, when I clean out my closet, I return the favour and donate any pieces that I think someone may want.

Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
Which ones do u go to? I plan on visiting Chicago in the near future!!

Village Discount Outlets! They are like grocery store sized!! And pretty cheap!

ms.marymac

I used to love going to thrift stores, but lately the ones near my house are so picked over. I love buying books there though-I have found titles for a fraction of the original price. I guess not too many people have the patience to dig through the book shelves.

There was one near my mom's house that would always have amazing dishes! The clothes were in bad shape though. It made me wonder what was the original owner (and the thrift store itself) thinking? Why would someone donate something that is ripped to shreds or that looks like someone used it as toilet paper? Throw that crap away! Do they think that people who shop in thrift stores don't deserve decent clothes? *steps off soapbox*

I do miss finding one of a kind pieces though...it was so much fun coming up with outfits.

j_absinthe

Living near Wicker Park, there are a ton of hot thrift stores to hit up. I also really dig going to Unique, as I've found alot of cool stuff there.

Make sure that if you go on a Monday, though, that you go EARLY. It's like Black Friday at thrift stores every monday...