To palette or not...that's my question

Laurahead108

Hi,

I'm in the very early stages of aquiring Mac e/shadows, and am wondering if I should buy those empty palettes and fill them with pro pans, or buy them individually? If I do the palettes, which one, i.e. the four, the 15 etc.? FYI: I'm afraid to de-pot.

Thanks

lara

If you have more than a couple of quads, they can be a pain to store. Get yourself a 15 pan and fill that sucker up.
smiles.gif

Depotting is easy if you have an easy method. I don't hold with the candle depotting method; too much carcinogenic funk and fumes. There's a link in my signature to a tutorial page that has a completely idiot-proof way of depotting eyeshadows with a basic clothes iron.
smiles.gif

KaylaGrace

I just recently bought a Pro 15. I had 4 quads and they were so hard to store and they were smashing and clanging around. I put them in the 15 and I wouldn't have it any other way. I depotted 3 shadows with a flat iron and it was very easy.

Makeuplovingal

I just recently bought 2, 15 pan pro palettes and depotted them using the straight iron method (found on this site). I depotted 12 e/s in a half hour and didn't ruin a one. It was so easy. I say if you have a lot of e/s, the 15 pan are the way to go!

sugaxbayb

If you ever become a Pro, the eyeshadows come with magnets on them. I just found this out when I bought the student kit, wish I knew the magnet thing before cause I have a 4 palette that I want to change but I cant :[

MiCHiE

I buy pro pans of colors that I know I will use often. I honestly want to have a lot of pots to place in my beaker when it arrives.

fash10nista

I was debating the same issue...But there's a tut on depotting using a flat/straight iron as mentioned by Makeuplovingal and now I'm sold on making my own palettes...(Of course, since I have a e/s obsession, the 15-pan palette makes more sense.
cutey.gif
)

Beauty Mark

If you're going to carry your makeup around with you in a person, I think you should go with a 4 palette. If you're hauling it around professionally or leaving it at home, go with a biggere palette.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash10nista
I was debating the same issue...But there's a tut on depotting using a flat/straight iron as mentioned by Makeuplovingal and now I'm sold on making my own palettes...(Of course, since I have a e/s obsession, the 15-pan palette makes more sense.
cutey.gif
)

I love that tut. I can do 2 e/s at one time.

csuthetaphi

Get the 15 pan! Once you start getting e/s and depotting, its fun and addicting. You are going to want more and run out of room quick! I keep extra 4 pans around for travel, because the 15 pans are too big to take.

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
If you have more than a couple of quads, they can be a pain to store. Get yourself a 15 pan and fill that sucker up.
smiles.gif

Depotting is easy if you have an easy method. I don't hold with the candle depotting method; too much carcinogenic funk and fumes. There's a link in my signature to a tutorial page that has a completely idiot-proof way of depotting eyeshadows with a basic clothes iron.
smiles.gif

quick question Lara........... i dont have a pro store around where would i buy a 15 pan?..... and how much are they ? .... b/c i need to buy 5 of them....

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperRealGurl
quick question Lara........... i dont have a pro store around where would i buy a 15 pan?..... and how much are they ? .... b/c i need to buy 5 of them....

I am not Lara, but... I am pretty sure you can order the 15 pans from the pro website or the pro 1-800 #. I believe they are $12.50 each.

And about the original post, I was TERRIFIED to depot also. But it was just getting to be too much of a pain to store all my pots. Looking for certain colors took me forever as I got more and more shadows. I started depotting when I had about 10 e/s and used a craft heat gun to depot. It is super simple, and I love the fact that you can get free lipsticks by recycling the packaging! My advice is when you do your first one, don't pick your favorite one, just in case... but I am halfway through my second palette with no casualties LOL!

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNicole
I am not Lara, but... I am pretty sure you can order the 15 pans from the pro website or the pro 1-800 #. I believe they are $12.50 each.

And about the original post, I was TERRIFIED to depot also. But it was just getting to be too much of a pain to store all my pots. Looking for certain colors took me forever as I got more and more shadows. I started depotting when I had about 10 e/s and used a craft heat gun to depot. It is super simple, and I love the fact that you can get free lipsticks by recycling the packaging! My advice is when you do your first one, don't pick your favorite one, just in case... but I am halfway through my second palette with no casualties LOL!

ha im glad i know this now.. b/c i was looking on ebay and those things are selling for 20$

sissypooh

Palettes are your friend!

Congrats on Joining the MAC world!

Pretty soon you'll be addicted, don't worry, it wont take long. But for now, beginners of MAC shadows love to aquire their cute little pots of fun. I use to love to line my up on my vanity and stare. However, once you start to get a few more, they can become a little messy. The palettes are such a help.

I have so many shadows now, I forget what colors I have. Palettes are great b/c you can easily store your shades and still see what great colors you can choose from for the day. They are easier to travel with, and less likely to break without all of the jumbling around.

As far as depotting, it's a breeze. Everyone has their own method. I know people who have put theirs in the oven (I have never tried that). My way involves pair of tweezers, a candle, and a butter knife. I take the tweezers, hold a shadow over the candle, wait for it to melt through (for both layers), and then I push it out with the knife. I'm sure there is an easier way, but that one works best for me.

As of now, I have 6 palettes of the 15 count (go for the big one, b/c it saves space instead of having 8 of the quads lying around). Trust me, as much as I love my individuals, the palettes were the best choice I ever made!

Good luck!

ebonyannette

I like the pallets as well. It also helps lay everything out so you can see what you have.
Depotting is soo easy its not as hard as it sounds. Plus buying the pans are cheaper than buying the pots. The pans are about $10.50 and the pots are $13.50 (retail) I get pans as much as possible but every now and then I end up with a pot and Im like Aargh! I depot them asap.
I find the candle method quicker (albeit messier) I used a flat Iron and it was really easy too but my flat iron doesnt get that hot so I had to wait like 10 minutes for one pot
ssad.gif

Just try it you'll like it
smiles.gif

~LadyLocks~

I'm sure eveyone already answered your question but I'd say definitely pallete as well!! They are easier to store, and the e/s are cheaper, and you don't have to keep opening each color...you'll have them all in one =D. I originally started off using the 4 palletes but I found that it was taking up to much room and I had to keep opening up different ones to use different colors so I finally went and baught me a 15 one and I can honestly say it's my greatest investment yet! I plan on buying a few more soon hehe. Good Luck!!

MacVirgin

I so agree with Lara. I love my pallets and they save me lots of space. i'm waititng *for ever grrrrr* for some pallets to come in. I cant wait till they get here cause i need the space
th_rolleye0014.gif
smiles.gif

bellaetoile

i got up to about 50-some eyeshadows before i decided to de-pot. i was initally planning on using quads, however, with the sheer amout of shadows i owned, i realized that quads would be a pain in the ass. the 15-pans have made getting ready so much easier. plus, travelling and transportation is much simpler, as well. and think of the free lipsticks with all of the empties!

the only drawback is that having so many colors in one place CAN get dangerous, especially if you get ready over a hard counter, and a non-carpeted surface. i dropped a palette in my bathroom once, and shattered several shadows. more shadows in one place heightens the risk of loss if you should accidently drop a palette. just something to consider.

Latest posts