Too "Drag Queen"?

YvetteJeannine

MODERATOR: COULD YOU PLEASE MOVE THIS TO A MORE APPROPRIATE FORUM..I DIDN'T REALIZE WHEN I POSTED THIS WASN'T TE BEST PLACE FOR IT..THANKS

I am pretty new to buying MAC and trying to experiment w/ new MU looks. I've always been pretty tame (read: boring) w/ MU looks in the past so I thought I'd try to spice things up. Since I'm new to this kind of thing, I'm sure I also have the ability to really make myself look like an ass.

A few weeks ago I was at Nordstrom at the MAC counter. Even though there's a MAC store at the Westfarms mall I go to the Nordy MAC counter because the associates are more attentive there, and more willing to help me come up w/ new looks. Well, I've been really wanting to buy "Black Tied" e/s and try something new. I was looking at some icy whites or a frosty nude to go with it. The MA said it would look "too drag queen". Instead, she fixed me up with Embark, Saddle, and Naked Lunch and she did a smokey eye look with those. She said with my coloring (medium fair skin, blue eyes and red hair) those would look much, much better on me. I bought them, but.....I'm STILL looking at Black Tied and longing for it. I swear I'm falling in love with that shadow!

Now, for my question: What do you ladies think? Was the MAC MA right? Or, is there a way to make BT e/s look good on me (with or w/o a frosty white or frosty neutral). I'm sorry..maybe I have NO idea what I'm doing, but I'm thinking if done correctly, a look like that (BT with a frost) could look really cool. Will somebody please set me straight on this (and please don't be too critical if you think the MA was right and I'm being really stupid). Thanks a mill, ladies. Love ya all!!

FemmeNoir

Go for it! Just play around at home. Milani Storm is very similar to Black Tied, so if you could try that and save money. If you don't have Milani in your area let me know and I can CP.
smiles.gif

I think the frosty white would be the Drag Queen part, but, like everything, it is all about application.

Good luck!

giz2000

The white shadow is what usually makes a dark, contrasting color look drag queen-ish (although with the "right" application, it won't)...definitely check out Milani Storm so you can play around with the color and see if you like it...if you don't, it's only $2.99 down the drain...

melozburngr

yeah- I have Milani Storm and LOVE it, and I have the same coloring, eye color and hair color that you do
smiles.gif

Milani Storm is near identical to Black Tied, so it is well worth the 2.99 investment
winks.gif
LMK if you have any other questions about colors, I think I've tried them all
smiles.gif

asnbrb

I kind of agree that Black Tied and a white might come off as a bit "drag queenish", but that's not saying that Black Tied isn't a staple (it is!). Try searching the FOTDs or the livejournal, mac_looks, and you'll find tons of different ways of using it. I usually use mine with darker colors like Humid or Nighttrain or Grape.

Brianne

Hey, you go to the mall I used to frequent before I moved out of CT.
smiles.gif

If you do go to the freestanding store, ask for Nik, he is AMAZING. He did awesome makeovers on both my mom and I. Not sure when he works, but we went on Saturday afternoons and he was there then.

Anyway, Black Tied is pretty, but more of a night time look. Use it with other medium/deep shades for a not-too-garish look.

Bass-0-Matic

Do you think BlackTied and Milani Storm have the same texture/blendability and pigmentation? Or just that they look similar in the pan/swatched? Thanks!

beautenoir

I've done a black tied, carbon, and white pigment look before and definately did NOT look like a drag queen!...I would try it out on a free day and take a pic and then you can see what others see...and bottom line, makeup is for you, not anyone else...don't ever let anyone tell you that a certain color won't be good for you because we all have different styles, especially when it comes to makeup.

user3

I think the MA was way off!
It's all about how you wear the colors.
If want it, go get it!
Try out different ways to wear and go with what you like best!

Cyn

I think it's all in the application, you could pull it off if you use the white as a sheer highlighter, as opposed to putting a lot on, but it would be a dramatic look. The key is to make sure it doesn't look harsh on you, which is more important.

For the white, why not try the BonBon's cheapie white pigment, it's actually pretty good and it's shimmery. I've been wanting Crystal Avalanche for a while, but this works well enough and it's less than a dollar at Walmart.

YvetteJeannine

Hey everyone...thanx so much for all your replys!! I've actually never seen any of the "Milani" cosemetics nor would I know where to get them (any suggestions?)...

BRIANNE:

I will give a call to the MAC store and ask for Nik...once when I went there, there was a guy with another customer and he came up to me and told me the makeup I had on (which another girl there did) looked amazing on me (He said it with so much enthusiasm that I instantly loved him!...maybe this guy was Nik ????).

Anyway, thanks so much ladies...I really appreciate everything, especially since this is kinda new to me.

Latest posts