top ramen anyone??

mzreyes

ok sooooo... I'm soooo freakin broke right now its not even funny. College books set me back BIG TIME. So I've basically been living off of top ramen and cup'o'noodles. lol.. I know, I know.. It's bad for you.. Too much sodium, not enough vitamins and nutrients, but damn! It fills me up. I have eat it with egg though. Ya know, crack an egg and swirl it around the pot. When I was little, my grandma used to put brocoli, aspargus, and other veggies in it.

I was wondering.. what do you all do with your top ramen? any good recipes? Anything good to add with it? Do share!!

aziajs

I like to stir fry them with sesame oil. Someone I know showed me that once. She just drained the water, heated some sesame oil in a pan and threw in the ramen with the flavor packet. It was so good. I'd like to try adding some veggies and meat. Maybe chicken and broccoli.

CantAffordMAC

to be honest, i've always eaten them plain.
It never appealed to me to add anything...I dunno why.
But i added some salt and pepper to a cup o noodles recently, and it gives them a lot more flavor.

xolovinyoo

lol, i eat em with eggs too, and my grandma used to do the same thing! but i also like it with sausages in there too with rice Haha

d_flawless

take out the seasoning packet and it's way healthier...add garlic, low sodium soy sauce, peanut sauce, whatever flavors you like, plus some veggies and it's more balanced

righteothen

I love using it for experiments. Sometimes, when I have leftover sauces from going out (yes, I keep the sauces from entres), I'll put the ramen in a skillet with a matching lid and a little water, cover, cook, flip, cook (so it's done), drain the water using the lid, add the sauce, and "fry" the ramen in the sauce.

This is really good with leftover, reheated rice underneath.

The great thing about this method is you can do it with homemade sauces, store bought, etc., and also add veggies, or eggs, or meat. It's really quick, and since the bulk of the meal is ramen, it's really cheap ^_^.

Oh, and there's a book called "101 things to do with ramen" (or something similar).

And beef and barley soup with ramen = 100x heartier. Basically, any broth based soup. I haven't tried chowders, but it just doesn't seem right, somehow.

jilliandanica

I think ramen is good with or without extra stuff. If you're feeling super broke, buying veggies and other stuffs to add to it will only make you spend more money.

If you've got some extra cash then add cheap, hearty veggies like carrots, potatoes, celery, bell peppers, squashes, eggplant, etc. To make it more like pancit style you can always use just enough water to soften the noodles then fry 'em up and do some steam rice.

My first 2 years of college ramen was definitely a staple...one of my buddies was telling me about this ramen site n when i saw your post i totally thought of it...check it out...ramen for life haha

http://ramendepot.com/

hth!

righteothen

That site reminds me, there's a thing called Shin Cup, that is absolutely amazing. I can find the bowls around here for .80, but there are cups that I can find for cheaper, just more traveling. The greatest thing about these is that they are so flavorful, you do not have to add anything, and since they are in their own bowl, they are great to bring to school/work.

On the ramendepot site, they have both this, and another thing I like called Maruchan, Akai Kitsune Udon Noodle Bowl. This is also really good, but not as flavorful.

Seriously, though, you can find both of these a lot cheaper if you happen to be near an Asian grocery store. That site is great, though, because they are all at the same place ;D.

Indigowaters

I will ONLY eat it with cubed steak. Both have to be seasoned with Lawry's(?) Seasoned Salt. I then cut it in little pieces and mix it up all over the noodles. Good eating! :p (Oh, and I also like mine sticky and not wet so I drain almost all but a smidgen of water out then season it and add the cubed steak.)

spectrolite

OMG I was so poor and starving at uni. I remember it well. My clothes were literally falling off of me. I guess I was going to parties or raves every weekend so that didn't help haha :p Anyways ramen was a staple! At 25 cents a packet it's the perfect food for the poverty stricken uni bum.

If its soup ramen sometimes I will add spring onion, or grated carrot, but generally I like it just plain salty and unhealthy. I love the kimchi noodles! For instant fried noodles I like to add any or all of these things: those crunchy chow mein noodles, fried onion, spring onion, sesame oil, frozen peas, chopped tofu, and ketchup manis or satay sauce.

I also love getting those pre-seasoned packets of ramen and eating them straight out of the pack hehe. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to have to wait the 2 minutes...

melliquor

I love those. I have always eaten them with nothing else added. I remember living off of those in uni.

gigglegirl

for me, I found it costs about the same to buy a box of that minute rice, b/c if its just you, you make very little and it can actually work out to be cheaper (depends on where you buy it, how many servings etc) and its always nice to have some alternative. And honestly, buying ramen noodles for say 25c a piece, you could always go to the produce section and buy a single potato for cheap. And you could get veggies too--grocery stores here have celery and carrot sticks split up so you can pick as little or as many as you want. you can get pretty creative even on a small budget.

Lisa J

You know, this is the second area that I've heard of these ramen noodles, but I have never seen them on the shelves in Canada! Earlier this year was the first time I'd ever heard of them, but it seems like such a staple that all of you have grown up on! Are these only sold in the States?

msmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J
You know, this is the second area that I've heard of these ramen noodles, but I have never seen them on the shelves in Canada! Earlier this year was the first time I'd ever heard of them, but it seems like such a staple that all of you have grown up on! Are these only sold in the States?

They are in Canada as well. Everywhere. Any grocery store.

msmack

You can definatly do things to them to spice them up and make them more exciting. I am a big fan of adding an egg. But veggies make it really tasty. You can use frozen or fresh, both very cheap.

yummy411

lol surviving off of ramen noodles is good for your character =))) haha! i did it, you can too!

i had a terrible hankering for some soup. the canned crap didn't cut it with the rubber noodles. i didn't want to do it grandma's way with cut up veggies etc. so my ramen noodles came in handy. i just bought a pack of chicken breast. cooked 2 or so at a time with different seasoning (forman grille or the oven) and refrigerated until needed. i would dice it up and add it to the noodles as i go!

good luck and hang in there!

aziajs

So, for all of you that add an egg, how do you do it? Do you boil the water, drop a blended egg in and swirl with the spoon? Does this produce those nice egg strands you find in fried rice or pad thai?