top ramen anyone??

mzreyes

thanks for your input everyone
smiles.gif

aziajs: I drop the egg in when the noodles are cooked, and after I stir in the seasoning. I leave the stove on so the soup is simmering, crack the egg, let it sit for like 20 seconds, and then take a fork and swirl it around until the egg is fully cooked.

xjudyx: you're not the only asian one
smiles.gif
I looooooove me some sarachi sauce, especially with pho!! I love lemon juice with the chicken flavored ramen
smiles.gif

gigglegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J
You know, this is the second area that I've heard of these ramen noodles, but I have never seen them on the shelves in Canada! Earlier this year was the first time I'd ever heard of them, but it seems like such a staple that all of you have grown up on! Are these only sold in the States?

Hey Lisa,

Yep they are definitely in Canada, though sometimes different brand names, I've never seen "Top Ramen" in Winnipeg. But I grew up with Mr. Noodles. Or called oriental instant noodles, something to that effect, most stores (we have store chains like Safeway, Sobey's, Superstore) have their own generic house brand.

j_absinthe

Most of my family just puts hot sauce and pepper in theirs.

If anything, just make sure you're taking a one-a-day or something, living off all that ramen.

thelove4tequila

Well around 97' our family was sooo poor all I ate was Ramen, bagels and popcorn for a year and a half!!! Damn I SICK of those things. LOL. I don't think I've touched popcorn since. I do still like the occasional Ramen though. I HATE when the noodles are too soft, so I boil the water, add seasoning, then take the pot off the heat and let the noodles cook for a few minutes. Al dente.

This egg idea is interesting. I think I'll have to try it. Does the egg add to the soup like egg drop soup or bird's nest soup? (I think that's what they are called. Sorry if I'm TOTALLY wrong)

CantAffordMAC

yeah how does the egg make the noodles taste?

I like my noodles al dente too...my boyfriend cooks his for like 4 or 5 minutes, its so gross. lol, i put my noodles in and then after maybe a minute or less i turn it off and hurry and put it in a bowl (if you let it sit it gets mushy). And I don't mix the seasoning packet in the pot, i put it in the bowl and stir it right before I eat it (more flavorful)

xIxSkyDancerxIx

Egg and cheese is the best~

And my boyfriend says "ramen noodles with soup is good"

LOL. I want ramen now.. I'm going to go make some lol

Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
Hey Lisa,

Yep they are definitely in Canada, though sometimes different brand names, I've never seen "Top Ramen" in Winnipeg. But I grew up with Mr. Noodles. Or called oriental instant noodles, something to that effect, most stores (we have store chains like Safeway, Sobey's, Superstore) have their own generic house brand.

Oh OK, I know Mr. Noodles. I remember kids at school eating those dry all the time. My mom never let us get them though! I have a feeling I've really been missing out!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I learned how to make top ramen when I was like 6 years old, and I would make it ALLLL THE TIME. to this day My dad still teases me about how much ramen I used to eat. My grandma would cook ramen for seriously.. 15-20 minutes the noodles would get really soft and almost clear, and I liked it,

I like it either way, It depends on my mood.

Switz1880

If you guys like Ramen noodles, you should definitely try Thai Kitchen. They come in red and black packages and have rice noodles instead. I find them to be less salty then Ramen noodles and they come in interesting flavors like lemograss chili and Bangkok curry. I know Whole Foods here in NJ carries it.

reverieinbflat

Alright, my favorite broke dorm noodle recipe. That is if I can remember. I was fed up with traditional Ramen flavor and decided to make this instead.

1 pack of Ramen (I used beef, flavor, I think)
Peanut Butter
Salt & Pepper
Olive oil (I think you could go without this.)
A seasoning of your choice (I happened to have meat tenderizer on hand because my roommate added it to everything. It retrospect, I would have preferring something with a little spice.)

First, take peanut butter (get a healthy spoonful and dump in it a microwave safe bowl.) and a small amount of olive oil and stir until combined. You could probably use water instead, but the oil seemed to cut the peanut butter better, and kept it from getting too solid after it cooled down. Add a half or a fourth of the ramen seasoning, your seasoning of choice, and pepper. Microwave until liquidy. Drain excess oil, there will be some even if you just used water.

Cook ramen, in salted water (more flavorful ramen.) Drain water. Combine Peanut sauce and ramen and heat for an additional minute or so.

Enjoy!

It's pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter to begin with, and this still tasted too much like it.

My boyfriend made as ramen, cheese, and egg once. Very tasty.

RoseMe

Chop up green onion, drop an egg, slice and throw in some mashroom and fish cake if you have them, and top them off (after removing from the heat) with fresh bean sprout! You are good for a while!!!
smiles.gif

righteothen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJUDYx
mmm pho! theres actually some instant pho noodle packages. try the asian markets!

Uuuu, I really need to try those.

Instant udon can also be pretty good, depending on the brand.

captodometer

Sorry, but ramen noodles are pure evil
th_remoteImage-61.gif
They were bad 15 years ago when I was a student in Wisconsin. And they are even worse now that I'm a student in New Zealand. Ugh. They can not be saved, regardless of what you add to them
smiles.gif

Kimberleigh

I've been eating them quite a bit lately; for whatever reason, they just sound good, and they're so fast to make. In order to cut the sodium content down, I use only about 1/4-1/2 of the packet of seasoning.