Trip to Montreal- Suggestions

Krasevayadancer

Hello all!

So the bf and I are planning a 4 day trip to Montreal in July. Who has suggestions for places to see, things to do, and places to eat?

We will have a car and are thinking of staying at the Sandman, is that good?

Would love to hear what you lovely Canadian folks have to say!

val-x

You HAVE TO go on St-Catherine Street(my little sister's name lol) it's like a really big Mall but on a street they even have a LA SENZA with 3 floors! You can't go back to NY without going there. But don't forget sunglasses and sunscreen! HAVE FUN!
smiles.gif

Sanayhs

MONTREAL! MY LOVE! Ahem.

St. Catherine's is fun, but so is St. Laurent (which also happens to have Montreal's MAC pro store, but that's not the point). The biodome makes me happy, especially the penguins. Out that was is also the Botanical Gardens, which are beautiful. There are, like, ten green houses and a huge amount of space outdoors, too. The insectarium is fun, but not nearly as cool as the biodome and gardens.

Basilique Notre Dame is beautiful, and it's in Old Montreal. Whether you go to see the basilique or not, you really must visit the old port. It's GORGEOUS. And, if you have the money for a horse and carriage ride, do it! It's a fun tour. There's even one street in the old port that still has gas street lights!

Montreal's "underground city" is lovely. The subway system (known as the metro) is lovely and kept quite clean, as well as having underground, well, everything along with it.

You should climb Mount Royal. It's gorgeous. Up at the top, there's a lookout built in where you can look out across all of Montreal. It's particularly sensational on a clear night, when you can see all of the lights.

Part way up Mount Royal is a park, and on Sunday mornings in the summer season there are the Tam Tams held there. Basically, there are a bunch of people with drums and some funky stuff to sell. Don't go if you're adverse to the smell of marijuana, though. :p

To eat, you should make sure you get a proper smoked meat sandwich. You simply should. I also love walking down the street and ducking into a shop for a fresh bagel and walking along chewing on that, but it's no smoked meat sandwich. :p

My beloved McGill University is in Montreal, but it's not really something I think you need to go see. :p There are a number of museums about, including one on campus, though.

There's just... so much. There are so many fantastic sections of the city reflecting different cultures and ohhh the food...

I love that city.

Jello89

Yes St-Catherine is a must for shopping! St-Laurent is great too. For food, In my Opinion, Montreal is the best. We have so many different types of food and most of the restaurants you will find are decent. Try this website : Restaurants de Montréal / Guide des Restaurants Montreal - RestoMontreal.ca It has reviews and ratings of different restaurants in the montreal areal.

Here is the webpage for St-Laurent: Boulevard Saint-Laurent La MAin Montréal Québec Boulevard Saint-Laurent > Current News
The holy MAC Pro store is situated there<3 If you are interested there is also China town and little Italy.

There is the is also The Old Port. Very pretty. In the summer time there is often many events happening. It is nice to walk by the shops and take some good pictures
winks.gif
You can even stop by where I work at the Beaver Tails/La cremiere. We sell Ice cream and Beaver tails(In case you dont know, its fried dough with toppings. Its good I swear). There is also the Museum of Science in the old Port.

There is the Place des Arts. they have displays in the halways some times too.

Everything on St-Catherine between Atwater and Berri UQUAM metro stations is what I am familiar with and you must walk that area. Very nice shops. Steve madden, Ogilvy, The Bay, Betsey Johnson, Aldo, Guess, Buffalo and a zillion other stores! There is also Holt Renfrew on Sherbrooke Near the Mcgill Metro station I believe. Crescent is a popular shreet. Pubs, bars, restos,etc...

I dont know what else to say, there is too much lol. I really hope you enjoy your visit. I love living in Montreal and I think you will have a great time!

Jello89

PS: Where is the Sandman Located. I have not heard of it but I am not great with hotels in mtl.

also having a car is great, but going downtown is alot easier if you walk and take the metro! Driving will be awful.