UPDATED FAKES pic analysis courtesy halocaustic

panda0410

This post is a cross post from HH forum and is reposted with many thanks to HALOCAUSTIC for both her time and effort in a detailed pictorial analysis of the newest updated fake mac pigments.

COURTESY of HALOCAUSTIC
Apologies for the large pics but they need to be big enough to see clearly.
First off, the packaging on these fakes are the best I've seen in years. VERY, VERY close to the real deal. This is even more reason to only buy from people you know for a FACT have genuine pigments and not from people who THINK they have genuine pigments!
The pigments themselves? Well...that's another story and we'll get to that.

Okay here goes.....

1. First comparison, and the one that's debated most often - the base labels:
fake1.jpg

You can see the base label on the genuine one is very clear and has a batch number clearly printed on it. Batch numbers can either be printed or stamped but ALL pigments should have a colour name and a batch number. Pro pigments have clear labels and Ltd Ed and regular line pigments will have silver labels. The label on the fake pigment is too opaque and has no batch number.

Also, you can see the subtle difference in colour here too. I'll explain more about that later on too.

2. The back of the jars:
fake2.jpg

Pre 2006 - genuine MAC pigments had centre aligned text on the back of the jjars. This changed to left aligned text in late 2006(ish). I have seen fakes with both versions of the text.

Fake pigments, although the aligment of the text is correct, normally have the font slightly off or the text way too thick. The pictures haven't come out too great here, but you can *just* see that the text on the fake is thicker than the genuine one. Again the subtle colour difference is visible.

3. The lids:
fake3.jpg

Genuine pigments have matte black lids except for some really really old batches (normally pre-2001). The old batches will have corresponding pre-2001 batch number though which should verify authenticity. You can see here that the fake pigment lid has a sheen to it, even though the pic isn't that great :/

4. The product itself:
fake4.jpg

What alarms me most about this is that the fake pigment texture is very, very similar to the genuine one. They're getting closer every time. However, here you can see the colour difference again and it's a bit clearer. The fake pigment lacks the base blue hue of the genuine one.

5.The BIG difference - the swatches:
fake5.jpg

Okay...pictures speak louder than words here. This is precisely the reason I wanted to see the pigment in person. Although the pictures the website sent looked convincing enough, I knew that swatching the pigment would tell me 100% if it was fake or not. You can see that the fake pigment is a wishy washy colour compared to the genuine one. It also has a helluva lot of gold pearl in it which the genuine one doesn't have.

Here's a pic of the swatches in a different light:
fake6.jpg

Here you can see the characteristic blue green sheen that gives the genuine pigment it's name. The fake pigment looks like a goldy black and has no visible blue or green on application.
The fake pigment also stained my skin a bit and was hard to wash off compared to the genuine one. Not something I want to put on my eye area!

Okay....now on to the boxes. Now this was hard....really hard! These boxes are so close to the real deal that I was gobsmacked when I saw them. However, there are some very subtle differences.

6. The box tops:
fake6-1.jpg

Genuine MAC pigment will always have the label in the same place, the top right hand corner of the lid. As you can see, the label on the fake is identical to that of the genuine one which is worrying. The fake boxes will also normally be slightly scratched as batches of fakes are shipped thrown into big boxes.

7. The front of the boxes:
fake7.jpg

MAC are extremely picky about quality control and don't do 'seconds' so printing errors on boxes are sure signs of fakes. Although you really need to know what the genuine boxes look like to see the errors. From this picture if you look closely the text at the bottom of the fake box isn't as defined as the genuine box, everything else is spot on though. Also I noticed that the fake pigment box cardboard feels much poorer quality that the genuine one.

8. The bottom labels:
fake8.jpg

These are very close. The one glaring difference is that the batch number is printed on the label of the fake and NOT on the jar label, whereas you can see that the batch number on the genuine box label corresponds with the batch number on the jar.

9. The body of the jar:
I was unable to get a picture of it because it didn't show up on pics :/
The plastic of the fake jar has a horrible wavy, almost bevelled look to it and reflects the light weird whereas the genuine jar is perfectly smooth and good quality plastic.

I hope this has explained things a bit better!!

If you want more info on how to spot earlier runs of fakes (there are lots of different kinds of fakes out there) there are good guides on ebay, make-up alley and specktra.net

I'll give you a few of the most obvious ones here though:
* Don't buy any bulk batches of pigments on ebay
* Every genuine MAC product has a colour name, not just a number or a description like 'sparkly black'. If you're not familiar with the colour name, google it and do your research.
*Don't buy ANYTHING from Hong Kong, Thailand or China. They will most likely be fake. This is where the counterfeits started although a lot have been coming out of Australia recently.
*MAC pigments never have black jar labels with white text showing only a batch number. These are the first run fakes from the far east and they are still in circulation
*MAC pigments never have a weird nozzle type thing on the inside plastic lid of the jar. I've seen a few fakes recently with this bizzare thing on them!
*Be very, very wary of any seller who has more than one of the really rare colours and don't be afraid to ask for extra pics of the bottom label. If it's a discontinued product or a Ltd ed colour, google for more info and find out what the batch number is likely to be (if they are only available for a ltd period of time, the batch numbers will be quite specific) and see if the pics correspond.

There are LOADS of other ways to spot fakes and if you google 'how to spot fake MAC pigments' you will find good guides and even Youtube videos to help you out...or you can always email me. I have eyes like a hawk ;

panda0410

I want to add these pics - another fake deep blue green pigment bought by a member here and good example of how similar to real these new pigments are! Note the same batch code as the fake identified above by halocaustic -

dscn0964co6.jpg

dscn0963ui5.jpg

dscn0962bv3.jpg

dscn0961ti8.jpg

dscn0960ts9.jpg

thelove4tequila

Wow!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the repost. I cannot believe those guys are getting extremely cleaver at producing very good fakes. It really needs to stop.

MACATTAK

The fakes are getting really good & they are really branching out in colors as well. I no longer will buy any pigments on Ebay. Even people who are in the US or other countries can still be buying from Thailand, Hong Kong etc and selling these, so you might think they are okay, but they aren't
ssad.gif
Thank you Panda and Halocaustic for taking the time to show us, yet again, how bad it's getting
ssad.gif
It may take something really serious happening to someone before Ebay listens.

Obreathemykiss

Thank you very much for providing us with this information. All of you ladies have been very helpful and do everything you can to prevent us from buying fake and harmful products. I appreciate it!

halocaustic

I was really shocked when I saw just how good these fakes were - but they still haven't got the colours quite right. The problem is, that's really the only sure fire way to tell now, is to swatch them. When I posted that on the Hair forum, as expected, a few of the girls checked their pigments and found them to be fake. Would they have know if I hadn't posted those pics? Would they all have gone on to buy hundreds of pounds worth of fakes if people like myself, Silent and kittiegothgirl hadn't raised our doubts?

It just so happens that bulk beauty buys (the site offering these fakes) just so happened to go down 'for maintenance' once Ally sent them an email showing these pics.

Oh well...that's another victory for us
yahoo.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
The fakes are getting really good & they are really branching out in colors as well. I no longer will buy any pigments on Ebay. Even people who are in the US or other countries can still be buying from Thailand, Hong Kong etc and selling these, so you might think they are okay, but they aren't
ssad.gif
Thank you Panda and Halocaustic for taking the time to show us, yet again, how bad it's getting
ssad.gif
It may take something really serious happening to someone before Ebay listens.

my thoughts exactly!! while it might be easier for a few of us to tell, I am less and less inclined to buy from ebay - one day the fakers will down pat the packaging and no-one will know until they get it and swatch it
ssad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocaustic
I was really shocked when I saw just how good these fakes were - but they still haven't got the colours quite right. The problem is, that's really the only sure fire way to tell now, is to swatch them. When I posted that on the Hair forum, as expected, a few of the girls checked their pigments and found them to be fake. Would they have know if I hadn't posted those pics? Would they all have gone on to buy hundreds of pounds worth of fakes if people like myself, Silent and kittiegothgirl hadn't raised our doubts?

It just so happens that bulk beauty buys (the site offering these fakes) just so happened to go down 'for maintenance' once Ally sent them an email showing these pics.

Oh well...that's another victory for us
yahoo.gif

ITA re the swatch comparisons - you cant know until you've received/swatched it and even then you need an original authentic pigment to compare it to. A lot of people are going to be unable to discern the subtle differences in packaging and wont have anything to compare and simply assume that what they bought is real
ssad.gif

halocaustic

Ack! The woman has no shame!!
nonono.gif

I've already emailed MAC about this site, but they seem to be a bit lax these days with replying. Everyone else, feel free to send MAC an email to hopefully have the site shut down permanently!

Lizzie

It's shocking how similar the fake looks to the real (aside from the swatch haha)....
too bad I don't have eyes like a hawk....it's why I always go to the MAC counter/website.

look_divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocaustic
Ack! The woman has no shame!!
nonono.gif

I've already emailed MAC about this site, but they seem to be a bit lax these days with replying. Everyone else, feel free to send MAC an email to hopefully have the site shut down permanently!

they definately fakes on this bulk beauty buys webstie then?

VDUB*BELLA

OMG this is a real issue
I am just.... speechless how good these guys are getting. Wow
Now I am scared as I have recently bought some piggies even if from reputable sellers.

Never EVER again. I am so sad and mad at the same time. This is crazy frustrating.
I remember when tons of fake UGGS and Rock & Republic jeans were showing up on ebay. Both companies took some SERIOUS action against the sellers and ebay as well. WAKE UP MAC

look_divine

so how the hell can a website sell fake MAC and get away with it, surely they have to have a business account and be registered with the government?
Or is that me being naive?
am now only purchasing off sellers recommended on here for mac, im so surprised mac can be faked, how many other brands are faked does anyone know?

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by look_divine
so how the hell can a website sell fake MAC and get away with it, surely they have to have a business account and be registered with the government?
Or is that me being naive?
am now only purchasing off sellers recommended on here for mac, im so surprised mac can be faked, how many other brands are faked does anyone know?

I'm not sure how the system works but if the government or the business association are informed of this, they might investigate it?

You surely are not being naive about this. It's just... unstoppable but we have to warn the unsuspecting buyers to stop buying those fakes.

As for other brands being faked.. don't be surprised. Majority of the cosmetic lines are being faked and made into counterfeit items, sold cheaply in bulk then sold individually. There's MAC, Chanel, NARS, Bobbi Brown (mostly brush sets), etc.

Xqueeze_me

Updated fake MAC Pigments

Sorry, triple post!

Thanks to julie (and a counterfeit seller, kate.richie) for providing this information, the updated fakes are (and may not be limited to):
  • Deep Blue Green
  • Deep Purple
  • Green Brown
  • Blue Brown
  • Blue
  • Basic Red
  • Jardinaires
  • Provence
  • Emerald Green
  • Chartreuse
  • Rocking Orange
  • Copperclast
  • Copper Sparkle
  • Electric Coral
  • Tan
  • Accent Red
  • Rose Gold
  • Silver Fog

Thanks to a counterfeit seller's list: kate.richie
Glitters:
  • Reflects Gold
  • Neon 60's
  • Black
  • 3D Silver
  • Rocking Orange

Eyeshadows:
  • Budding Beauty
  • Idol Eyes
  • Jasmine
  • Surreal
  • Vellum
  • Swimming
  • Angelcake
  • Satellite Dreams
  • Black Tied
  • Light Ray
  • Rose Blanc
  • Twinks
  • Fade
  • Romp
  • Club

halocaustic

Ooh thanks for that.
I noticed some really strange looking Basic Red on ebay and wondered if there was a new batch of fakes.