very sensitive skin question

Ketta

I have SUPER sensitive skin, and very red cheeks. I can wear anything on my eyes and lips, but when it comes to my skin, I have a really rough time.

I have Lancome photogenic in clair, that is about all I use that doesn't itch after 20 minutes. I'm going to check out the bare essentials thread, as a few people have recommended that, but if you have any other suggestions for sensitive skin, I'd love the help!

MAC and Clinique are off the list. i tried estee lauder's individualist ( I think it was called that) today, it's ok, but a little itchy. The 2w1 seems to be the perfect color!

Shimmer

the bismuth in the bare escentuals might aggravate you a bit if you don't use a primer or a good lotion before putting it on, but I've been very happy with the ID Bare Minerals.
smiles.gif

Lolita

I have somewhat sensitive skin myself... but I've found that its actually soap that bothers my skin (actually, I've known this forever, I got horrible rashes from most laundry detergent when I was little, but anyway...). My skin has improved so much since ive stopped using face washes with SLS (soap, basically) in them. I currently use MAC's cleanse off oil at night, and neutrogena's extra gentle cleanswer in the AM. I know Aveda makes a microfiber cloth you can use for cleansing without any product which apparently removes makeup - im hoping to try this soon. Also, I've found using cool/cold water has helped a lot with any redness.

Lastly, I think switching to mineral makeup is one of the best things I've done for my skin. Within 3 days of wearing Jane Iredale, all my breakouts and clogged pores (Caused by mac foundation!) dissapeared and my skins general appearance is much better. I would be weary of the BE foundation however, many reviews on MUA say it made them itch.

Corvs Queen

I would check out Nivea's Face Milk for Sensitive skin. It actually repairs your skin to make it less sensitive with time. I think you should start there and then worry about a foundation once your skin is under control. It has worked wonders for my skin. I hardly ever break out now and my skin feels great. It's called Sensitive Balance. They even have a daily moisturizer with SPF that helps too. Hope that helps.

Moyra

I have super sensitive skin myself, and after tons of eczematic breakouts from foundation, sunscreen, cleansers and creams, have switched over to (mostly) mineral based products. I also have a little redness on my cheeks that needs addressing through skin care/makeup.
Like you, Ketta, I am not allergic to eyeshadows or lipstick/glosses.
I also have combination/dry skin, and powder mineral foundations, no matter the brand, bring out every pore or line, most of which I didn't even know I had pre mineral powder foundation. Ugh.
My best finds so far that have actually calmed my skin down :
1.) Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals Foundation (get it on EBay, its waaaay cheaper there);
2.) Jane Iredale Circle Delete Concealer (works everywhere, and if you apply a light layer under your eyes, doesn't crease. Get it on Ebay);
3.) Pure Luxe What Red? and Banana Split "Eraser" products, more like primers - miracle potions!
4.) Diane Young Red Neutralizer - another miracle product, minimal ingredients, doesn't break me out. This REALLY works, even though it only comes in one color, it blends in even with my nc15, super pale skin. I can't imagine not having this in my arsenal.
5.) Sunscreen is a problem for a lot of us sensitive skinned women - I tried everything, in the end, the only one that worked for me, didn't break me out and does double duty as a moisturizer/sunscreen is the dirt cheap, drugstore "Purpose Anti Redness Moisturizer with SPF 30".
6.) I take my makeup off with exrtra virgin olive oil (essential rose or frankincense oils added to remove salad-y smell) or almond oil, tone with rosewater (what they call "hydrosol", Lavender water or citrus flower water works great too), mositurize with NAPCA (from the health food store) and 3 drops of grapeseed or avocado oil, depending on how dry my skin feels.

I do not wear all of the above products at one time on a regular basis. During the day I usually only wear the Purpose Anti Redness, the Pure Luxe Erasers with a little concealer and some mineral based powder over that (NOT BE or anythng with bismuth, which makes me itch madly).
After 2 months of using these products my red patches are almost gone (except when it gets really hot outside) and I haven't had a single bad reaction, and I have no more dry scaly patches anywhere.
By the way, if you have sensitive skin, stay miles away from any "exfoliating", "dermabrasion", etc products. They are sooooo irritating to us!
Hope this helps!

Shawna

Moved this to recs for you. You'll get more help here
smiles.gif
And I second the mineral makeup. I have very sensitive skin that actually reacts to the titanium dioxide or iron oxide in products. My skin only seems to be bothered by liquid products with those ingredients though. Even though mineral makeup has them, the dry powder formula doesn't aggrevate my skin the way the liquid products do. Bare Escentuals has been great for me. No itching or redness or burning at all.

Winthrop44

I have very sensitive skin and rosacea. Have you seen a dermatologist to check if your red cheeks may be from rosacea? I can hardly use anything on my face! I wash with Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser and rinse with bottled water and I wear Clinique Super City Block SPF25 sunscreen daily. It contains only titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Chemical suscreens are often not tolerated by rosaceans. I am able to wear Trish McEvoy Even Skin foundation, a liquid, but I only use it on special occasions. I know some rosaceans with very sensitive skin who can use the mineral make-up from Cory Cosmetics. It has no bismuth and you can also get it without mica. I am currently trying the mineral make-up from Alima Cosmetics....also no bismuth, but it does have mica. Hope this helps. Good luck!

XxTinker_BellxX

IM ALLERGIC TO BARE ESSCENTUALS!!!!!!!! i have allergies to everything lol, but ... i put it on my hand to see the color i walked away and my hand was on FIRE, i was itchy and started to get hives!!!
eeksign.gif
You should most definitley test it out first
smiles.gif

martygreene

I too have very sensitive skin. Do you perchance know what you are allergic to? That might make it easier for you to find something that you can use safely. Sunscreening chemicals used in foundations are often the culprit in many cases.

You might want to try getting some foundation samples from perscriptives or stila, I've had much success with them and sensitive skinned clients.

Mineral makeups are also a possibility, though I would steer away from Bare Escentuals, as they contain bismuth which is a common skin irritant. Amazing Cosmetics (available at Ulta and other stores), Aromaleigh, Pure Luxe, and many others are good to look at.

You might also want to talk to your dermatologist, to see if you can find something you can use as a barrier between your skin and the makeup to help prevent the itchyness.

Latest posts