Visiting San Diego on business....

concertina

...but I will certainly have time for pleasure!
choochoo.gif

So give me the scoop SD girls! What is there to do? Good art museums? Is the zoo worth it? Fun, funky shops? A good beach I can go to and stare at waves and not deal with screaming people or loud music? Is there a fun "downtown" area? Good sushi restaurants? Is there a Pinkberry?
cutey.gif

And of course, what's the best MAC store!? I'll be directly in central San Diego.

Thanks!

nikki

I went to San Diego for the first time in February for my brother's wedding. We went to the San Diego Zoo and it was amazing!! It is huge though. If you plan on going there---make sure you go early and plan to spend the whole day. We also went driving on the strip by the beach. Then went for a walk on the beach---it was nice!
yes.gif
Have fun!!

MissCeeJae

I am originally from Los Angeles but moved out to SD two years ago. I love it! It's not as fast paced as LA and the people are certainly more laid back and chill.

You cannot visit San Diego without seeing the attractions such as San Diego Wild Animal Park, San Diego Zoo, and Sea World. If you want to go museum hopping, Balboa Park has alot to offer.

If you are looking for a young, hip crowd with the beach atmosphere, check out Pacific Beach or Mission Beach. Those two beaches are popular hang out spots (because of the bars and hot surfers
drools.gif
). But if you are looking for a beach to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the sunset without any noise, I suggest Sunset Cliffs or Del Mar (These two are very romantic and quiet areas).

For nightlife, I definitely recommend going to the Gaslamp district (This is what we call downtown San Diego). This area has nothing but restaurants, bars, and clubs. Be careful at night time if you drive since there are alot of one way streets and pedestrians crossing.

My favorite sushi restaurant in San Diego is called Kabuki Sushi. If you eat at the sushi bar, you get to be surrounded by the floating boats circling around the sushi bar that carry all different kinds of sushi. You can also ask the sushi chef to make you a specially made roll if you don't see it on the sushi boat. The price at this restaurant is very affordable. Definitely try the Charlie Roll or the Rock N Roll (my favorite).

Unfortunately, the nearest Pinkberry is outside of San Diego, about 50 miles away. I really wish there was one in SD.

Last but not least, there is only one MAC store in SD, which is located at the Fashion Valley Mall. The store is currently renovating, but they rented a space right next to their original store location. Nordstrom, located also in the Fashion Valley Mall, also sells MAC so the advantage of that is if the MAC store is out of stock for a certain item, you can just walk downstairs to Nordstrom and check if they have that item there.
th_DANCE.gif

I know this post is long, but I just wanted to make your visit memorable. If you have any questions, you can definitely ask me! Have a fun and safe trip!
tong.gif

blackrose

I just moved to San Diego a few months ago from LA so I'm not *too* familiar with everything but I have to say I love love love Starlite Lounge for food and drinks and Aero Club for drinks which are both in Mission Hills on India Street. And when I was downtown recently near the Hard Rock Hotel I noticed there was a Pinkberry opening.

nenebird

You gots lots of good info and recs. Only one update. We have a pinkberry now, not far from downtown. Just get the phone and go.

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenebird
You gots lots of good info and recs. Only one update. We have a pinkberry now, not far from downtown. Just get the phone and go.

Where is it?? My sister lives in SD and is LOVES crackberry, but she can only get it when she comes up here and we go to the one in Rancho Cucamonga. She will be sooo happy if they have one by her!

astronaut

Um... who cares about pinkberry when there's YOGURT WORLD!!!!!
drools.gif

I have to try all the flavors when I'm there. I get full on samples alone! MmmMMMMmm

LOL. I just realized I had some frozen yogurt about an hour ago. And here I am thinking about more haha.

kaexbabey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCeeJae

Last but not least, there is only one MAC store in SD, which is located at the Fashion Valley Mall. The store is currently renovating, but they rented a space right next to their original store location. Nordstrom, located also in the Fashion Valley Mall, also sells MAC so the advantage of that is if the MAC store is out of stock for a certain item, you can just walk downstairs to Nordstrom and check if they have that item there.
th_DANCE.gif

there's another MAC store at plaza bonita mall. it's near chula vista, more towards the "border". it's about 20-30 minutes from fashion valley depending on traffic. there's also an outlet mall .. i think it's called las americas premium outlets with a CCO.

if you're looking for a quiet beach, coronado beach is pretty quiet compared to the other beaches. and you get to drive on the bridge and see a nice view
smiles.gif

there's a place called extraordinary desserts in downtown. i'm not sure what streets its on. only been there once. the macadamia nut cheescake is sooooooo YUM! lol

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaexbabey
there's another MAC store at plaza bonita mall. it's near chula vista, more towards the "border". it's about 20-30 minutes from fashion valley depending on traffic. there's also an outlet mall .. i think it's called las americas premium outlets with a CCO.

if you're looking for a quiet beach, coronado beach is pretty quiet compared to the other beaches. and you get to drive on the bridge and see a nice view
smiles.gif

there's a place called extraordinary desserts in downtown. i'm not sure what streets its on. only been there once. the macadamia nut cheescake is sooooooo YUM! lol

I was going to mention Plaza Bonita, but then again it's in National City so it's technically not in San Diego, the city.

concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCeeJae
My favorite sushi restaurant in San Diego is called Kabuki Sushi. If you eat at the sushi bar, you get to be surrounded by the floating boats circling around the sushi bar that carry all different kinds of sushi.

That place sounds great; its going on my list!!

Since you mentioned sushi, do you know of any "conveyor belt" sushi places in SD? I haven't been to one since I lived on Oahu and I miss them!
tong.gif

blackrose

Quote:

smiles.gif

Extraordinary Desserts is amazing! My bf got my birthday cake there and it was delicious!

kaexbabey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrose
Extraordinary Desserts is amazing! My bf got my birthday cake there and it was delicious!

really? what kind of cake was it?
smiles.gif
and belated happy birthday!

MissCeeJae

Quote:
Originally Posted by concertina
That place sounds great; its going on my list!!

Since you mentioned sushi, do you know of any "conveyor belt" sushi places in SD? I haven't been to one since I lived on Oahu and I miss them!
tong.gif

There is a place with the "conveyor belt" called Leucadia Sushi in the city of Encinitas, located about 20 minutes from downtown San Diego. I heard they have good sushi from the reviews I was reading. Anyways, here is the website if you want to refer to it **Welcome To Leucadia Sushi Bar**

*Stargazer*

I second (or third) the Wild Animal Park. I wasn't overly impressed with the Zoo but the Animal Park rocks.

I miss SoCal so much. I think San Diego, on up 5 to about Mission Viejo, is one of the most amazing areas ever.

blackrose

Quote:
really? what kind of cake was it?
smiles.gif
and belated happy birthday!

Thank you! I don't know the name of it but it was extremely chocolatey and decadent!
drools.gif