Want to start doing ppl's makeup (weddings, etc.)... Do I need a license?

Hi!

I've always been good at doing ppl's makeup, and enjoy it a lot.

I was thinking of starting to do wedding makeup as a side job of what I'm doing right now, but I'm not sure if in order to do this I will need a license for this?

If anyone could give me some advice, that would be great, thanks!

tropical_smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaznimpossible
Hi!

I've always been good at doing ppl's makeup, and enjoy it a lot.

I was thinking of starting to do wedding makeup as a side job of what I'm doing right now, but I'm not sure if in order to do this I will need a license for this?

If anyone could give me some advice, that would be great, thanks!

Very good question. I'll love to hear what people have to say to this. Alot of my friends want me to do to their makeup and think I should do it on the side but I never know what I need or how I should advertise to get the word on the street.

erine1881

it depends on what state you live in or would do the makeup in. some states require a license in order to do makeup. check with your state government to see if a cosmo or esthetics license is required.

go to beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/state_req.php
they will provide the contact info for your state licensing agency. check with them to see if a license is required in your state.

martygreene

erine1881 is 100% correct. you might want to check the FAQ on bridal work as well, at the top of the industry discussion main forum, as this does come up a good bit.

Most states require licensure for working on "civilians", but not on those in the entertainment industry "performers/talent". A few states require licensure either way.

The regulations as to what sort of license you need, and what your limitations are, vary state-to-state. Your best bet is to contact your state board and find out from them.

Latest posts