Wanting to go to cosmetology school...but I'm torn

zabbazooey

Thanks everyone for your kind advice. While I'd really like to go to cosmetology school, I have a lot of opportunities staying at my university (I get tuition for next to nothing b/c I work there, plus good pay and benefits) and then maybe go to cosmetology school at a later date.

Thanks again everyone
smiles.gif

BonnieBabe<3

Wow great thread. I'm torn too. I can move up in an office I'm in now, but its sooo boring compared to the makeup field. But theres also the what ifs. What if makeup doesnt work for me & i fail? Or vice versa. I think you should go with what works best for you & your future. Your getting married! Congrats, will you want kids soon? Maybe you should think of how you want to divide your time & which works best there too? Whatever your decision, let us know!!
smiles.gif

Plm5027

This is a good thread, I actually was going through the same thing. I love school but I just didn't want to be there it was actually getting pretty depressing. I always thought about a career in cosmetology ever since I was 16 years old, but I never told my parents because they didn't go to college and they were not trying to here I was not going to school. Well I am currently taking a semester off to really think things through and I decided cosmetology school is not for me. It is my dream to work with celebrities I would love to go to Cali and study makeup one day. I am just going to go back to school and study sociology or marketing. Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

boudoirblonde

My advice would be to try to cut down your work hours, so you can do more school and then get it done quicker.

Whilst you might be getting a good deal, you have to ask yourself, would I rather get a good deal on my fees, or would I rather have to pay a little more and get on track to what I want to do/love doing?

Regarding cosmetology, night classes are great (if you can fit them in!) but I wouldnt suggest throwing all your eggs in the cosmetology basket so soon

christineeee_

i'm in the same boat as you, but i think you should get ur degree and do cosmetology on the side or do it after u graduate. that's what i'm gonna do. i just need to make a lot of money in the summer and save up so i can pay for cosmetology school whenever i decide to go.

violet14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbazooey
I've heard that too, that I am too "smart" to throw it away to cosmetology school. I just believe that not everyone is an academic
smiles.gif

I don't think it would be so bad if I could go to the U full time and crank out school. I really want to go to cosmetology school, but in today's job market, I would feel better going in with some sort of back up. But the benefits at my job (FREE school) are just too good to quit.

Thanks for talking through this with me! My parents and fiance just don't quite understand it...
smiles.gif

I know this is an old thread however I thought I could give some advice!! I went to college for 2years and quit to go to cosmetology school. It was a breeze. I loved it, and the beauty industry rarely slows down therefore you will more than likely ALWAYS be able to find a job. People always think "oh she went to "beauty school" she is dumb and cant possibly make any money!" not true there is alot of information you have to learn. You can also get a job anywhere in the country just by getting your license transfered or taking a test. Also if you are still interested in teaching you could get your cosmo license then get your instructors license to teach all the future cosmetologists in the world!!

M.A.C. head.

You have to do what will make YOU happy and make a decision that is best for how you want to live your life.

I went to college for 3 years and then I quit because I didn't know why I was there. I am now looking into a cosmetology school or a make up artistry school, when I had originally gone to school for teaching, and then for nursing.

I am still interested in pursuing those things, but not right now. Cosmetology is what is in my heart for this time in my life, and I'm going to follow it. I can make a living doing it, I can support my family, I can have a career that I enjoy, so why not?

Life is a roller coaster, hon. You can either get on that motherfucker and put your hands in the air, or you can watch other people have a good time while you stand by the cotton candy stand and watch LOL

Love Always Ivy

thats exactly where i am at. as of december i will have a bachelors in biochemistry and italian studies, and all i keep thinking about is enrolling into Brittany Beauty School!

im afraid to vocalize it aloud because my mom would come through the phone with a fist like "*bam* $160,000 on a biochem degree just to do makeup and hair?"

duddelle

Totally, Ladies. I'm half way through my psychology major and plan to finish my degree. I switched from business administration, because the curriculum was too hard and boring for me having no clue what I want to do after college. The psych curriculum looked the most interesting of all the degrees offered at UCF. Plus, it required general classes for the first two years which also made it the easiest for me to transfer from another major. The job outlook in Psych is slim unless you want a masters (yuck), but who knows if I'll stick with psych after I graduate. I just want to get a BS so this will give me management opportunities. Maybe even management opps in makeup. If I could start over, maybe I would go to NC for that BA in makeup and wigs- how cool is that! My heart goes out to you all. What's life without makeup? Thank you!

BEA2LS

i'm in a very simimlar situatition! I have a good, steady, solid job right now and am about halfway through college. i am so grateful for my job because it's steady and these times aren't. but it kills me to go back to college because the work does not interest me. i love history, for example, but not reading about it in text books. make-up, nails, that never bores me and never, ever did. so i'm also torn :/ i actually turned down a job with clinque last year because it meant missing too much work for the training (it was to be a second job) but that really kills me! it is a regret so i don't know.

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
thats exactly where i am at. as of december i will have a bachelors in biochemistry and italian studies, and all i keep thinking about is enrolling into Brittany Beauty School!

im afraid to vocalize it aloud because my mom would come through the phone with a fist like "*bam* $160,000 on a biochem degree just to do makeup and hair?"

Don't get it twisted... the way the economy is going, you may wanna stick with your biochemistry. Guess what you can always do makeup freelance on the side. I'm a software developer but I have a side hustle.

But .. all sectors of retail are suffering so .. keep that in mind.

Believe me there are many things i enjoy more than sitting at a pc all day writing code, but I have mouths to feed, bills to pay, and a standard of living to maintain.

Be wise girlfriend

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
Don't get it twisted... the way the economy is going, you may wanna stick with your biochemistry. Guess what you can always do makeup freelance on the side. I'm a software developer but I have a side hustle.

But .. all sectors of retail are suffering so .. keep that in mind.

Believe me there are many things i enjoy more than sitting at a pc all day writing code, but I have mouths to feed, bills to pay, and a standard of living to maintain.

Be wise girlfriend

You are right, that's why I am staying where I am for now and trying to find something on the side.

AdlersMommy22

I look at it like this:

I used to date a pro ballplayer who went to college @ Uconn and then got signed with the St. Louis Cardinals. He could have been signed with teams BEFORE college but he knew he'd have to have something to fall back on.

I have always always always told my other pro ballplayer friends this--esp those in the minor leagues...

The SMARTEST thing to do is get a college degree first. Cosmo school is not as long as a 4 year degree and i know a lot of people who go to school on saturdays on the side... once a week- saturdays, for a year. Nice.

If something doesnt work out- you always want a degree to fall back on. Im getting mine in mass communications and according to my professor and the head of the department- I can EASILY go into makeup for movies and television with a mass communications degree and a MU liscense... between workking, school, and my 6 month old however-- its hard to find time to get a liscense. I plan on doing or starting something over the summer.. hopefully.

I also really am trying to get into freelancing.. but i know that I want to have a degree to fall back on.!!!

cuhhpcake

Like everyone else I'm going through the same thing! I'm three classes from finishing up my BA in Literature at San Diego State. I thought I wanted to teach high school lit, but I don't see myself doing that. Right now at least. I've been working at my hotel as a supervisor for a little over year and i have opportunities for advancement in the hotel industry, but I can't see myself doing office work. I thought I did, but in the back of my mind I've been wanting to pursue a career in the makeup industry. It's something I'm passionate about but I feel like I need to develop my makeup skills in order to be successful in the field.

So I'm thinking about moving back home (Ventura County, CA) or to LA or something to go to cosmetology school, but I have a few questions.

1. Would it be worth it to get a Cosmetology license? Do you need it to get a job in the Makeup industry? Or should I just go to school for makeup?

2. Is there some sort of certification or license you get after you finish up a course in Makeup?

3. How tough is it to find a job and be a really successful in the makeup industry?

4. What's the salary like? (honestly money is a big deal for me. Like can I live comfortably being in the industry?)

Can anyone help me? Pleeeeassse. =)

pixichik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddelle
Totally, Ladies. I'm half way through my psychology major and plan to finish my degree. I switched from business administration, because the curriculum was too hard and boring for me having no clue what I want to do after college. The psych curriculum looked the most interesting of all the degrees offered at UCF. Plus, it required general classes for the first two years which also made it the easiest for me to transfer from another major. The job outlook in Psych is slim unless you want a masters (yuck), but who knows if I'll stick with psych after I graduate. I just want to get a BS so this will give me management opportunities. Maybe even management opps in makeup. If I could start over, maybe I would go to NC for that BA in makeup and wigs- how cool is that! My heart goes out to you all. What's life without makeup? Thank you!

NCSA offers a graduate degree in wigs and makeup too.. not just BFA