Wedding Makeup by Mary Kay

Villainiss

I have to agree with a lot of the other posters here - the skin care is fantastic, and their foundations (at least before they were reformulated) were great. I personally used to have really bad skin care habits, and because of their classic line, I was able to pull myself and my skin back together. Their color selection isn't the best, but they have some pretty good basics to start with.

It's funny, 2 friends of mine, from 2 different worlds, became Mary Kay consultants around the same time. One of my friends asked if I'd have a party, and I did, and she had us all give ourselves facials with their products, and apply a simple makeup look; the whole thing went really well, and I was sold. It helped that my friend was a makeup fanatic to start with, but she made a lot of money doing the whole spiel, and I really enjoyed the presentation and was interested in more product. I learned a lot from her, both makeup and skin care related.

The other friend, however, asked her sister to host a party, and I attended - what a nightmare! She didn't have a clue about how to apply makeup as she rarely wore makeup herself - she actually had us applying blush with a cotton ball instead of spending the $$ to buy disposable cheek blushers, using concealer as foundation (she didn't know the difference), and wanted us to use her kit mascara, without using disposable wands. I didn't buy anything (even though I was already familiar with the line), because I simply didn't believe anything she said. It was really a mess.

Your story just reminded me of all that. But seriously, go to the consultation, find out what kind of Mary Kay rep she is; you might learn a lot. Don't feel pressured to buy anything you don't want.

Also remember that if one product out there worked for absolutely everyone, there would be no competitors. Some things work for some people, some things work for others. You have to use what works for YOU!

HTH!

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjunsan
I will be COMPLETELY honest! I am a TOTAL MAC whore! That being said, Mary Kay has reformulated their foundations recently. I always hated Mary Kay, but got roped into one of those parties by my sister-in-law and felt like I had to buy something to help her get whatever it is the hostess gets. Anyway, I bought their new medium coverage foundation and to be completely honest, it is by far the best liquid foundation I have used in years. I prefer mineral or pressed powder foundations (like studio fix), but if I am in the mood for liquid foundation, this is the one I reach for. I can't vouch for the rest of the line since that is all I bought, but I was very pleased with it and would consider looking at the rest of the line if I ever get roped into a party again.

Thank you for reassuring me that I am not insane for loving MKs medium coverage foundation, because I have oily skin and it just works for me, Other than that I prefer lancome teint idol. I do like the nail polish. I would have a hard time letting someone else do my makeup for a wedding or something important.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimptress
First of all, no offense to anyone who loves or sells Mary Kay or whatever... but I just wanted to share a funny story that happened to me today.

My friend and co-worker is getting married and I am one of her bridesmaids. A few weeks ago I offered to do hers and the other girls and my makeup for her wedding, free of cost. Well, she went to a bridal show and put her name in a "Win a Mary Kay Wedding" something thingie. (Everyone wins, it's a scam) and she calls me today and says that on the 25th we're all getting together so the Mary Kay lady can pick out colors that are good for our skin tone.

"I dont have to buy anything, do I?" I said to her.
"um... I guess not"
"Well, I mean, if she picks stuff out for me, I have like 100 shades of eyeshadow I am sure I can replicate the look with my own stuff"

But seriously when I was told I'd have to have a makeup consultation with a mary kay salesperson, I was like
icon_eek.gif
. I am going to end up making the Mary Kay lady feel so stupid at the stupid makeup consultation thing when I talk about how I will wear MAC and only mac and won't buy any of her pore-clogging, gross makeup. And that I'll do my makeup myself, thankyouverymuch.

ssad.gif

What do you think? It just felt so........ wrong.

I really don't blame you. I work at a school where there is an overabundance of MK. I like the foundation as I said earlier. But, I was once sucked in to the cult of pink and it just is not my thing. MK is ok for products but when mac has the greatest eyeshadows and everything else to lower yourself to have a MK person try to do your makeup (maybe she'll be great but why gamble)- would be really uncomfortable for me.

I think I really don't like MK because they push religion and false friendliness on everyone and act like it is the ONLY makeup that anyone could possibly need. i.e. one of the teachers in my building sells it and I was trying to convince her to go mac...then she seen the viva glam line and got all hypocritical about how dare someone support aids research ...I have nothing against people who sell MK just the philosophy and the multilevel marketing.

I think I'd be insulted just because if I offered to do makeup for a friends wedding and then she turned and took up a mk offer when you probably have more skills and a better traincase than the MK lady. I did my friends wedding makeup and touchups later... I would not have been comfortable letting someone else do my face for an important event though.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimptress
hehe thanks betsy. I don't think she's going to have a problem with it. It's not even my friend that I'm worried about. It's the Mary Kay salesperson. I hate when people from other brands ask you what makeup you wear. You tell them MAC, and then they try to tell you some reason why you shouldn't wear it. I don't want to hear that! That makes me look down on THEIR makeup NOT mac
ssad.gif

I have to explain that when you compare Mary Kay to mac, there is not a comparison, I rarely pick up a fashion magazine and see MK makeup credits. I tell the MK people that mac is known and used as a makeup line for fashion shows. That generally ends the discussion pretty quickly. Unfortunately my makeup snobbery outdoes theirs. I think there is a large percentage of the population who are convinced that MK is a high end line and then there are the rest of us who are into dillards/nordstroms/sephora lines. I don't want to tell someone why they shouldn't wear a certain line, mac doesn't have to put down other lines (although putting down aspects of mk is fun)

Kris Jongkindt

That is great that you are going to do the makeup for your friend and the bridal party. More power to you. As a Mary Kay consultant who does weddings I can tell you it is part of our service to do the wedding makeup for the bride and her brides maids. The reason for the consult is to go through and get the skin care and colors down and make sure there are not issues with the brides skin that she would like to stay out of her pictures. Definitely not a scam, yes we will sell you products if you want them but we are not forcing them on you. Who knows if you spend some time with your friends at the party you might have fun, instead of trying to give the girl crap. I know I love to get together with anyone in the makeup business who knows I might learn something. Oh and your friend gets free product if you guys do buy something. Just keep an open mind.
flower.gif