What Am I Doing Wrong With Pigments?

aquagreenbean

This is my first post and I hope someone can help me.

I have just started using MAC products. Previously I had always used NARS of Chanel eyeshadow. I fell in love with some pigments I saw at the MAC counter and wanted to try them. When I apply them in the bathroom under bulb lighting my make-up looks decent. But when I step out into natural light it looks like garbage! I look wrinkled and too sparkly and creased and unblended. It looks awful. I have tired to start applying my eye make-up in front of the window instead of in the bathroom but it always looks bad. The colors I mostly use are Melon, Deckchair, Tan, Pink Mauved and I use loreal decrease as a base.

Any pointers or tips? I look at the FOTD pictures and they look so clean and sharp and my eyes always end up looking like a 90 year old wrinkled melting wax figure. I have an outdoor wedding to attend this weekend and really want to look perfect. Thanks for any tips or help
smiles.gif

Padmita

Maybe you're applying too much? And you should use a base under them so they don't crease. Some pigments are harder to blend than others, but most are rather smooth. What brush are you using to apply them?

Lalli

^^ i agree maybe you're applying to much and not blending enough, always use a good base and a good set of brushes also

BlahWah

I agree with Padmita, you may be applying too much, which is easy to do with pigments. And I don't know how L'oreal Decrease is as a base, but I've had no problem with Urban Decay Potion Primer and have had decent hold with MAC paints. Shadesticks would be another good base to use.

*edit* Just read some reviews on Decrease and it should be work-able with your pigments, but perhaps you're using too much base?
th_dunno.gif
Try out the different combinations (i.e. one time less pigment, another itme less base, another time less pigment and base) and see if any of them work so you don't have to purchase anything else. HTH!

Lalli

try with a few basic colors, dont try and apply to many in one go, and do it slowly and take your time
greengrin.gif
you'll get the hang of it soon enough, dont just use pigments use e/s's and shadesticks etc more variety

aquagreenbean

Thanks for the help. I feel like I am using such a little bit as it is. I am using them dry, should I be applying them wet or with a mixing medium? I have tried using the shadestick (Beijing) as a base and it looks creased also. Maybe I am just getting old and have wrinkled, sagging, elephant skin eyelids.
lol.gif

I use a Sonia Kashuk blending brush. But I get the same effect when I use my MAC 217 brush. I only have one MAC brush so far, and the mini one that came with Y and Kei. I'm cheap
winks.gif

Using shadow and pigment is a good idea, I'll try that.

as_cute_as_pie

invest in a good brush
even better go to the mac counter explain your problem and they'll show you how to do it so you can pick up some real life tips as their doing it!
then hopefully you'll get the hang of it
personally ive never used pigments as they looked really messy but def go to the mac counter explain whats wrong and ask them if they could show you how to
greengrin.gif

hope that helps
smiles.gif

Love_Vodka

You could always try MAC paint in Bare Canvas as a base. I hear that's really good as a base for the eyes. Mine's coming tomorro!!

Make sure you dont put too much on though because it will crease overwise.

Latest posts