What can you tell me about living in California?

SweetCheeks

My husband may be opening a business branch there, so where is a family friendly, safe, nice area to live? Suggestions? Thanks for any and all input.
cheerleader.gif

MsCuppyCakes

Oh boy, depending on what you can afford and what your preferences are: beach, suburban, city, etc. there's lots. I'm a SoCal native and weather, that goes without saying, is great, even when it rains (rarely.)

I live in Pasadena, can be expensive. 210 FWY can get you to any other city quick.

SweetCheeks

Thanks MsCuppyCakes! We would love to be within a reasonable to distance to the beach; we wouldn't mind having a half acre lot or more for the kids and the dogs, if that helps ... and if that is even possible ...

MACATTAK

If you like the "country" type feel, you could move to Norco. People have horses & land. I've never lived there, but I've been there many times, and really like the feel of the whole city. You can make it to a beach in an hour or less. I also love San Diego...to me that has the best weather!

meiming

I agree with MsCuppyCakes. It depends on what part of California your husband is being moved to. It's a big state! Choices of good communities greatly differ in northern cali than so cal and even san diego vs., etc. Narrow it down a bit and I might have some suggestions for you. I live in L.A. though, so I know that area pretty well but not upstate.

MsCuppyCakes

research Santa Monica, Redondo and Hermosa. These are great beach communities with great schools. Can be very pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCheeks
Thanks MsCuppyCakes! We would love to be within a reasonable to distance to the beach; we wouldn't mind having a half acre lot or more for the kids and the dogs, if that helps ... and if that is even possible ...

Bernadette

It's expensive. I'm a San Diego native and have lived in other parts of the country. I am one of the only people that don't love it here. I'm not a beach/sun person and I like weather so...
We do have the most mild weather in the country. People are more open-minded here than in much of the coutnry. San Diegans in particular are rather friendly.
I prefer Northern CA just because I think it's prettier and less manufacutred.

jilliandanica

If you wanna be near the beach, live in a super clean n safe neighborhood then you have to find a spot in Orange County. Irvine (where I live, but I'm from LA) is like the safest city. Good schools and minutes from the beach. Cost of living isn't really that bad down here. Tax is cheaper. Housing may be expensive but that's because everything is so dang clean and neat. You get what you pay for.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
It's expensive. I'm a San Diego native and have lived in other parts of the country. I am one of the only people that don't love it here. I'm not a beach/sun person and I like weather so...
We do have the most mild weather in the country. People are more open-minded here than in much of the coutnry. San Diegans in particular are rather friendly.
I prefer Northern CA just because I think it's prettier and less manufacutred.

I agree! I'm sooooo tired of all the sun, It rained for like.. 2 days here, a week or so ago and I was ridiculously happy about it, when everyone else was complaining. I Lived in Washington for a little bit and I loved it.

Back to topic, It REALLY REALLY REAALLLLLY depends on what part of the state you are planning on moving to, If you want to Live anywhere near the beach (and Im talking a beach you can lay out at and swim in, No.Cal beaches are VERRRY cold year round!) Say 45 minutes or less, you are looking at paying A LOT for that property, Nothing near the beach here, is honestly Less ..600,000 for sure. and finding something in a "near the beach" city in the 600,000 dollar range is a steal! at least here in southern California.

xbeatofangelx

The pollution and traffic in LA sucks a lot. California is very overpriced in terms of housing, especially if you want to live in a big city, e.g. San Francisco or Los Angeles. Areas with good schools are also expensive.

The city I went to highschool in, Cupertino (Close to San Jose) I lived in a TINY (1400) SF 1960's house right next to the railroad tracks. It was worth $850,000. and It's probably worth more now.

It would probably be easier to find a place in a newly developing area.

amoona

Well Northern Cali and Southern Cali are totally different. I live in San Francisco and it is one of the most expensive cities to live in. Alternatives to living in SF are living in the East Bay or the South Bay but that's still super expensive. The weather is ok but for the most part a lot of places here are pretty safe to live, especially in the SF Penninsula but it's still expensive.

Southern Cali is really nice as well, I hope to move down there for my Graduate program in a few years. Weather is great, good shopping too haha. But I'm not so sure what life is like living there though.

lethaldesign

Just as everyone else said, it all depends what part of California you plan to move to. Southern, Central, and Northern California differ greatly. One thing they all have in common though is that its EXPENSIVE. I personally have lived all over Southern California.... from the beach to inland to mountains, from San Diego, to the Inland Empire, to Orange County, to Los Angeles. All parts are different & offer different things, so it just depends on the lifestyle you want & how much you are willing to spend on a home & how much time you are willing to spend in traffic
smiles.gif

SweetCheeks

Thank you everyone! You are a big help. We'd love to stay under a million if possible, but will rent at first to be sure of the area. Is it possible to get yard larger than a postage stamp? Do a lot of the homes have pools as do FL homes, or do people swim in the ocean more in CA? A friend of my husband's raves about Irvine and Laguna Beach, thoughts on Laguna, or any others on Irvine? Orange County is definitely where we need to be. Thanks again!!

MsCuppyCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCheeks
Thank you everyone! You are a big help. We'd love to stay under a million if possible, but will rent at first to be sure of the area. Is it possible to get yard larger than a postage stamp? Do a lot of the homes have pools as do FL homes, or do people swim in the ocean more in CA? A friend of my husband's raves about Irvine and Laguna Beach, thoughts on Laguna, or any others on Irvine? Orange County is definitely where we need to be. Thanks again!!

Under 1M will be difficult, for something nice, in Laguna or Irvine.

SweetCheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCuppyCakes
Under 1M will be difficult, for something nice, in Laguna or Irvine.

Yeah it may be an area we have to live near but not in. We would like a 3+ bedroom, 2+ bath home. We'll rent first though.

xsnowwhite

like the others are saying CA is wayyy expensive. I used to live in OC and dang that place is pricy.

on a better note...california is amazingly fun! they have basically everything!

SweetCheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
Orange County isn't what it seems on the T.V shows.. just so you know.

I'd like to think I am not that naive - LMAO!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Not saying so..

but you would be surprised how many people I meet from out of state who want to go see "Newport" because they Just loved watching "The O.C" !

I'm always like.. your in for a shock...