What do i need to get started??

screamsofkandy

ive never bought MAC makeup before. and im looking to upgrade all my makeup to MAc eventually, but im a bit overwhelmed. i dont know where to begin with purchases.

what would you recommend buying first? or how should i go about what to do??? i only ask this since MAC is expensive and im on a budget

nakobear

I would go to a MAC counter or store and play around with what they have at the stores...maybe you can set up a consultation with an MA at a MAC counter and have them start you off with some basics?

Kristen

It depends on what you need immediately. Say, your foundation/powder isn't the right shade.. I would aim to replace those right away. Otherwise, just go in and ogle and see what leaves you gob-smacked. I was pretty much in the same boat you were, the prices seemed outrageous, but I could tell the quality was a lot better than the d/s cosmetics I had. For me, I got hooked with the teddy eye kohl and beauty marked eyeshadow, and then the obsession grew from there.

Maybe try out the more unique items MAC has to offer first. Fluidlines (especially blacktrack), pigments and their eyeshadows are the most popular items IMO. I remember buying tan pigment as one of my first 'major' purchases. I was able to justify it to myself since I'd be able to use it as an eyeshadow, face highlighter, lip colour or nail colour. Also watch out for the new collections... they're always addictive.

LatinaRose

eyeshadows and pigments are the most fun, but the basics are very important. the new studio fix fluid is awesome and not really that expensive when compared to other high end lines. lipglasses are an easy first purchase, IMO, and the lasting shine is addicting!

Raerae

If you wanna start cheaper... maybe 2-3 shadows that makes a look you like, and the brushes you need to apply it...

Foundation can be expensive, especially if your gonna use studio fix fluid... since you'll need the foundation, a brush to apply it (and there like $45.00) and then the blot powder

fishchick72

I am new to MAC myself, I went a Nordstrom counter (but the MAC stores are also good & have some colors that the department store counters don't have I learned afterward) & played around with some colors. I started out with 7 colors & within two days realized I was lacking 2 very important ones, so I went & got those. Tonight I am going to buy another 10 & as money allows I will fill in my necessities & later on get more colors for fun. Just make sure to get a highlighting color for the brow line (I got ricepaper) & at least a couple of neutral lid colors that will mix well with lots of colors. Then get some colors you like, either colors you wear often or neutral shades like brown that will go with almost anything. I have learned that for each color category I want at least 3 shades (light, medium, & dark) to mix toghether for a good look. If you can get more than 3 even better, but my minimum is 3 I have learned. Once you get started you'll quickly learn what you're missing. I am only doing MAC eyeshadows though.

Bernadette

I would recommend starting off with some mabe one or two fun eyeshadows, one or two neautrals and a highlighter. You can go in and tell the artist that youa re new and want to try some shadows tha tyou can mix and match with each other. I think it is best to buy a 15 pan eyeshadow pallet and the e/s pans. I would also take a look at the brushes and consider purchasing some for your eyes.
Depending on your budget along with some shadows a paint for a base and the 242 brush would be a good idea. Also fluidline and a brush for that
Good luck :thumbsup:

user79

I think the best way to make your make-up look good is to buy the basics:

- Eyeshadow base that can match all colours, so something like a Paint in Untitled or Bare Canvas, or the Beigeing Shadestick

- Foundation (if you wear it) & Powder in your skin tone

- 1 Blush that you like: get either a neutral beige tone, or a nice peach, or a nice pink shade

- Eyeshadows: If you already have a few things you like, there's no need to replace everything right away. Maybe get 2 or 3 e/s that you can wear together, ask the MA to help you pick out something that will match your colourings. You can get 2 e/s that suit a day look, and maybe 1 more dramatic e/s for nighttime, maybe that can be combined with one of the other e/s.

- Lipstick/lipgloss: Maybe 1 lipstick in a more punchy colour, and a neutral colour in a lipglass

- Brushes: To be honest, I don't think you need to buy MAC brushes to get started. I don't have any MAC brushes at all and I am able to work with other brushes I bought at the drugstore. I have a set of L'Oreal brushes I really like, plus I bought a few brushes from other brands that are good.

- Mascara: Don't bother with MAC mascaras, they are all pretty much crap. If you have another brand you like, stick with that.

Latest posts