What have I done wrong/need to improve?

hundove

I've tried to implement what I learned here on my friend's eyes and I really do not like the result.
weeping.gif

I'm posting a close up of her eye.
Any suggestions? What have i done wrong? What needs improvement? what should I have done differently? what should be done to it to make it look neater? I really feel that it is sloppy, especially the teal eyeshadow on the crease...I cannot in my life apply it neatly in the crease.
Any criticism of my application is welcome, because it'll help me
smiles.gif

Thanks.

It's been a while since I did this makeup, so I don't remember exactly, but I think I used:
MAC Amberlights e/s on lid
MAC teal pigment in crease and under lower lashline
MAC white frost pigment under brow
Rimmel eyeshadow glitter pencil (light blue) in inner corners
Some unknown eyeliner & mascara

inlucesco

I think it looks pretty, and here are my suggestions to clean it up:
Teal pigment is REALLY hard to make neat-looking. Try putting on a nude powder underneath the teal to make it easier to blend and shape. Also, q-tips are your friend. You can use them dry or dip them in makeup remover to clean the lines up, then use a brush to soften it.

The eyeliner is a little jerky, just practice some more. Maybe rest your elbow on something if you haven't already. Or draw on a line with a pencil, then trace over it with the liquid.

Also, I think the shape you created with the teal is a bit too over-extended on the left side. It's too high on the left side to work with her eye-shape.

But all that said, you did a great job on applying makeup on someone else - I can't do that myself!

kare31

Some constructive criticism FWIW:

1. It looks very sparkly. You might want to try a matte color in the crease next time to give the appearance of depth. Rather than white frost pigment under the brow, maybe try a more matte shadow like Mylar to soften the edges.

2. What type of brushes did you use to apply amberlights and teal? You might try a stiff brush like the 242 or 252 for a more even application for amberlights, and the 219 for teal for a concentrated crease.

3. For the eyeliner try going over it after application with a pencil brush like the 219 to soften it

4. Try combing through the lashes with an old, clean mascara wand to get off the clumps

HTH a little
smiles.gif

hundove

Thanks, inlucesco, for the great tips!
I also do not like how I did the teal pigment in the end of the eye. It looks sloppy.
Thanks for the praise. If I do makeup on myself, it'll turn out worse b/c I'm seeing with one eye while putting on the makeup on the other eye,lol.

Thanks, kare31, for the comments and tips!
I used regular no brand brushes... I need to buy new brushes, not MAC anytime soon, but maybe SK, since MAC is too expensive for my budget right now.

foxyqt

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlucesco
Also, q-tips are your friend. You can use them dry or dip them in makeup remover to clean the lines up, then use a brush to soften it.

i do that all the time! its a great tip =]

bellaetoile

they make these great q-tip type things that have makeup remover in them. you snap the end off one side, the makeup remover flows to the other end of the tube, and saturates the "cotton" part of it. SO helpful for erasing mistakes and cleaning up the eye area, especially with pigments. they're usually at sav-on, cvs, and other drugstore types for $4 for like 75 of them. i can't live without them. regular q-tips are helpful too.

teal pigment is tricky to work with, but comes out gorgeous. i've been successfull with small, fluffy brushes when working with it, as well as sponge tip applicators, of all things. also, if you're uncomfortable with the blending, start out with something easier, such as teal with a darker blue, or green. colors that are closer to one another can be a good way to get used to blending, without any harsh color transitions.

i think the color combo is gorgeous, but like someone mentioned above, the sparkle looks a little bit much as a highlight. maybe try ricepaper, or shroom, which gives the highlight effect, without the abundance of sparkle. also, maybe try blending a little more towards the outer of the eye, the pic isn't super clear, but it looks like the teal is a little harsh. its a pretty color though, and i definately think you're on the right track. hopefully, all of the replies will help a bit, can't wait to see what you come up with next
smiles.gif

Latest posts