what is the purpose of cutting back on the topics...

allie02044

whats the problem with someone asking a question that was asked 4 pages back? does the site cost more for you guys the more posts there are or something?
th_wink3.gif
just wondering!!

Janice

The cost to run the site is directly related to the bandwidth we use. The more we use, the more it costs. Specktra is completely privately funded at this point and I would like to keep it that way. With the forum and site growing at the pace it is (over 700,000 hits a month) I am not sure if it can stay that way.

We encourage members to search for their question before posting a new thread.

http://specktra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4854

allie02044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
The cost to run the site is directly related to the bandwidth we use. The more we use, the more it costs. Specktra is completely privately funded at this point and I would like to keep it that way. With the forum and site growing at the pace it is (over 700,000 hits a month) I am not sure if it can stay that way.

We encourage members to search for their question before posting a new thread.

http://specktra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4854

so, since im a computer-idiot, bandwidth means.... ???

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie02044
so, since im a computer-idiot, bandwidth means.... ???

Here's a great article that describes bandwitdh:

Click for Article

In short:

Quote:
Like many other terms, the technical definition of bandwidth is somewhat different from its use in reference to web sites and data transfer. For our purposes, and yours, bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be transferred from your web site to the world.

and

Quote:
Let's assume that your home page, the first page served to your visitors, has a file size of 50 KB, 15 KB for the actual HTML page and 35 KB for images included on that page - backgrounds, buttons, logo, photos, etc.. Lets also assume that your site gets 10,000 visitors per month and the average visitor views 3 pages of your site, also 50 KB each.

Based on those numbers, your site would serve: 50 KB x 3 Pages x 10,000 Visitors = 1500000 KB or 1500 MB or 1.5 GB per month.

Let's look at your data transfer based on server load. Assuming this traffic was evenly distributed, your server would be distributing 1.5 GB per month <insert long math equation here> or about 6 KB per second. At this rate your server is barely working. Let's assume that all of you visitors come to your site during the same hour of every day. Even then, the server load during this hour would only be 833 KB per second or less than 1 MB.

Demosthenes

Do you guys accept donations, via paypal or something? I would have no problems contributing. Maybe that could be an option?