Wonder if there will be any tutorials for those of deeper skin tones.

MACaholic76

To be honest, I never ever ever read anywhere on the original posts that it is Specktra's responsibility, nor that it reflects on the site that there are no tutorials for darker skintones. I simply saw it as a request. Did I miss something in the earlier posts????
And yes, I think there is a lot of defensiveness in regards to the issues...its as clear as water.

Shimmer

I'm not sure where the defensiveness lies, but I'll take your word for it.

As has been stated, please, do create or request from skilled members, tutorials for women with dark skin.

Beauty Mark

Maybe this is stupid assumption of mine, but I thought Specktra is predominantly white (by coincidence, not choice or discrimination.) FOTDs are often done on your face and tutorials are often done on your face, too, so if the site consists of mainly white people, all of that is going to be tips and tutorials on white people. A lot of people are more comfortable with doing makeup on what's most familiar to them (we have quite a few makeup artists, but I suspect we have more hobbyists), and their colorings and feautres are going to be that.

I'm not trying to be catty or mean, but maybe there could be a group effort kind of tutorial where you post your picture without makeup or just foundation and someone tells you where to apply this color or that color on your face (the technique [blending, etc.] should be the same or at least similar to the tutorials already posted.) You post the photos at every step in the end.

Me220

I know that I never implied that it's Specktra's responsibility to provide the tutorials. I am fully aware of where they come from and how they are produced. I was just lamenting a lack of women of color in them.

It's like saying, "I don't own a Porsche. It'd be nice if I had one." I am not asking anyone to buy me the car, I'm just saying it'd be nice to have.

And I will repeat, it would be a testament to Specktra, because the women of color would be more active. Specktra IS it's members. The owners and maintainers do not need to do anything to encourage/discourage/ etc, but diversity of beauty will reflect positively on the community and it always a positive in and of itself.

I recognize a bit of defensiveness on my part, but I stated in my last post where it comes from. There's more to this discussion than tutorials: it's a slice of more complicated identity politics.

At this, I'm going to start the tutorial request thread, but I suggest to everyone to think about the other issues at stake here. I know it has triggered a lot of thought in me about my and others responses.

ebonyannette

Quote:

OMG this is gorgeous!!!!
clap.gif

Ok I tried to hold my tongue but...
I personally was offended by the whole "you want one do it yourself" and also the "oh well if its mean" attitude. I dont think its necessary.

People get worked up on Specktra when it has to do with "dark" people for some reason. The fact that we have this section is a miracle because when they first posted it people had a fit. I dont know if its just people trying to be PC or acting like difference in skintone/ethnicity dont exist. To act like they dont and everyone is just peachy and hey change the colors if you dont like it. Of Course we would change the colors! That was never the issue.

What if I want to see Swatches on darker skin tones? that will probably cause an upheaval as well.

Maybe the darker skin tone people on Specktra just dont feel confident enough in their skills yet to post a tutorial, I dont. But I dont need the extra attitude when Im expressing the way I feel about what I would like to see.
I think everyone is trying to be so politically correct that they are making things more of an issue than they need to be. Most people that have problems with it arent of color anyway.

I have always held by the priciple if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. If your not going to be helpful then why put your two cents in, when its neither here nor there?

I love Specktra, its a great community wether dark people post tutorials or not.

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigowaters
God bless you!
clap.gif

Seriously!!! I actually went up to my bathroom to try the same exact look and it came out great! Because of this tutorial I also picked up 2 great items that are now making my whole face "complete"! Amazing!

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACaholic76
Seriously!!! I actually went up to my bathroom to try the same exact look and it came out great! Because of this tutorial I also picked up 2 great items that are now making my whole face "complete"! Amazing!

I know. I put that Select Moisturecover and loose powder in my basket on the MAC site. I will be picking those up as soon as I can.

greeen

As a woman of a chocolate complexion, I'll be working towards contributing to the tips that benefit women that look like me...as well as those who don't. I think we should all put in an extra two cents to help those who have different skin complexions just as you would suggest something for people with different undertones (this works best for pink, this works best for olive, this for yellow.) be a good makeup samaritan
smiles.gif

devin

i had to laugh when i clicked on the link. b/c i was like "oh someone posted a tutorial, let me look!" then I click on it and it was me!
lmao.gif
I'm glad you all liked the tutorial. I posted it a while back. There is another one using green on another makeup forum in the tutorials section and my username is devinjhans. or you can try this link http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/devinj...37;3as,1%3af,0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigowaters
God bless you!
clap.gif

.VivaDiva.

^^ I love your work girl! I've seen many fotd's from you on lj, another makeup site and this site (gosh i feel like a stalker lol) and just wanted to say that i think you are extremely talented.

~VD

luminous

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin
i had to laugh when i clicked on the link. b/c i was like "oh someone posted a tutorial, let me look!" then I click on it and it was me!
lmao.gif
I'm glad you all liked the tutorial. I posted it a while back. There is another one using green on another makeup forum in the tutorials section and my username is devinjhans. or you can try this link http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/devinj...37;3as,1%3af,0

lol OF COURSE. you're amazing with some MAC. im still a teenager so i havent had a chance to experiment alot but everything i've tried, i've gotten from you. I owe you alot.

MAChostage

Quote:
lmao.gif

I, too, appreciate this tut of yours! I actually have all the eye shadows you used (with the exception of Carbon) and I have never used them all together. Thanks to seeing your effort here with them I now have a new combo to try. Great work!

devin

awwww thanks VivaDiva, luminous and MacHostage!! I am so glad you all were able to get something out of it. I know that I really love makeup and I am glad to see that you all love and appreciate it as much as I do.
smiles.gif

Indigowaters

Quote:
lmao.gif

Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this.
greengrin.gif

faifai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
To imply that it's the responsibility of the site, which seems to be the undercurrent of this thread, to create and provide tutorials is incorrect. It's the whims of the members of the site to create the tutorials, and as such, fellow members are the ones to ask.

I totally agree. The tutorial thread has far more requests than actual tutorials done, they're long to set up and photograph and all that. The only reason they don't have enough tutorials on [insert look/skin color/eye shape/etc. here] is because the users themselves haven't posted them. If you see a need for something, you may end up having to fufill that need yourself (and if we were out in the "real world" and it was a product or a service, you could be makin some $$$ too! yay for economics). Look at Iman and her cosmetics line--genius!

However, that doesn't mean you can't use the tutorials already listed. There are plenty with people who do have darker skintones, even if they're not as dark as your own--I made one myself for people with Southeast Asian skintones, Henna_Spirit does ones on girls of all sorts of ethnicities, OliveButtercup did ones on herself, HyperRealGurl's done some.

I do agree with Lara in that just because a tutorial isn't of a person exactly like you, there's no reason to not use it. Trying out new things is what makes makeup fun.

ebonyannette

I posted my attempt at a tutorial but its nothing compared to Ms.Devin You are awesome girl we need some more from you!!!!

devin

you do a beautiful job! Thank you and so are you!
thmbup.gif
smiles.gif
I will try to do more when I get some more time off. I have been working a lot lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
I posted my attempt at a tutorial but its nothing compared to Ms.Devin You are awesome girl we need some more from you!!!!

Kisbee

If people with darker skintones aren't posting tutorials (due to lack of time, equipment, etc), what about having people post photos they find inspirational of celebrities/advertising etc of the sort of thing they like and have specktra members suggest the colours that they think are equivalent to those used in the photo?

Then there's something to get the ball rolling as it were and it might inspire people to post their own tutorials?

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisbee
If people with darker skintones aren't posting tutorials (due to lack of time, equipment, etc), what about having people post photos they find inspirational of celebrities/advertising etc of the sort of thing they like and have specktra members suggest the colours that they think are equivalent to those used in the photo?

Then there's something to get the ball rolling as it were and it might inspire people to post their own tutorials?

that would fall under the Tut request section....

Also there is a Sticky in this thread for tut request

Latest posts