"work friendly" makeup (ugh)

crystalpenguin13

So i work for a certain upscale lingerie company (yes, THAT one), and we just got a new store manager who tells me my makeup isn't "professional" enough, that i need to do something more natural (she suggested going for a makeover at clinique *shudder*). i should add that while i'm definitely partial to bright colors-greens, teals, and purples-i make a substantial effort not to look hooker-like, which is kind of hard anyway when you're wearing a jacket with shoulder pads. plus, i wear glasses, which makes it that much harder to even tell i'm wearing eye makeup.

so my question is, what are some nice, natural eye looks i can do without offending my mildly facist boss?

Shawna

Well, for a look that needs to be somewhat natural, but still kind of fun, I use provence, fairylite, vanilla, or pink opal pigment as a wash, and then pick out a fun colour of fluidline for lining with. That way, the makeup isn't too obvious, but the colour is still there a bit. Yesterday I did provence wet with sweet sage fluidline (dinner at in-laws) Stupid manager, she's probably just jealous of your skills.

YOOTOPiA

aww that sucks... i feel for you though, i work in a industry with a bunch of old men, so i cant wear any bright colors as they dont take me seriously enough cause im a young chick.
anyhoo, i like goldenaire as wash with coppering on the outer v with whatever you like to highlight. its soft and pretty neutral but with some color.
or i like vapour (or any similar shadow) as a wash and quarry or haux as a midtone with something like blackberry in the outer v.

MACmermaid

ugh, sorry...that sucks. what an annoying manager! LOL at "she suggested going for a makeover at clinique *shudder*". she has some nerve. i agree, she's probably just jealous of your skills! i bet her makeup, if she wears any, is boring.
smiles.gif

anyway, since i hate wearing matte, neutral makeup and i have to wear tame makeup to work, my solution is to do shimmery neutrals. that way, it's neutral, yet i still feel like i'm actually wearing make-up. my 2 most-worn combos are: 1) bronze on the lid + a little shroom in the very inner corner and inner v, and 2) all that glitters (love this!) on the lid w/ something like mulch on the outer 1/3 of the lid.
oh and i just thought of a third - vex on the lid, blackberry in crease, phloof to highlight. i do this w/ just black liner on top, or for a little more color it also looks good w/ a brighter liner too, like waveline fluidline.

Raerae

Yeh i like shimmery neutrals when I can't use color for whatever reason.

Tans, pale pinks, light blues etc.

Or even sheer colors, so you have the hint of color, but not tht obvious.

Or just brushing a sheer sparkle over a matte color.

I really get annoyed with the whole, "color isn't professional" opinion that's fixed in certain people's minds... Yay for a bland world... Bleh...

Cyn

You could always go for the no-makeup look, which is usually is heavier than wearing colorful makeup, that would be a big f-u to her. *g*

My no-makeup look has a heavier foundation, highlighter, blush, concealer, fake lashes, inner rim liner, nylon as a highlighter, cork in the crease, stubborn brown p/p, ricepaper as a wash, that sort of thing.

And here's another thought, maybe it isn't your e/s, could it be your lipstick or blush that is putting her off? Some people are scared of colorful lips or cheeks and that would be more noticeable than your eyes behind glasses. If so, wouldn't that be awesome cause then you can wear a YLBB lipstick and still keep your eyes the same.

crystalpenguin13

thanks, ya'll (can't we tell i'm in the south)!
unfortunately, it's definitely the eye makeup she's so opposed to. she made it a point to use HER'S as an example. her's, of course, consisted of NOTHING BUT EYELINER. "see how i extend it out in kind of a cat's eye? (it had NO POINT!) kind of like eyelashes; maybe you could try something like that! i'm telling you, go to clinique..."
icon_eek.gif

joytheobscure

I definately would go for that "no makeup" look as suggested - and shimmery neutrals, I can make my neutrals look wilder than my colors and pull it off better. I Love hunger red blush creme - shimpagne MSF- bronzers...

If you want to be a good girl with those looks, wear Patina or omega and blacktrack fluidline with a glossy red lipglass like Venetian (that is the red lustreglass right?) - I'd do red lips.

Hmmm... I think your boss is jealous. <g>

d_flawless

why not just apply it differently? do a bright eyelid color but use something neutral in the crease, to keep it "professional"...your manager can't really tell u that u can't do your make up a certain way, ask a higher up to prove her wrong (my own manager told me this since i wanted to make sure before wearing a rainbow eye and then gettin sent home or something and she said that it's not like the company can actually say "no" since you're not representing the company badly by wearing make up in a way she personally doesn't prefer)...sounds like she's just being biased, but check it out like i said, with a higher up, and see

Rowan

Another look you could try for your eyes is Yogurt all over w/Trax in crease, Blackberry softly in outer "v", & Prunella kohl.

Latest posts