Working w/ velvets? Please help!

BlahWah

They seem so workable at first, but I've gotten used to the frosts and veluxe pearls from the recent collections which blend easily or apply sheer enough to allow for mistakes and building. When I work with velvets, either the pigmentation or the powdery look of the velvets - or both - get me in trouble while applying.

A MA suggested today to NOT use the 217 but the 242 and pat it on... I don't have that so I'm using the 213 (mini from the e/s palette) with my Pompous Blue. I don't like patting it on all the time b/c I can't get it neat enough... do you have any tricks to apply it more sheer, or how to "pat" on neater, other than being careful? *lol* Right now, all I'm doing is using it as a liner with Shimmerline g/l on top, which is pretty but I'd like to do more with it!

Thanks for all your help!

lvgz

velvets are a bit hard to work with bc they come on unevenly at times. what i do is i put [pompous blue for example] on my lid, no blending etc. just fill it up and make sure it ends neatly with a clean cut line. i dont do this with any other textures bc when you apply those other textures, they blend great and evely. well with velvets, after you apply and end with a clean cut line, you blend. oh and to get the line, i usually use a q tip. so then you blend blend blend, and it usually comes out evenly just bc you applied it evenly in the first place.

oh and btw, i LOVE pompous blue. i purchased two. i am in love

SChotgurrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgz

Me, too!!! It actually comes out a deep blue/green colour on me and I paired it with Creme de violet (put C de V in crease and blended into Vex on browbone) and it's gooooorgeous!!
lol.gif

lvgz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChotgurrl
Me, too!!! It actually comes out a deep blue/green colour on me and I paired it with Creme de violet (put C de V in crease and blended into Vex on browbone) and it's gooooorgeous!!
lol.gif

i'll have to try that! honestly, ive only worn it once bc im the kinda girl that HAS to change up my colors everyday. HAHAH but when i wore it, i paired it with peacocked e/l and vex also. honestly, the teal shade itself rocked my tanned asian skin and dark brown eyes!

Lady_MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChotgurrl
lol.gif

Could you please post an FOTD with that on?
smiles.gif

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgz
velvets are a bit hard to work with bc they come on unevenly at times. what i do is i put [pompous blue for example] on my lid, no blending etc. just fill it up and make sure it ends neatly with a clean cut line. i dont do this with any other textures bc when you apply those other textures, they blend great and evely. well with velvets, after you apply and end with a clean cut line, you blend. oh and to get the line, i usually use a q tip. so then you blend blend blend, and it usually comes out evenly just bc you applied it evenly in the first place.

Thanks lvgz! So I guess there really is no way except to be really careful? I don't like using the q-tip to clean up too much b/c then I have to reapply my base, which sometimes smears what I've just applied, and it gets messier than when I started!

Btw, what brush do you use to apply? And is this with Pompous Blue as your main lid colour with not many other colours used? I like having two colours going on, one on the inner half of my lid and another on the outer, then I do my subtle crease-work, etc.

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I would probably use my 239 or 242, which is not a fav, to apply them.

I have a 239... that could probably work.. and I guess the 219 for more detailed work? I'm afraid of making huge splotches w/ the 239! :p

neeshie

i use the 228 - its a tiny tiny brush that lets me be more in control. I love using it with darker colours.

Cruella

When I have a shadow that is hard to apply/hard to blend, I try using a sponge applicator. For whatever reason, it is easier to do and then I use my brush to blend some more.

BlahWah

Wow, that 228 does look like a good one to have for the velvets... in the mean time I'll try the sponge applicator. I've never been good with those though! - but that's before I found Specktra. =D

lightsinsorrow

I use the 213 to apply/pack all my shadows. Make sure you start with a REALLY good base. Cream colour bases and Shadesticks work very well with velvet shadows since they "grab" the color better and help the powder adhere to your skin. If brushes aren't working for you, use a sponge time applicator. Don't worry if it isn't precise or if the lines are harsh. You can always blend later, and when you do, use the 217 to buff out the color at the edges.

Latest posts