Yey we are homeowners! Suggestions for paint please, PICS inside

laguayaca

I am planning on making the theme for our bedroom red, I also wanted red for our kitchen but the rest of the house I am clueless I want a colorful house and the red kitchen theme I think wont happen my layout is a bit open so I think the Kitchen, dinning room and living room will all have to coordinate correct me if I am wrong thanks!

P.S. I love having Specktra its like having all these extra sisters you can ask advice to!

Heres what it looks like when you walk in its a split level home:
971119.JPG

kitchen is to the left
971123.JPG

Dining room
971121.JPG

Picture taken from Dinning room into living room
971120.JPG

Picture from dinning room to kitchen
971122.JPG

Another of living/ dinning room with blinds
971137.JPG

Heres on of the bed room its a light baby blue but I am planning on painting the wall with the sliding door white and the wall adjacent to it aswell and the back wall and its adjacent red, dark red and putting black frames with black and white picture of us. theme red, black and white what do you think?
971136.JPG

Our new home TADA!
971135.JPG

thanks i appreciate any help and suggestion

Shimmer

That's really cute.

If you're wanting ideas for paint, I would suggest looking at some of the premade palettes you can see like at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and then find one you really like, then tailor it to your tastes.
smiles.gif

That's what I did, now I have a red hallway.
smiles.gif

benzito_714

congratulations-homeownership is a serious accomplishment. as for paint colors choose the mood/theme you want for each room and then decide. for example, if you want to come home to a bedroom that is warm and inviting a deep red and complimenting neutrals may be up your alley. take your time and have fun.

MACa6325xi

Congratulations on your new home. It is beautiful. I have no paint suggestions, but I would just go to Home Depot or Lowes.

laguayaca

I think I will do that then perhaps once I narrow down swatches I will post the swatch and see what yall think

janelle

Congrats!!!! I live in Hampton and I am having a hard time finding the house that I just love. It's great that you found yours... Have fun decorating!

purrtykitty

I love paint! I took a couple of summers and did the whole interior of my house...by myself, no less. Definitely go to Home Depot or Lowes and just start grabbing samples, hey they're free! The premade booklets are great for getting ideas, too. Once you start making color choices, tape the samples up to the the walls you want and then narrow down the colors. And be sure to watch as much HGTV (Home & Garden) - I get lots of "ideas" from that channel, lol!
greengrin.gif

rbella

I'm a Realtor so my congratulations is also selfish!!! Thanks for keeping the market alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful house. Suggestion-if you will be living there while you are painting, now there is a line of paints that do not smell. They will give you a huge sample box of colors to take home and put up against your wall.

If you are planning on re-selling within the next couple years, I would stay away from strong colors and stick with neutrals. If you're going to be living there for quite some time, then have a ball!!!!
smiles.gif

Keep in mind what the flow of the house is and stand at the front door to see what rooms you can see all at the same time. For instance, it would look weird to have a red room, purple room and khaki room all within the same viewing area.

Also, remember the ceiling and trim. If you are painting something a bold color, having a shock white ceiling and trim may make it look kind of weird. And if you are going to do the one room in red and black and white, be sure it gets lots of natural light. Otherwise it will look dark and can make the room look significantly smaller.

If you have a chair rail or wainscoting, it is always nice to do a bold color on the bottom and muted, neutral on top.

You might also benefit from visiting open houses around the area and see what those homes have done paint-wise. Sometimes the Realtor or owner (whoever is hosting the open house) will even be able to give you the names of the paint.

Sorry for inserting so much of my opinion but I love homes and am excited for you!!!

Good luck and Congrats on your beautiful new home!!!!!

laguayaca

thanks so much for all your wonderful suggetions, actually my new home is in martinsburg, wv...new life new state im so nervous...but so excited!

AudreyNicole

What a great house! I have lots of red in my house, but in small doses. It is a strong color, and can really close in a room if you aren't careful, especially with the hardwood being stained dark. That being said, I LOVE red walls! Since your floorplan is so open and you have so many spaces that need to coordinate, I would probably do red accent walls and a neutral color (like a pale tan) on the rest of the walls. Accent with red in places like curtains and dining room table linens. I would paint your dining room wall (the one with all the windows) red and the kitchen red (all the walls that have cabinets and the refrigerator wall). Even if you paint the other walls neutral, you can still go with a black/white/red theme. We have an open floor plan at my house too, and painted the kitchen a darker red with one wall in the ajoining family room the same red to tie the two together. We used a neutral color called "Paper Bag" on the rest of the walls, and it looks very nice if I do say so myself
smiles.gif
I agree with watching HGTV and loading up on paint samples. Some places also sell actual paint samples, enough to paint a 2'x2' square on the walls to see if you like it. About the trim, we have bright white on all the trim, crown moulding and doors in the house, and I love the contrast. It makes everything looks clean and streamlined
smiles.gif
Oh, and a word of advice about red paint. Save yourself time, effort and money. Be sure to paint the walls you are painting red with a GREY primer first. With the primer, it will take 2 coats of red as opposed to 4 without the primer. We learned the hardway with our master bath. It took us 4+ gallons to paint a BATHROOM! We learned really quick that primer is absolutely necessary with red paint.

Willa

Great house!
Congrats
smiles.gif

The best advice I could give you is to go through (sp) FlickR
I just bought a condo and most of my inspiration comes from there and from apartment therapy.

Also, I love saucy dwellings on Live Journal.
Take a look at peoples profiles and sometimes you can see if they have a flickr account and then you can see many pictures.

Apartment Therapy
Apartment Therapy - Smallest Coolest Apartment Contest - 2007 (take a look a the entries, LOADS of pictures)
Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing
SaucyDwellings

persephonewillo

CONGRATULATIONS!!

my suggestion on the painting is to just let it happen "naturally". lol. i know, sounds silly.

that's how i did our last place. i started with the living room. i knew i wanted something to compliment the sofas, so i went with an avocado-ish green (which i later painted over to black... and then to yellow). and a few weeks later the inspiration for the kitchen/dining room came... purple! (a dusty-ish purple... it was definitely purple, but not overly intense). and then the hallway followed... yellow, which i carried into the kitchen
greengrin.gif

i have modern-ish furniture, so the colours worked well. the dining room chairs are each a different colour, so the purple in the kitchen made it all "pop" without turning it into a kindergarten delight. lol.

another suggestion is to just start off with a colour you really like and build from there! if you've always wanted a red room, for example, go for it and then work the colours in the other rooms around it
greengrin.gif

here are a couple of photos. maybe they'll inspire you. or make you go "ewwww!" LOL. either way... they might help you get some ideas.

kitchen2.jpg

kitchen1.jpg

hallway.jpg

livingroom1.jpg

laguayaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
Great house!
Congrats
smiles.gif

The best advice I could give you is to go through (sp) FlickR
I just bought a condo and most of my inspiration comes from there and from apartment therapy.

Also, I love saucy dwellings on Live Journal.
Take a look at peoples profiles and sometimes you can see if they have a flickr account and then you can see many pictures.

Apartment Therapy
Apartment Therapy - Smallest Coolest Apartment Contest - 2007 (take a look a the entries, LOADS of pictures)
Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing
SaucyDwellings

this was real helpful

captodometer

Congrats on the new house
yahoo.gif
I love your hardwoods. Second the suggestion that you go to Lowe's. They sell the American Tradition line of paints: reasonably priced and excellent quality. You can also buy a CD rom that has all the paint colors loaded: you can upload pics of the area you want to paint and try the color combos of your choice. It's only like $15. It's how I decided what color to paint my basement.

972824.JPG

972823.JPG

972822.JPG

Matching colors is hard. I bought the carpet, and I knew I wanted an orange room. But 350 sf of orange was probably a bit much, even for me
tong.gif
Since the room is oddly shaped and the largest area is an addition, I split it and painted it two colors. I needed another color that went with both orange and the carpet, not to mention the couch and the ceiling beams. I would have been lost without that CD.

Forgot the name of the beige/tan color, but it came from Lowe's and was on the CD. The orange is American Tradition Roman Orange from Lowe's. The trim is Kilz Bright White base, from WalMart.

Have fun decorating. Half the fun of owning a house is the fact that you can paint it any color you want to!