190 vs 187 vs sponge/wedges!

Doowop

I am using the 190 for my liquid foundation but I'm not pleased with it! It tugs on my skin way too much for my comfort and I have to really work the product into my skin. It still leaves patchy areas and streaks which I have to blend out using my fingers.

I read a lot about the 187 giving an airbrushed, flaweless look, but is it possible to use the 187 to build up a full coverage?

I also see some women using the sponge wedge wet to apply their LF. It looks fun, when I see girls applying concealer using the wedges and their undereye looks flawless and they make it look so effortless. Can this be transferred to LF? Plus the sharp end of the wege can be used under the wings of the nose and stuff, which the 187 can't reach.

leenybeeny

I have the 190 and don't like it for foundation at all for the same reasons you listed. If you are looking for full coverage, you can definitely get that with sponges very easily, however I find with liquid, you lose a lot of product as it just gets soaked up. I also find sometimes I end up with *too* much on my face.

I use the 187 and I love it because you can build coverage and there is a lot of control. I put a little liquid on the brush, apply it, and then apply more where needed. I use circular strokes and get a really nice even finish. I don't have any issues with being able to get into the areas beside my nose etc. For under my eyes, I like to use my fingers on myself and use wedges when doing someone else's makeup... because I do want fuller coverage there.

iadoremac

tried the 187 instead of the 190 for my foundation and i swear i would never use the 190 again for liquid. i think the 190 is more appropriate for cream foundation

pdtb050606

I have tried all the options you listed but for me the 109 is the best--it's small so I just dot it on and then buff it in and it is honestly the best looking finish I have ever gotten with liquid, hth

caffn8me

Using wedges gets expensive fast. Wedges are cheap but they soak up way too much liquid foundation and you'll end up using so much more than you do with a brush. Wedges are good for foundations like Full Coverage or Studio Tech.

MissAlphaKitty

^^^ I agree. Any brush is going to be better than losing your precious product to a sponge

Lately my brush love is for MUFE #35N & #25N... the synthetic bristles are so dense and slick so all the product goes where it should... on your face

ohnna-lee

I used to use the Beauty Blender and although I love the finish it gives I started using my 188 and found it uses so much less product.

What I am going to start doing is use the fingers to place the foundation all over then work it in with the 188 (which I will probably be buying the bigger version, the 187) and then finishing it quickly with the BBS to give that airbrushed finish. My skin has been a bit dry and flakey lately so that might be the issue in not getting the finish that I got a couple days earlier.

ohnna-lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Using wedges gets expensive fast. Wedges are cheap but they soak up way too much liquid foundation and you'll end up using so much more than you do with a brush. Wedges are good for foundations like Full Coverage or Studio Tech.

The Beauty Blender sponge is washable and reusable but it does tend to suck up so much product.

kariii

I second 109 or the the new 165 to for LF and then 187 or 188 to buff in, you will look flawless.

165 is my new boyfriend, I occasionally cheat on it with the 109 but 190 is definitely my ex boyfriend. I hate him
ssad.gif

MacAtFirstSight

i use 190 if i want more coverage.
i use 187 for a light finish.
smiles.gif

and sponge/wedges are used only when I don't have my brush with me.
smiles.gif

ladyv

I've tried all- 190, 187, beauty blender dupe from Target (Sonia Kashuk) and regular foundation sponges. For the liquids, I like 187 the best. I didn't see anything special about Beauty Blender sponges, 190 is just like what you said, but 187 blends beautifully, is really quick. For building more coverage, I keep more product and blend blend, for the spot areas, I use concealers anyways...so i'm very happy with 187. This is my favoirte method for liquid foundations

Doowop

thanks guys!

I read that wetting sponges/wedges help in preventing the soaking of liquid foundation, so it doesn't help still?

I will check out the 109 and the new LF brush, and then make a decision! thanks for the input
yes.gif

ancilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1908
Hmm...I'm trying to decide between the 187 and the 109 for liquid foundation and MSF purposes...

I like the 187 for both of those purposes. I wound up buying a separate 187 for each, because I like to keep liquids and powders separate. (Even after cleaning the brushes, you can tell I have a beige brush and a pink brush.) I had the same face tugging problem with the 190 brush.

I was always intimidated by liquid foundation until I applied it with the 187. I just pour a bit of foundation on the back of my hand (or in a tiny tub if I have one handy) and swirl the tips of the bristles in that, then start dabbing and swirling away. It is basically fool proof
smiles.gif
I still only do liquid for special occasions, but at least now I am not afraid of it looking cakey or weird anymore.

As for whether it can be used to build up coverage, sure, but I also think that depends upon the particular foundation you pick to use with it!

MzzRach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdtb050606
I have tried all the options you listed but for me the 109 is the best--it's small so I just dot it on and then buff it in and it is honestly the best looking finish I have ever gotten with liquid, hth

I agree - the 109 is AMAZING for liquid foundation.

I also like the 187, although I normally use this for powder products.

Curly1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancilla
I like the 187 for both of those purposes. I wound up buying a separate 187 for each, because I like to keep liquids and powders separate. (Even after cleaning the brushes, you can tell I have a beige brush and a pink brush.) I had the same face tugging problem with the 190 brush.

I was always intimidated by liquid foundation until I applied it with the 187. I just pour a bit of foundation on the back of my hand (or in a tiny tub if I have one handy) and swirl the tips of the bristles in that, then start dabbing and swirling away. It is basically fool proof
smiles.gif
I still only do liquid for special occasions, but at least now I am not afraid of it looking cakey or weird anymore.

As for whether it can be used to build up coverage, sure, but I also think that depends upon the particular foundation you pick to use with it!

I wear MAC's Studio Fix Fluid foundation.

BloopBloop

i made the mistake of choosing sponges over brushes because i thought it gave me a "lighter" coverage- BIG mistake, all that did was soak up all the foundation and "lightly" ended up on my face.

I bought the 190 and thought it smeared on too much, i dont need a lot of foundation on my face, just to even everything out. the brush is hard to work with-- i think.

the 187 is my choice for foundation. its easy to work with, you get that "airbrush" look, and you get across more surface area

Doowop

I think I'm gonna get the 187! There are overwhelming responses from here and MUA on that brush, guess I got to try it to know!

anshu7

187 gives a sheer coverage but u can layer the fdtn on for added coverage.

I saw a video on you tube where a girl used EverydayMinerals Flat head foundation to apply mac studio fix fluid wit fabulous results. It gives heavier coverage that 187 so I think this may be an answer to all ur problems!