2013 Highs and Lows

katred

Specktra Bestie
All right... Now that we've seen what all the different companies have come out with over the course of the year, what were your high points and low points? Here are some questions, but feel free to add your own thoughts/ comments/ questions as well!

What brand had the best year overall?
What brand had a weaker year?
What was your favourite new product of the year?
What product disappointed you?
What were your favourite new shades of lipstick, eye shadow and blush?

I'm thinking about my answers, but I'd love to see what you ladies (and gents!) think!

sagehen

MAC Punk Couture was my favorite new lipstick...that jumps to my mind. It is a color I have been waiting a long time for.

Haven

A major product fail for me this past year was Chanel's eyeshadow stylos from the summer collection. Such as waste of money. Definitely a disappointing product.

A major plus was the release of crème blushes by Chanel and Dior. Love them all.

shellygrrl

Staff member
What brand had the best year overall? Probably Hourglass with the launch of the Ambient Lighting powders. What was your favourite new product of the year? I think it actually came out in 2012, but it was new to me so I'm counting it. ;) Becca Radiant Skin Satin Finish foundation. What product disappointed you? Diorshow mascara. I don't think I could loathe a mascara as much as I do that one. What were your favourite new shades of lipstick, eye shadow and blush? Lipstick ~ MAC Instigator + Feed the Senses

Miss QQ

I agree, the chanel eyeshadow stylos was a fail. I got Blue Lagoon and it creases badly. I had another such eyeshadow pen stick from Etude House (drug store) which creases badly too, but at least it didn't cost that much. Since this is the year I got into Asia brands, I shall include them. Fav new product is Dior Addict Extreme lipstick. Not sure if its new but to me it is. Fav lipstick is Guerlain Madam Reve. And Nars Schiap, which I only discovered this year. Another fav is Suqqu bright up lipstick Barairo. Fav eyeshadow is Guerlain Crazy Paris. Fav blush is Dior Rosy Glow which is not released this year. Best discovery this year is brow gel. I got the new Nars one and will try more brow gels next year! I have more discoveries but they are Japanese and Korean brands.

SleepingBeauty

Some things by MAC I really liked (mostly permanent items because unfortunately I missed out on quite a few collections) and my best buy this year definitely was the eyeshadow Gri Gri from Chanel's Superstition. I just love, love, love, love that eyeshadow! I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on it. Wouldn't want to miss it.
heart.gif
It looks great with Satin Taupe in the crease and some smoked black eyeliner around the eye.
My favourite lipstick must have been Haute Altitude, at least according to how it looks in the tube. It's almost down to 1 centimeter. But I also love Bad Girl RiRi even though it was a pain in the ass to get it. And Syrup, my second most used lipstick this year.
Favourite blush - mhh, I rediscovered my love for Gentle and I also fell in love with Dame. Hibiscus Kiss from Rihanna's fall collection is a go to for everyday contouring.

charlotte366

What brand had the best year overall? Toss up between NARS and Hourglass What brand had a weaker year? MAC - I bought very little all year What was your favourite new product of the year? It is a tie between Hourglass Ambient powders and YSL Youth Liberator Foundation What product disappointed you? YSL Glossy Stain - very drying on me What were your favourite new shades of lipstick, eye shadow and blush? That is really hard! I am going on new to me rather than necessarily 2013 new releases: Lipstick Guerlain Rouge G in Madame Flirte Eyeshadow: - Laura Mercier Topaz Blush: Nars DayDream