All Amplified Crème Lipsticks in old style packaging are counterfeit

caffn8me

I've just sent an email to customer services at makeup.com advising them that they are selling counterfeit products. I've sent them a link to the thread above but have done it in such a way that I'll know if they have actually visited it (I've directed them via one of my own web servers first)

caffn8me

Just an update, there are now fake "Amplified Crème Lipsticks" in old style (flat top) tubes in Ruby Woo and Meltdown as well as Bronze Shimmer.

The Meltdown fakes are greatly improved over the earlier Bronze Shimmer fakes and are more difficult to spot on photographs as the packaging is much more like the genuine old style lipsticks. Old style lipsticks which were produced up until about 1998 had a flat end to the top rather that the current bullet end.

Meltdown is a Frost lipstick and Ruby Woo is Matte so that should alert you that something is wrong.

I've obtained one of the Meltdown fakes and I'll try to get some good photos soon.

Devil Bunny

Is there some way to tell a fake old-style lipstick from an authentic one? I got my CB96 on Ebay and I am worried it's fake. (I still have the box, but not with me.)

caffn8me

The fake lipsticks don't have the M·A·C logo around the middle of the tube printed directly onto it. It's a sticker. There are also differences in the tube diameter and length. I would very much doubt that CB96 is fake.

caffn8me

Here we go, pictures of fakes versus real lipsticks in "old style packaging"

• A is genuine - it's Viva Glam II from 1997
  • B is a fake Meltdown
  • C is a fake Bronze shimmer
Points to note are that both the fakes are shorter and wider. The Bronze Shimmer top has a rounded edge to it whereas the newer Meltdown and Ruby Woo fakes have a more correct top. From just a photograph it is extremely difficult to tell whether the case is fake on the Meltdown one.

The second picture shows the labels on the base. At the time old style lipstick cases were in use, the three character batch code system hadn't yet been introduced and A92 represents the first batch of September 2002 - long after the old style lipstick cases had stopped being produced. The batch code on the Viva Glam II is 7C101.

The third picture shows the colour consistency of the product itself. It's very poorly blended in both the Bronze Shimmer and Meltdown. I suspect there's some contaminant stuck inside the meltdown lipstick. It's the spidery mark towards the bottom. I've not gone fishing yet! Neither of these lipsticks has been used - this is the state they arrived in new.

julie150463

Wow - That's brilliant! I've got some of the Bronze Shimmer A92 lipsticks - near identical- right down to the little 'bobble of lipstick' on the top - guess where they're going - straight in the bin!
Cheers
Julie

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
Wow - That's brilliant! I've got some of the Bronze Shimmer A92 lipsticks - near identical- right down to the little 'bobble of lipstick' on the top - guess where they're going - straight in the bin!
Cheers
Julie

I just looked at your little mood icon and see that you are shocked...lol...I'm not surprised!
winks.gif
I think a lot of us have bought fakes at one point in time, me included, theres always something new to learn here!