Almost scared to post..starting at Dillards

DivaINC

Hi everyone...I am scared to post. First off I am glad I found this board..you are all amazing...but I am scared how I have read Dillards treats their employees. So let me start off by saying I am only doing this for Holiday money as I run my own company (bath product line) but sales have been in the toliet..so this will be like only 15-25 hours a week for me. Ok so I got hired today for Fragrance..which I am a wiz at ...seriously I help more men at the counter when I am buying then the girls/ladies behind the counter. Anywho....my friend worked at it used to be Robinsons' May and she got tons of product samples...tons...and brought me home stuff all the time. If I am in Fragrance...can I bring home samples as well? Or is that a big no no? Thanks you guys for all the feedback..this is supposely a brand new store that is going to be a flagship. I know ..no one throw stones at me for working at Dillards.
smiles.gif

TISH1124

Why would people throw stones at you for working at Dillards? I love Dillard's! I think the question you are asking is entirely up to the manager that you work for. I would not take any samples without asking them if it is okay first. They probably will not mind..But at least ask just to cover yourself so they don't think you are stealing or sneaking things out of the store without prior authorization. Congrats on the new job!!

DivaINC

Thank you!!! No I would definately NEVER take anything without direct approval. My overall goal is to kick butt ( I could sell product till the moon fell) and then maybe go to counter manager for EL. They sound like a fab company. Of course my ULTIMATE goal is to have my line on QVC but I have sank a lot of money into my business so I have to work a little to get some X mas dough for the little ones. I just remember Jeanine coming home and is like oh I got you a sample of face wash, or here is a tester of perfume etc.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaINC
Thank you!!! No I would definately NEVER take anything without direct approval. My overall goal is to kick butt ( I could sell product till the moon fell) and then maybe go to counter manager for EL. They sound like a fab company. Of course my ULTIMATE goal is to have my line on QVC but I have sank a lot of money into my business so I have to work a little to get some X mas dough for the little ones. I just remember Jeanine coming home and is like oh I got you a sample of face wash, or here is a tester of perfume etc.

Yeah I'm sure they will give you tons of samples...You should do really well during the holidays with your sales...Good luck with your business!

aleksis210

My manager used to bring boxes out of the back room and say to me(worked at lancome) and my friend(worked in fragrance) Take this stuff home!...You have to keep everything in a room, and you have to keep your purse in a separate room as well, so don't bring anything too valuable! Dillard's was an awesome job, Lancome was NOT easy, but my friend who worked in Fragrance had a blast!

DivaINC

Thanks everyone...I am sure I will be the oldest at the counter (34) and I was bummed to learn there was no commision...but happy about the job.

TISH1124

Quote:
Thanks everyone...I am sure I will be the oldest at the counter (34) and I was bummed to learn there was no commision...but happy about the job.

I have seen women much older than 34 at the counters....Older women have bills too...unfortunately.

ginger9

I am not trying to be snippy but I'll be frank if I was a manager and an employee on her first day of work asked if she can take samples home it would not make a favorable impression on me. It may not be a big deal but I'd wait until I've worked a few weeks at least. The economy is in the dumper, massive layoffs is just ahead of us. If I were you I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my employment. Jmho.

DivaINC

First off it was a bit snippy..I would NEVER ask if I could take anything. I would wait until my manager offered for me to sample something. I would never assume. Its not my property..why would I take it without knowing or having permission? Seriously.

ginger9

No where did I mentioned or suggest that you would "take it without knowing or having permission".

You asked for feedback I gave you one.

Quote:
If I am in Fragrance...can I bring home samples as well? Or is that a big no no? Thanks you guys for all the feedback..

I suggested that I thought it was advisable you wait a few weeks (if you decide to ask). There's no need to get defensive. It's just my opinion and you are on a forum so be prepared for opinions you may not find that is going to support what you want to hear. If you don't like it just don't take heed that's all. I'm not here to start arguments by all means. And congrats on your job, enjoy I mean it really
smiles.gif

circusflavouredgum

I guess it depends on the state and the location. I have worked for them before and I know they are very tight on employees taking home samples and testers unlike other stores I have worked at (Nordie's, Bloomingdale's, Macy's).

In most other stores, you just have to get a slip of paper signed by the cosmetics manager and then leave the items in the security/package check room. At Dillard's you have to get a slip signed by the cosmetics manager, the ops manager and/or the store manager. You then leave the package in the security room which can take upto a few days before the whole process is done.

Some people just get the items directly from the vendors (the people who work directly for the fragrance lines, not for Dillard's) and don't bring them into the store at all. When you go to the fragrance "schools" they will generally give you a bottle of whatever fragrance you're being trained on. Sometimes the vendors will offer to meet people out at their cars and give them bottles as a reward for high sales of that line, etc.

As for being the oldest...no way! My dillard's had mostly women that were 50+ in the cosmetics department.

I recently started at a dillards that was in the process of opening and is opening. Well in order to get stuff you go to classes where vendors come and introduce you their products. If your store is already open then most likely you missed it and you wont get anything until they come back. but they were generous about it chanel in my area gave everyone atleast 3 bottles. but really depends on your vendors and how many tester they are willing to give you. but hope u have good managers cause storing opening sucks they make you set up the store so embrace yourself for some manual labor

gretjones

Congrats! I love working at the Dillard's in my area! At our Dillard's they just don't let you take whatever you want home but sometimes they have credit app contests where if you get a credit app you get to pick a tester to take home. I got a bottle of Ed Hardy lotion last week.
smiles.gif