Am I too old to become a MUA?

makeupbysarab

I don't like my work, I only doe it because I have to save money and is the only thing that I can do with my language capicity. It's just that if I follow my dream is like have to chose betten a carrer or my boyfriend, because for him making the course or moving back to Portugal it's not a option. All the stuff that pass around me it's making not knowing what to do. I know he wants me to become a MUA, but he doesn't want me to go allone to Portugal or spend so much money in a course, and doesn't want to go either. It's like: do it here without the course!!!!! And, I don't know, I know that it's not fair to have to choose between my carrer and my love life. But at the same time I am with my boyfriend about 6 years. I don't know... Sorry I have left the topic.

LC

hi sara...

please do not worry about taking a makeup course. the best way to learn makeup is by experimenting and just doing it. youre 22, youre just a baby, you are not too old at all! my suggestion is to join modelmayhem.com, this is an international site. once youve joined, browse the "castings" section. here you can find photographers who are in need up MUAs for their photoshoots. focus on experimenting and building your portfolio. once you feel fairly confident in your skills, apply at your MAC store or counter. Don't let your language barrier be an issue. i too lived in germany a few years ago and worked as a bartender not knowing any german.
live your dreams, dont let anything stop you

makeupbysarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
hi sara...

please do not worry about taking a makeup course. the best way to learn makeup is by experimenting and just doing it. youre 22, youre just a baby, you are not too old at all! my suggestion is to join modelmayhem.com, this is an international site. once youve joined, browse the "castings" section. here you can find photographers who are in need up MUAs for their photoshoots. focus on experimenting and building your portfolio. once you feel fairly confident in your skills, apply at your MAC store or counter. Don't let your language barrier be an issue. i too lived in germany a few years ago and worked as a bartender not knowing any german.

Thank you very much, I think that I need to practise my language skills tll their perfect.
winks.gif

colt0410

22 isn't even old, don't stress. I turned 22 this past July, with my birthday money I took a four week course, and then applied to MAC. By October, after all the interviews, I was a MAC makeup artist. I was like you in the sense that a lot of people I know don't consider being a MUA a profession. But if you want it, go for it. At least that way you can look back and have no doubts. And on another note, just from my personal experience, MAC likes hiring people from different countries. MAC is all about diversity, and accepting all different types of people. I'm actually half Portugese and half Hawaiian. I wouldn't worry about racisim there.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Kevyn Aucoin was self-taught. I don't think you have to take a makeup course to learn the skills that you will need. You have so many free resources at your disposal, like this site, youtube, etc. I would start there, watching tutorials of looks that interest me, and practicing on myself and others. Also 22 isn't old at all. In the States, that's when most people who went to college graduate, and at the time, they have little to no work experience. They are starting at 22 just like yourself. When I saw the title of this thread I thought you were going to say you were in your 50s or something, which still would have been fine. 22 is nothing!

I'm 24 this year and have just finished a make up course. On my course there were people aged 18-50 years old! So at 22 you're fine. I don't think there is an age limit if you're good at it!

SarahC0612

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
hi sara...

I second this completely.

First, let me echo everyone else on here and say you are certainly NOT too old. In fact you are the perfect age! I WISH I had gone after my MUA aspirations at 22! I am now 33, and I just got an offer to work as a freelance artist for MAC. I have 0 formal training or courses. Because Makeup is something I have always enjoyed, I sort of learned on my own how to do it. The more I learned, the more I sought out opportunities. I talked to the people at my MAC store, and at Sephora. I read all of Robert Jones and Kevyn Accoin's books, which are very helpful! I also found the "MAC Bible" for like $12.00 on Ebay and bought it. (this is like a training manual that MAC gives to their employees). You do not need any formal training. You can learn enough to get your foot in the door at MAC, or any other line you'd like to work for, and then THEY will train you.

Before applying at MAC, I figured I should get some experience. So I started doing wedding makeup for friends/family. Once I had enough to make a VERY modest resume, I turned it in and some pictures of my sister on her wedding day (after I did her MU), to the manager at my MAC store. That lead to the interview... etc and I just today got the call about the freelance offer.

Trust me. This is something you can do. Start out small, like a part time job at sephora or a cosmetic counter at the mall. As far as the language barrier, I don't know what to tell you about that one. You are obviously fluent in English, are there places in Germany where the people speak english? I have never been there so IDK....

Good Luck. If you want something bad enough, you have the power to make it happen girl. It is up to you!!!!