Anybody corner themselves into buying something they're apprehensive about?

josie

I find that when I'm at MAC, I ask some questions and often I'm curious for suggestions about items I'm not exactly ready to buy yet, like a bronzer I just purchased on Saturday. I was just asking about some contour colors and I'm not very keen on bronzers, but I purchased her suggestion anyway, knowing full-well I'd more than likely end up returning it.
thmbdn.gif

I know that, obviously, the MAs are trying to make sales. I just walk myself into it. Just lamenting
ssad.gif
I need to learn some self-control.

Divinity

I started off like that too just buying everything that was recommended to me or things that the MAC peeps RAVED about. Not worth the hassle of having to return anything, so I make sure I love it before I buy now and try not to feel bad about saying 'no.'

HOTasFCUK

Yeah i used to be like that too.....having a hard time saying no! But now i usually go there knowing what i already want (since i always get info & see swatches here) and i only leave with what i went there to buy or whatever else caught my eye!!

Josie- I LOVE your name!!! LOL its my name too!!!
smiles.gif

cutiebe2

I'm glad im not the only one. I have a hard time saying no. Its just that the MAs are soo friendly and nice so it makes it easy to say "okay!' Plus you know they need the sales

I brought a bronzer today (not expecting to). I don't think i'll return it though. It could come in handy

josie

I think its a confidence of not being able to say "no" sometimes, and for the time-being convinced that items look good on me (and I mean often-times the thing I walk out with and end up returning do look good lol), but then of course, like I said, it ends up being a fleeting fancy. lol I'm an easy sale (also an easy return too :X). If any of y'all find me in your stores, don't take advantage of me, ahhaa -- I'm asking for it again, am I not? Gosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTasFCUK
Yeah i used to be like that too.....having a hard time saying no! But now i usually go there knowing what i already want (since i always get info & see swatches here) and i only leave with what i went there to buy or whatever else caught my eye!!

Josie- I LOVE your name!!! LOL its my name too!!!
smiles.gif

lol I love your name too
graucho.gif

MAC_Whore

Awww, don't be afraid to say no. It's your money and your decision. A good way to step away from the MA is to say, "Great, thanks for your help. Let me think about it while I look around and I will come find you when I am ready to purchase." That gives you the opportunity to step away and either leave or come back to them.
winks.gif

elegant-one

Never
smiles.gif
No one could ever talk me into something I'm not interested in. In fact, it kinda drives me crazy when they try to...doesn't matter where I am. Now a suggestion - I will take it into consideration. I guess I just know what I like & what I don't like.

josie

Thanks y'all. I guess I just get a li'l frazzled by all the commotion and heavenly makeup all around me lol

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie
Thanks y'all. I guess I just get a li'l frazzled by all the commotion and heavenly makeup all around me lol

That's understandable
winks.gif

Simply Elegant

Maybe you should try researching new products so it's easier to say no if it's something you're definitely not interested in. I'm just guessing, but I think most MAs would rather hear "no thanks I'm not interested in that", rather than you buy it and then return it later.

CantAffordMAC

I dont have that problem. A couple of times the MA's have been like...not pushy but, pushy. But i tell them over and over "no thanks, no Im not interested"

I guess I just have good MA's around where I am because they are sooo not pushy. I have the guy I stick to now and he knows me well and he is soooo relaxed like he is cool. If I tell him the color is not right hes like, okay lets try something else. And at the end when I am pointing at things for him to put in my bag he'll ask if I wanted something, and if I say no, theres not even anymore conversation about it.

I
heart.gif
my MA!! And....also I am not going to buy something if I know I dont like it.

josie

I think part of the issue is that I mostly have other people go to the store for me (Ick... Am I one of the few gals in the world who hates going to the mall!?) to pick me up stuff, so I don't have too much of a familiar relationship with any of the MAs there. And when I am there it's always busy, so everyone's bustling around pitching hauls, ha Can't blame y'all though, gotta chase the paper.

SoSoAmazin

I was like that but for me it was about self control.. I've been a lot better about it lately though so I'm proud of myself
smiles.gif

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie
I think part of the issue is that I mostly have other people go to the store for me (Ick... Am I one of the few gals in the world who hates going to the mall!?) to pick me up stuff, so I don't have too much of a familiar relationship with any of the MAs there. And when I am there it's always busy, so everyone's bustling around pitching hauls, ha Can't blame y'all though, gotta chase the paper.

True. Maybe theres one you can get close to? I always saw this guy around the mall and in MAC and I wanted him to do my makeup so bad, even before I got into MAC. Turns out that my ex boyfriend went to school with him...and plus they still see eachother in the mall and also at the gym. So basically it was meant to be lol. I started seeing him, and it turns out that his personality is just awesome...like he really makes me feel comfortable and I have liked what he's done on me more so than the other artists. He is a dream come true and I dont like going to anyone else really....hes all mine
greengrin.gif

Maybe you can start searching for your MA..
th_DANCE.gif

josie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSoAmazin
I was like that but for me it was about self control.. I've been a lot better about it lately though so I'm proud of myself
smiles.gif

There is hope for me. :p haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
True. Maybe theres one you can get close to? I always saw this guy around the mall and in MAC and I wanted him to do my makeup so bad, even before I got into MAC. Turns out that my ex boyfriend went to school with him...and plus they still see eachother in the mall and also at the gym. So basically it was meant to be lol. I started seeing him, and it turns out that his personality is just awesome...like he really makes me feel comfortable and I have liked what he's done on me more so than the other artists. He is a dream come true and I dont like going to anyone else really....hes all mine
greengrin.gif

Maybe you can start searching for your MA..
th_DANCE.gif

Yeah. Even though I've been a longtime consumer at MAC, surprisingly I still feel slightly intimidated by the artists.
ssad.gif
Probably because I always get someone else to go out to the mall and buy stuff for me. Eh.

User49

Sometimes I think you just need someone to give you an excuse to buy it so you don't feel as guilty. Half the time people buy on impulse anyway. xx

LMD84

i've never once bought something because i felt i had to buy it. but as others have said, generally when i go into a mac store (or any store really!) i already have an idea on what i want to buy and get out of my trip there. i'd never go in for the hell of it and buy alot of stuff and then think 'doh! didnt need/want that!'

i went into the pro store in london at the weekend and a wonderful american girl helped me out. i wanted a couple of paint pots and blushes. told her what i already had and hwat colors i like, she then reccomended me a couple, tried some blushes out on me and i picked 2 paint pots and one blush. i also got some mixing medium because i said i liked playing with my pigments and she reccomended i get it. and i'm perfectly happy with her service and my products.

Bip Bipadotta

Oh, this sounds familiar! I just bought MAC Angel l/s. Why? Only because of the 15% off free shipping deal and some positive comments in Makeup Alley. I am so hoping it's nothing like 15 Minutes which I already have and am not so keen on.....