baking pies

MACATTAK

We use both metal and glass
smiles.gif

noahlowryfan

thanks. does anyone know where i can find a glass pie plate that is 9"? i have a Pyrex one that is 9 1/2" and a lot of pie recipes calls for a 9" one.

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlowryfan
thanks. does anyone know where i can find a glass pie plate that is 9"? i have a Pyrex one that is 9 1/2" and a lot of pie recipes calls for a 9" one.

I'm sure any Walmart or Target will have one.

user79

I have a metal one that is coated with a non-stick layer, it's really good but you can't slice the pie directly in the pan because it scratches the surface, unless you use a plastic spatula or soemthing.

*KT*

Personally, I wouldn't worry about having a 9 and a 9.5 inch pie plate. 1/2 inch difference diameter (across) isn't going to have any adverse effects. When I make a pie, I just grab my pyrex dish and make it without any regard for what size the recipie calls for and what size I've got... and half the time, I'll cop out and use a disposable tin one so that if I'm taking it somewhere, I don't have to bring home a dirty gooey pie plate.

That said, it's never a bad idea to have two pie pans just in case you're bringing dessert to a bigger gathering and need to bring two pies....
winks.gif

newagetomatoz

Whenever I've made them, I use glass, but that is just basically because we have it and its there. But I really don't see that there would be much of a difference, as long as you grease (or whatever) before hand.

And as far as 9" vs. 9.5" pan goes, I really wouldn't worry about it. It would probably still turn out the same, but the 9.5" pan might make it a little less deep than a 9" pan would. The same recipe and principles still work.