Banning Pit Bulls

purrtykitty

There's been a lot of debate about this lately in my city because of this:
Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

And this is the latest update:
Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

Many people in Omaha are calling for a ban on the breed. A couple of years ago, Council Bluffs (the city just across the Missouri) banned the breed. Personally, I'm on the fence because it's a given that any animal (dog, cat, etc...), when cornered, is highly likely to attack. But, some breeds, such as Pit Bulls, are more prone to sudden, unprovoked attacks. I really despise demonizing animals and specific breeds because of conditions that its owners often create such as not creating a proper environment or even properly leashing the animal (dog, usually). The owners often just set the animal up to fail.

I feel at the outset, there should be requirements before anyone is allowed to have a potentially dangerous animal, such as a Pit Bull. We require registration and background checks for guns, why not potentially dangerous animals? I also think that people need to be re-taught how to deal with and approach strange animals. My parents taught me never to approach a strange dog, even if the tail was wagging and to always ask the owner if I could pet his/her pet. I don't want to place all the blame squarely on parents, but too many times I have heard that either there were children entering the yard and/or children were taunting the dog.

Again, I really think this problem needs addressed from multiple angles, and that it's not just one person's fault. This is such a hot topic with many people. I just wanted to see what others thought about this.

clslvr6spd

I just hate people....

Irresponsible and Ignorant Dog Owners

Characterized by a complete lack of common sense and or manners, these dog owners come in three distinct varieties - Dumb, Dumber and Plain Stupid.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I also don't believe in dumb people owning pits.

I really think that's actually the crux of the problem - stupid pet owners in general.

Shimmer

Pet Pitbull - Positive Press

It is the crux of the problem, really. How many people yearly do poodles and poms bite? A LOT, a LOT LOT. They're snippy, aggressive, yappy little dogs. They bite readily, yet they receive none of the same negative press.

IMG00056.jpg

That's my mom's/brother's pit. Yes. She's strong. Yes, she can be aggressive, if provoked. Yes, she *will* protect whoever she's leashed. No, children can't take her for a walk or anything like that, she's too strong.

But she's smart. And she's loving.

sflores900

I think that there should be a screening of applicants for these people who want to own these "bully breeds." Also, in the next town over there is a law that owners of these types of dogs had to have atleast $10,000 in homeowners insurance and had to have a good and inspected fence. They also would like for the dogs to become Canine Good Citizens but it wasnt a requirement. This has lowered the types of people who own pit bulls and dogs along that nature. I think these dogs can be great pets but its the owners responsibility to socialize them.

purrtykitty

Yeah, I heard a statistic where Boxers and Labs bite more frequently than Pits, it's just that Pits do more damage because pound for pound, they're a stronger breed. That's why they're reported on more.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflores900
I think that there should be a screening of applicants for these people who want to own these "bully breeds." Also, in the next town over there is a law that owners of these types of dogs had to have atleast $10,000 in homeowners insurance and had to have a good and inspected fence. They also would like for the dogs to become Canine Good Citizens but it wasnt a requirement. This has lowered the types of people who own pit bulls and dogs along that nature.

Pene's taking the CGC class, and for the most part doing really well in it. They classes are really good, and it teaches dogs to listen to their masters and to control themselves.

Pet Pit Bull - Sad Reality

^^^
NOT SUITABLE FOR WORK, OR IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH OR EMPATHETIC HEART.

sflores900

Quote:
Pene's taking the CGC class, and for the most part doing really well in it. They classes are really good, and it teaches dogs to listen to their masters and to control themselves.

I think its great when any dog takes the CGC class. Our german shepherd took and did well in it, he listens alot better and just has better manners.

clslvr6spd

Quote:

Pet Pit Bull - Sad Reality

^^^
NOT SUITABLE FOR WORK, OR IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH OR EMPATHETIC HEART.

I just died a little inside after reading and seeing all of that...
weeping.gif

Thank you sooo much for posting that! It just breaks my heart more than anything to see that.

effboysinthebut

This topic always gets me... "heated."

I've been around pit bulls all my life. I've never been attacked or bitten.

It's how people raise them. We have two pit bulls who are like little children that follow you around and cuddle. They're really sweet.

It's not the breed, it's the owner.

Both our pit bulls were strays, so I cannot say how they were treated before hand. However I do know that one of our dogs is really genuinely afraid of people. If you make sudden movements towards her she cowers.

And as far as putting down dogs that have a history of abuse or fighting, they can be rehabilitated. I'm sure there are some that can't, but they should at least be given a chance.

I heard a story once about a couple putting their dog down because a kid jumped their fence and was attacked. There is no way in heck I would murder my dog for them protecting their home. That may seem harsh but that child shouldn't have done that. It's not the dogs fault.

The ban is ridiculous. I agree that the owner should be found fit in order to own one but I don't see it happening.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by effboysinthebut
I heard a story once about a couple putting their dog down because a kid jumped their fence and was attacked. There is no way in heck I would murder my dog for them protecting their home. That may seem harsh but that child shouldn't have done that. It's not the dogs fault.

The ban is ridiculous. I agree that the owner should be found fit in order to own one but I don't see it happening.

See, that's exactly why parents need to educate their children more. I don't think it's fair to the animal when it's doing what its supposed to - protect his or her property.

Now the lawyer in me says that you're not allowed to protect your personal property with deadly force (I know it sounds ass-backwards, but that's the law in the majority of states) and in many cases a well-trained guard dog qualifies as deadly force.

Do I think the law is right? Not really...I sure wish I could protect my stuff in any way possible. But human life is supposed to be more valuable.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
See, that's exactly why parents need to educate their children more. I don't think it's fair to the animal when it's doing what its supposed to - protect his or her property.

Due to neighborhood children climbing fences and what not, we're required to have locks on all the gates around our pool at all times.

Kids do stupid things, I know. I've got 4 of them, but it's incumbent upon parents to tell the kids "Don't approach that dog, you don't know him", and "Stay out of the neighbor's yard. NEVER swim without an adult present." things of that nature.
Whenthe parents fall down on that job, poop occurs.

elegant-one

My son was simply walking his dog (on a short leash) down the sidewalk in the city where he lives & this pit bull runs out of this guys house door & lunges at my son's dog which is a small toy fox terrier. He picks his dog up & holds her over his head to protect her from the pit, then the pit ended up biting him pretty bad in the chest/ribcage. Fortunately, he did not require stitches, but has a scar.

This man was warned several times before about his dog. Someone witnessed it & called the cops, so they went to this guys house...guns drawn because this dog was so vicious. The guy was cited, had to go to court and eventually moved from the area where my son lives. The dog was tested for rabies, but my son was never notified about what happened to the dog after that.

Not really sure of the history of the guy or the dog.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Due to neighborhood children climbing fences and what not, we're required to have locks on all the gates around our pool at all times.

Kids do stupid things, I know. I've got 4 of them, but it's incumbent upon parents to tell the kids "Don't approach that dog, you don't know him", and "Stay out of the neighbor's yard. NEVER swim without an adult present." things of that nature.

Whenthe parents fall down on that job, poop occurs.

Exactly! But now, any kid who climbs over a fence and gets bit by a dog, the parents sue the dog-owner instead of yelling at the kid. How is the kid supposed to learn that behavior is unacceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
My son was simply walking his dog (on a short leash) down the sidewalk in the city where he lives & this pit bull runs out of this guys house door & lunges at my son's dog which is a small toy fox terrier. He picks his dog up & holds her over his head to protect her from the pit, then the pit ended up biting him pretty bad in the chest/ribcage. Fortunately, he did not require stitches, but has a scar.

This man was warned several times before about his dog. Someone witnessed it & called the cops, so they went to this guys house...guns drawn because this dog was so vicious. The guy was cited, had to go to court and eventually moved from the area where my son lives. The dog was tested for rabies, but my son was never notified about what happened to the dog after that.

Not really sure of the history of the guy or the dog.

Yet another shining example of a stupid dog owner.

Shimmer

A Good Pit Bull

A Good Pit Bull is a very people-oriented dog. It's a dog who smiles at your visitors and greets them with a wagging tail. A good Pit Bull is confident and alert, and like most canines, will let you know if there is something around the house or in your driveway. However, a good Pit Bull will let YOU take care of intruders because YOU are the leader and its YOUR job to protect the pack. Your dog should not have to interpret threats and act on them.

You "hopefully" didn't get a Pit Bull to protect you anyway. If you needed a guard dog, you would have looked into other breeds more suitable for protection, or best, just get a good alarm system. You would not impose to an animal the responsibility to judge situations and make intelligent decisions that could eventually bite him back in the ass if ever he was wrong...!

You got a Pit Bull because you wanted a trustworthy and friendly companion, and maybe a dog with an impressive look and confidant demeanor so people would "think" you have a good guard dog. You have since realized that YOU better be the guard dog because your Pit Bull is indeed more at risk of being stolen than your TV.

Don't be bummed. If ever you are the victim of an act of violence, a good Pit Bull will probably instinctively attempt to defend you because you are the food provider and he depends on you for his survival (and yes, he loves you too ;-) If you are not being aggressed though, a good Pit Bull will be friendly with anyone with no distinction in regard to age, sex, skin color, clothing, ect, because a good Pit Bull is a stable dog and you have socialized him well.

You can take your good Pit Bull in public and do breed PR with him because you trust your dog and your dog trusts you. He is not unpredictable, unstable, fearful, uncontrollable, or selective of who he "likes" and who makes him uncomfortable. Your good Pit Bull will work with you to improve the reputation of the breed by showing people how cool and friendly good Pit Bulls really are.

If your dog is not like that, please do not take him in public and do all you can to keep him out of trouble. Remember that we are the solders of an important battle. Our dogs are no ordinary dogs. They are being "targeted", "pointed at" and "outcast" by society. They are on the verge of being completely banned out of this country. Our dogs have something to prove right now, and so do we.

Good Pit Bulls have good owners!

I totally agree with most of you when you say it is the owner's responsibility. It is sad and wrong to punish something (whether it a dog, cat or person) that does not know any better. I also agree with the idea of having certain laws/restrictions/classes for people interested in "dangerous" dogs.

I personally was attacked by 2 pit bulls when I was 7 years old (thankfully I wasn't terribly injured). I didn't provoke them (I was in my neighbor's driveway about to leave when they pushed passed their owner and started running towards me), but they had only seen me one time before the incident. I can't blame them for thinking I may have been a "threat."

xsnowwhite

I disagree with bannig the breed entirely. I think there are many responsable people who own pitbulls and others who are completely irresponsable.

lalunia

I couldn't agree more with the comments about stupid dog owners. They should be banned, not the poor dogs. My boyfriend is a proud owner of a 3 year old pitbull who is always behaved. He has been taking training classes with him and knows to respect his master and now even listens to me
smiles.gif
. But, to get respct you must earn it, and that is especially true in case of a dog and his master.

I live in Chicago and this debate has been going on for ages. The sad this is, criminals here often kidnap the poor dogs to use them for dog fights, or simply dont treat them properly. My boyfriend was walking his pit downtown one day when some guys came up to him with a knife and tried to take the dog away. Thankfully, Rex growled well enough to scare them off, but what can a criminal like that possibly teach that dog?